Will this team be remotely competitive? How can I improve?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
daweasle
Major League Veteran

Will this team be remotely competitive? How can I improve?

#1 Post by daweasle »

Man oh man - I woke up with a headache/hangover and barely remember the night before - as the clouds started to go away it dawned on me that I spent last night at the bar - doing my baseball auction.

Turns out I was drunk enough to really screw it up.

It is a 16 team mixed H2H - I punted saves, and I punted Stolen Bases, and I punted avg, and I punted power, and I punted studs.

Not sure what my plan was -

this is what I got:

Pitchers (I am sposed to have 8 not 9) somehow i drafted 9 - and no 3B
James Shields
Jair Jurrgens
Derek Lowe
Ben Sheets
Ted Lilly
Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Kevin Corriea
ARELDIS CHATMAN - I really wanted him.

C Victor Martinez
1B James Loney
2B Chase Utley
3B - OPEN - (how did that happen?)
SS Yunel Escobar
MI Skip Schumaker
CI Nick Swisher
OF Matt Holiday
OF BJ Upton
OF Jason Kubel
OF JD Drew
UT Hideki Matsui
UT Chris Young (ARIZ)

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: Will this team be remotely competitive? How can I improve?

#2 Post by daweasle »

Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Kevin Corriea

one (or more) of those guys are easily droppable -
which one would you get rid of first? (to pick up best available third baseman)

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

either 1 of the 2 not named Correia would be my vote.

Cut yourself some slack, the team is not that bad at all. I like your OF a lot. Your MI is real good as well. But yes, your Corner situation leaves a lot to be desired. If you have no 3B, someone must have some extra 3B. Find them and pay what it takes. I'd rather pay a little more and solve the problem now than stare at a black hole at my 3B spot all year.

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

Not bad at all for being shithouse drunk..

Except your favorite pitcher is a guy I never heard of.. :D

As far as dropping a pitcher..You want upside or blah that might not hurt you?

Take Blah first I guess and be looking for the signs of upside from Bailey while he is on the Waiver wire...You very well might get sick of blah after one month and drop em for Bailey..

Blah= Corriea
Upside = Bailey
Arroyo= potential ERA+ whip killer...But as soon as you drop him, he pitches like Cy Freaking Young...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

WARNING -- you're not gonna like this...

I'd trade or jettison Ardolis Chapman. You have a TON of risk on your staff already. Last thing I want to do is add more.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

#6 Post by Macca11 »

Just wanted to ask about the punting categories aspect of daweasel's draft. Would it not be better to try to draft/buy a couple of low-rank closers than just abandon the category altogether?
I can see the logic of punting a category if things don't work out during the season, especially if you end up with only one closer (we've all been there, I'll bet), but at least then you'll be able to trade your remaining closer for help in other categories.
In fact it might be a better tactic in my league, where the bottom three teams are relegated, so it is almost as important not to finish in the bottom three as it is to win the league. But for most leagues, in which, as Ron Shandler says, it's first place and the rest are losers, can punting a category ever really help win a championship?
Hope I'm not changing the subject and hi-jacking daweasel's team analysis here, just curious.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

lawr
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by lawr »

you ever hear the 60's frat rock tune, "double shot of my baby's love" by the swinging medalions. opening line is:

woke this morning
my head felt so bad
it was the worst hangover
i ever had...

anyway, this looks more than salvagable.

and, i am not sure what kevin correia did, save on really ugly year, to invoke the wrath of the gods. he is a great keeper, specially in petco. a former first round pick, check out his second half numbers and then think again about dumping him.

personally, homer bailey is the one who has not shown much of a spark in my view.

i see ben sheets as tradable (what has he done the last two years, and check out his career w/l before you start thinking HOF).

but, todd may be onto something in trading chapman. if you can get the equivalent of kouz for him, that would be great. and, as it is, chapman, bailey, and arroyo would give you three cincy pitchers which is too many from a team that will struggle to play .500 ball.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by daweasle »

in regards to the closers - (punting saves)

It is a head to head weekly matchup with the following categories:
W L SV ERA WHIP IP QS K

A decent-good starter can get you
1W 4-6Ks 1QS and 6-7 IP if he has one start that week - or double that if he has two starts

A closer can only get you
2-3 SV 3-4 K and 2-4 IP each week.

And mediocre closers have the ability to kill you in the LOSS department because nearly everytime they pitch they are in a close game with the game on the line.

I ran with closers the first 6-7 years I was in this league and one year my closers got hurt/lost their job whatever and I just added some SP from waivers and realized my team was actually better without closers.

I have run without closers for several seasons now and made the playoffs every year.

Mickey4081

#9 Post by Mickey4081 »

An average team. The good news is it's a h2h league where most anything can happen from week to week which can only help your team. For your team to contend you'll need the following to take place....

1. James Loney sheds the Mark Grace costume and provides some power.
2. Yunel Escobar busts out
3. BJ Upton goes 20/40
4. Jason Kubel doesn't regress too much
5. Chris Young lives up the hype of yesterday
6. Hidecki Matsui goes yard 25+times
7. James Shields doesn't continue his downward trend.
8. Ben Sheets puts up good numbers and avoids the dl
9. You somehow pick up some lucky waiver wire gems
10. Chapman puts up Randy Johnson numbers

Hambowen

#10 Post by Hambowen »

Mickey4081 wrote:An average team. The good news is it's a h2h league where most anything can happen from week to week which can only help your team. For your team to contend you'll need the following to take place....

1. James Loney sheds the Mark Grace costume and provides some power.
2. Yunel Escobar busts out
3. BJ Upton goes 20/40
4. Jason Kubel doesn't regress too much
5. Chris Young lives up the hype of yesterday
6. Hidecki Matsui goes yard 25+times
7. James Shields doesn't continue his downward trend.
8. Ben Sheets puts up good numbers and avoids the dl
9. You somehow pick up some lucky waiver wire gems
10. Chapman puts up Randy Johnson numbers

Or you could just get great matchups every week. We have all seen that happen in our football leagues.

I am someone who does not like to punt cats but those categories just scream punt saves at me. So that is probably the best decision.