Elijah Dukes released by Nats

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
rotodog

Elijah Dukes released by Nats

#1 Post by rotodog »

Looks like Elijah Dukes was just released by the Nats.

What does it mean? I am not sure but It could mean couple things. Who plays RF now?

1. They dont like Elijah.
2. They want Ian Desmond to play RF to make the team.
3. They traded Christian Guzman and got a RF in return.
4. Dunn will move back to OF, Adam Kennedy will play 1b...

In any event, It looks like Ian Desmond is the lucky benificiary in any situation. I would bump him up if I were drafting today until I heard otherwise from the Nats team...

AllstonRockCity

Re: Elijah Dukes released by Nats

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Is Wily Taveras still on the team? yikes

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

i think dukes was his own worst enemy. so talented. but, like milton bradley, just had trouble fitting in. too bad, and he will get another chance.

as for the nats, who knows? they did so much outfield juggling already. but, i do like desmond, and cannot imagine putting dunn back in the outfield.

as mitch williams noted the other day when asked about dunn's defense, "he has terrific power."

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Dave - I don't like any of you suggested scenarios

two words (if you are looking for the upside play) = Justin Maxwell

rotodog

#5 Post by rotodog »

Actually, I forgot about him in my haste to get out the news... I actually always loved the kids tool set...Good call perry..

50 Desert Eagles

#6 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Is maxwell worth a decent gamble? honestly? Hey roto where u get ur info so dang fast?

rotodog

#7 Post by rotodog »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Is maxwell worth a decent gamble? honestly? Hey roto where u get ur info so dang fast?
So fast? Its a huge industry secret... But it starts with R and ends with a D. And it rhymes with moto-curled....

So dont tell anyone...... It is still a lightly traffic roto news site for just us.... :D

50 Desert Eagles

#8 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

So according to other sources, Jason will battle Roger Bernadina for the spot....either worth a gamble and a drop postion of Kenshin KawKawKawKaw?

rotodog

#9 Post by rotodog »

I think you meant Justin...

But considering they called up Justin Last year when they need OF help and then you figure in the fact that bernadina stinks, I would gamble on maxwell...... Think Andrew mccutchen when you consider maxwell.... 15 HR power/40 Sb speed..

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll buy Maxwell as an upside play, but since it is still three strikes and you're out, he will have difficulty realizing that upside.

Maxwell should not be compared to McCutchen at all -- even in a casual "15-40" sort of way.

McCutchen is 23 and can control the strike zone very well as he will walk 10% of the time and make contact over 80% of the time.

Maxwell can take a walk, but with a contact rate LESS THAN 70%, well, he does have upside...if he can hit the ball.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

50 Desert Eagles

#11 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

So WHO has more value/upside---The old Dukes(where he had a starting gig) or Justin Maxwell, where it appears, he will have a starting gig?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Willie Harris is also in the picture -- I don't see any one person having any value in a mixed league where you need 450+ AB to be useful.

I can see Maxwell and Willie Harris having a smidge more value in deep leagues.

Until they call Jermaine Dye.....
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

50 Desert Eagles

#13 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Since we are talking value...What about Corpas? Now with Street and Betancourt going to be DL'd.....does he get the next chance or Morales?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Please start a separate thread for a separate question.

rotodog

#15 Post by rotodog »

todd,

I was referring more to the stat line upside on paper... But you are correct. Mccutchen as a baseball player comp isnt the best...

But given a full season worth Abs, you dont think 15/40 is even possible in the future?

I have been keeping an eye on J-Max for a about 3 years now...And I think the reason he has been kept around is because of the tools he has..Now those tools may still be raw, but couldnt they be refined to produce a productive player...

We also have to consider that his progress was stalled in 2008 due to injury after his 2007 breakout A ball year..

2009 wasnt stellar, but he was shuffled back and fourth a little later in the season...

I agree that he will need to be better than a 70% Ct hitter to be successful, but he does seem to be able to take a walk...

He did have a 73% Ct rate in about 100 Major league ABs last year..

Consider Adam Jones for a second..

In the minors he was a toolsy OF with 15-25 HR power and a little speed. Although I dont have minor league contact rates available, he was striking out in about 25% of his ABs in the minors and over 30% of his early Major league Abs.. He also was a bit more free swinging because he never approached a 10% walk rate in any upper minor league or major league season...

Then in 2008, he gets FT MLB ABs in baltimore and begins to blossom a bit...reasonable K rate of 22.5% ...Ct rate of 76.9%

in 2009 and as a roto sleeper, he develops a little further....

K rate of about 20% but with a CT% rate of 74.6... And we all agree that Adam Jones is a successful ML player with maybe more upside with a similar skill set...

If Adam jones can refine his tools at the major league level and a similar skill set, isnt it possible that Justin Maxwell just needs a little time refine his raw tools?

Now, i wouldnt be breaking the bank to own Justin maxwell and would never advise others to do so, but he could be a useful major leaguer someday soon if given the chance in a place like Washington that has nothing to lose by giving him a job....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

No problem with 15-40. Well, that's not true. I think that is EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC.

If you want to say you think he can go 15-40, say it.

But when you say "Think Andrew mccutchen when you consider maxwell.... 15 HR power/40 Sb speed.." without any qualifiers, you are effectively comparing them, insinuating they are not only similar in production but in style.

You don't need to reference McCutchen to say you think his upside is 15-40.

Which is what I said when i said..."Maxwell should not be compared to McCutchen at all -- even in a casual "15-40" sort of way"

Casual implying solely in terms of production, not style.