Perry on Bumgarner

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
IronMarshal

Perry on Bumgarner

#1 Post by IronMarshal »

In Perry's Cactus League report on 3/15 he repoted taht Bumgarner had a mediocre outing.

What was mediocre about it?
Is his velocity still down?

I am curious because a drafted him last year and managed to carry him all season looking for a quality keeper (which I chose not to), and our draft is this weekend. I usually like to take a shot at a young player or two. Any suggestions beyond Strasburg, Chapman, and Heyward? I was thinking about taking two of Bum, P Alvarez, Storen, J Garcia, D Brown,M Stanton and B Posey (NL only 5x5 league). Thoughts?

rotodog

Re: Perry on Bumgarner

#2 Post by rotodog »

IronMarshal wrote:In Perry's Cactus League report on 3/15 he repoted taht Bumgarner had a mediocre outing.

I am curious because a drafted him last year and managed to carry him all season looking for a quality keeper (which I chose not to), and our draft is this weekend. I usually like to take a shot at a young player or two. Any suggestions beyond Strasburg, Chapman, and Heyward? I was thinking about taking two of Bum, P Alvarez, Storen, J Garcia, D Brown,M Stanton and B Posey (NL only 5x5 league). Thoughts?
All good names in an NL league. Depending on if you have to pay them and carry them active or if you have a reserve to stash them away in will make a difference. if you have to carry them active, take a player that has a chance to play this year..I mean a real shot... If you have a resereve, then load up on as many as you can grab...

Couple things..Heyward wont be cheap this year... so be ready..
Storen could be closing in Washington before the end of the year
Jaime Garcia has looked good this spring and could wrestle the 5th starter job form Mcclellan...

Although the world is getting excited about Jenrry Mejia in NY right now, he may provide some meaningful stats in NY this season in a Joba type role..Or he can be a surprise Rotation guy at some point..

Mat Gamel is being forgotten about this year...Still has promise..
Deep, deep league speculation: Matt Antonelli 2b SDP...

Ike Davis could make an appearance in NY this year...I mean, he only has dan murphy and mike jacobs in his way...

Kris Medlen in ATL is quite good and has a job as a MR right now..and might be the first guy out of the pen when a starter goes down...

and I could go on and on..

But one kid I really love is Chris heisey in Cincy....Check him out..he might not show eye popping stats compared to others, but I have heard scouts, players and managers rave about the kid..

2 more to not forget..Jordan zimmerman for 2011 and FLA 1b GAby Sanchez...I think he wins the job out of ST...

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

i really like heisy, too. we saw him in the fall. he reminds me of kotsay without the bad back. does a lot of things very well. not killer a la pujols, but very very well. sweet swing.

rotodog

#4 Post by rotodog »

Lawr,

Not that they swing or hit a ball the same way, but doesnt your impression of heisey as a kid that does a lot of thngs good remind you of someone? SOunds like a former ROY, MVP 2b in Boston that scouts and others never gave a lot of credit to. But in the end, he is a valuable player and a valuable roto player too..

I remember reading a couple AFL player blogs this fall and really being turned onto to Heisey.. The thing that stuck out to me was when Star prospects were saying things like:

"Best pure hitter I ever played with "
"Has an advanced approach at the plate"
"I learned more from watching Chris heisey hit and talking to him than I have from many coaches "
" Chris heisey impressed me most this fall"

I am paraphrasing, but that was the basics of what they were saying.. From there, I youtubed some At bats and dug deeper.... In an NL league last night, I filled my offense and had 2 pitcher spots left and some turd dropped Chris Heisey name for 1 dollar and got him..he was going to be my first reserve rd pick.....I wanted to cry :cry: :cry:

I would love to see this kid in person as you did and see if I get the same impression..

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

IronMarshal wrote:In Perry's Cactus League report on 3/15 he repoted taht Bumgarner had a mediocre outing.

It looks to me like you have multiple questions there:
1) Bumgarner - continues to pitch himself out of the rotation. In general first year pitchers are very bad investments
2) Which young player should you take a chance on?

The answer to #2 which also influences #1 is TOTALLY LEAGUE DEPENDANT......so you really need to give me league size, scoring, rules regarding drafting rookies, what happens when they are sent down and perhaps most importantly whether you are looking for a player that will help THIS year or a player with great long term potential that you should try and get on your team.........again former vs latter is dependant on your keeper list and whether you are contending this year or building for future (obviously hoping in a perfect storm to do well this year but being more concerned by team development.)

I can give you a first blush answer or you can give me all that information and we can make a more informed recommendation.

IronMarshal

#6 Post by IronMarshal »

Perry,
My league is a 5x5 NL only auction keeper league. We have a $260 auction cap, Standard 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 3950 AB, 900 IP mins. We also have 4 reserve/bench spots that are snake drafted and have $5 salaries attached. Their salaries do not count against the auction cap, but against the regular season cap of $320. We have 7 keepers per year. Base salary from draft/auction is kept for two years plus 1 option year. Long Term Contracts tack on $5 per year from option year on through the extension.

I got Howard, Pence and Lincecum as rookies for $5, Hanley as a rookie at $1, Broxton, the year he became a closer for $3. My keepers are now Howard at $20, Pence, Lincecum and Josh Johnson at $15, Hanley at $16, Broxton at $8 and Jay Bruce at $7.
I usually am competing for the title due in part to having made fortunate speculations on young players as you can see, also that I have more information/knowledge about fantasy baseball and both major and minor leaguers (I don't know anyone in our league who uses Mastersball, and I don't ask or tell about the site to my competitors...Sorry, I do tell others however ;-)).
I have won 4 out of the last 5 years, and finished second the other year. So I expect to compete agains, but I always have my eye on the future.
As for the future. Howard will be FA next season, Hanley, Lincecum, Broxton and Pence are FA in 2011. We are only allowed 5 LTC and can (LTC) contract a player only once.

IronMarshal

#7 Post by IronMarshal »

rotodog,
Thanks.
I know that Strasburg, Heyward and Chapman will be high this year. Gamel went in last year's draft when I took Zimmerman, Bum and Alvarez. He should be cheap this year. Heisy is a good name as well. the others are helpful and something to think about.
Because of injuries, Zim and J Parker won't help this year. They will be hot next year.

rotodog

#8 Post by rotodog »

One thing I always do In an AL/NL only leagye with a Minors or reserve roster. Take as many names to the draft with you as possible.

Its nice to have specific player targets, but If you love a young guy, chances are someone else loves him to. In a snake reserve like yours, a lot of your first choice players may get grabbed before you get a chance ..

And I suspect if your at the top every year, your getting last pick in the reserve... So as your 1st choice stud players get grabbed ahead of you, make sure you have a long list of names to choose from and not get caught focusing on 2 or 3 guys....

Even though it is an NL league, the reserve roster of 4 is pretty tame. That means the Waiver wire could have enough players in case of major injury to one of yours...So in those cases, I would take as many stabs at hitting the lottery with a talented rook than to grab some utility IF for the Pitts pirates as a back up...

of course, if there is a fairly valuable active player left for the reserve, it doesnt mean you dont take him.. I saw Juan Uribe left for the reserve in an NL this year... because of his multi eligibilty and decent enough talent, I grabbed him as a backup before any rooks..Besides, all the Great names were gone already...

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

Okay, following up, these are the players I would get
1) Storen for a buck or two at the end of the auction

2) In the reserve rounds my order would be
i) Stanton
ii) Posey (because of catcher value)
iii) Heisey
iv) P. Alvarez
v) Domonic Brown

(note there are others better than some of these - not sure when your draft is......if you read some of the reviews of "Industry Leagues" that Lawr and Todd and I have done and will do you will get some input.....need to read between the lines sometimes......there may or may not have been some comments in the February Mock draft.........there will be at least a few columns in my Platinum Blog titled "Hook Slides")

The reason I would pay for Storen (aside from making sure I get him....and at a lower price) is because it is SOOOOO much easier to replace a pitcher with one of your reserve picks. The other practical matter is that if you bring up one of the hitters too early you pay too much.....if you wait until the end and have control with a $2 bid (read "The Power of Two) AND you think you can get enough of a bat in reserve then go ahead.....much easier when you can just "draft" the player IYKWIM