Figgins at 2B and my AL-Only League

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Figgins at 2B and my AL-Only League

#1 Post by viper »

I have an interesting situation and am open to opinions.

Background; AL-only auction league, normal 14-hitting positions, 1 game positional qualification, no bench.

Figgins will be 2B eligible for the second week of the season. I would think you would try to get a decent 3B for the corner slot and then a $1 player at 2B/MI with a higher dollared corner at UT. My going in plan is several $1 players which sort of contradicts Todd's thoughts on drafting balance in AL this season.

For week two, I move Figgins to 2B, my 3B corner to 3B and my UT to CO. My $1 player becomes my UT. Clearly this means I have to draft four somewhat scarce corners at the auction table.

Alternatively I can draft wiht the thought of Figgins at 3B but just waiting for injuries to come which allows some adjustments. But I still need a $1 player somewhere, I think.

Any thoughts.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Figgins at 2B and my AL-Only League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

First. if this is a 10-team league, my $1 comments are not necessarily apropos.

Second, with a 1-game eligibility rule, Figgins will be targeted and probably go for more than he should.

Third, I'm not so sure I would be so quick to want to use him at 2B with the quality of the 2B and 3B pools, assuming I had some pop elsewhere.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

I agree with Todd..

As a 2b on draft day, his price goes up....Bit 2b is deeper this season also...But as long as you still use a MI, it could still work.

Most of you should know by now how I feel about figgy at 3b this season. At the auction table, take what the draft gives you....if Figgy is fairly priced, i have no problem with him a 2b...And then filling in with a lower cost everyday MI..maybe a luis Valbuena type..

I would have to figure that in the AL this year, it will still be easier to buy a lower cost CI or $1 UT to fill the CI slot than it is to find a productive $1 MI....

I would look to institute your strategy Viper, but wouldn't be married to it if the draft didnt unfold that way for me...

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

At draft day, he will only be 3B qualified.

The only thing/person I am married to is my bride of 41 years. And today we found out we will be grandparents for the first time.

Today was indeed a good day.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

CONGRATS MIKE!!!!
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#6 Post by Tampa Bob »

That's great news, Mike. Congratulations! Hope you're exercising cause you're going to need a lot of energy soon.

rotodog

#7 Post by rotodog »

Congrats on the new arrival on the way!

I meant that if everyone knows Chone will be eligible for 2b after week 1, his price might go up for the simple fact that many owners may discount him as a 3b only I think...

I know how you feel about where the stats come from...I feel the same way...But in the back of many minds, I think bidders will be a bit more hesitant on Figgy 3b only..As a 2b and with dual elgibilty, I think a couple guys go the extra buck or two where they wouldnt have as a 3b only...

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

Mike - congrats on the coming addition.....I have three grandchildren now and our younger daughter just got engaged, so there will be more on the way. ENJOY every minute you can - the great thing about grandchildren is that after your turn, you get to say thanks, give them back and walk away.

Okay back to baseball......whatever Figgins is worth he is worth...his position doesn't matter. In another thread I pointed out that the Mariners had Lopez at 2B and Figgins at 3B.....from an offensive POV, it doesn't matter which positions they are at (defense is their problem). YOUR fantasy team is the same as their offense.....you have Figgins at 3B....get the most production you can at the other positions you have open.

Sure you have position flexibility during the year - it shouldn't mean you screw up your team because Chone will have two positions.

It DOES mean that you could take a flyer at 2B, MI, 3B or CI......for instance you have your MI and CI positions filled....................with your UT position you could take a flyer on Jake Fox.....if he works out you could later move him to 3B if your MI or 2B wasn't playing as well as some hitter on your reserves. capiche?

rotodog

#9 Post by rotodog »

Captain Hook wrote:Mike - congrats on the coming addition.....I have three grandchildren now and our younger daughter just got engaged, so there will be more on the way. ENJOY every minute you can - the great thing about grandchildren is that after your turn, you get to say thanks, give them back and walk away.

Okay back to baseball......whatever Figgins is worth he is worth...his position doesn't matter. In another thread I pointed out that the Mariners had Lopez at 2B and Figgins at 3B.....from an offensive POV, it doesn't matter which positions they are at (defense is their problem). YOUR fantasy team is the same as their offense.....you have Figgins at 3B....get the most production you can at the other positions you have open.

Sure you have position flexibility during the year - it shouldn't mean you screw up your team because Chone will have two positions.

It DOES mean that you could take a flyer at 2B, MI, 3B or CI......for instance you have your MI and CI positions filled....................with your UT position you could take a flyer on Jake Fox.....if he works out you could later move him to 3B if your MI or 2B wasn't playing as well as some hitter on your reserves. capiche?
I agree 99.9% with everything said above... The only curve ball I have thrown into the Chone 3b debate has nothing to do with Chones PVIAV ( Todd, I am really liking this new acronym) ...His value is his value no matter where he plays. But for the purpose of roster construction , you kind of support my argument of his skill set playing better as a 2b when you stated the example with Jake Fox...

All that I have been contending is that when you roster Chone as a 3b only, I slightly limits your choices later on because you are not getting power from 3b.... Now that he will be 2b elig after week one, I think his market value goes up a bit even if his PVIAV stays the same.....As a 3b only, I think the market discounts Figgy a bit as many might be hesitant to put a player at 3b that will hit 3 HR... With 2b elig, I bump him up as I think its easier to get my speed at the expense of RBI and HR from the MI spot especially in an AL only league where we dont have the same number of options to buy power at the other positions that a Mixed league would allow....

So I agree 99.9%.....I also agree that I wouldn't plan my draft to force a strategy, but if the draft unfolds the right way, You have options because you can slide Figgy to 2b after week one...