Draft Strategy In A Keeper League

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
rw0

Draft Strategy In A Keeper League

#1 Post by rw0 »

The facts...

In my longstanding keeper league, I managed to keep Braun, Longoria, Kinsler, Votto, and Sandoval. Our draft is this weekend. I have the first pick and am a heavy lean toward taking Pujols.

Ours is an 11 team league so I follow the #1 pick with picks # 22 and 23. Historically, the ADP provided by our league host (CBS) greatly influences the draft. Thus, I anticipate some combination of the following players being available to me at the R2/R3 turn: Rollins, Sizemore, Jeter, Werth, McCann, Cano, Bay, Phillips, and Markakis.

In addition, CI guys like AGonzalez, Morneau, Youkilis, and Zimmerman may be available (but will not be drafted by me because I will have filled my 1B, 3B, CI, and U positions via my keepers and pick of Pujols in the first round).

A handful of top arms were kept in my league: Lincecum, Haren, Verlander, Carpenter, Lee, Lester, JJohnson, Cain, Hanson, Jimenez, WRodriguez, and Kershaw are all unavailable.

The questions...

1. Considering the head start on offense I have by virtue of my keepers and the depletion of the pool of elite arms, should I take at least one elite starter at the R2/R3 turn? Should I take two? Options might include: Halladay, Felix, Greinke, and Sabathia.

2. My keepers leave me short on speed. Is it better to opt for a pair of power/speed guys at the R2/R3 turn? Some combination of Rollins, Sizemore, Werth, and Phillips?

3. If you prefer option 2, do you prefer it no matter the selection of bats available to me at the R2/R3 turn? If I am staring at McCann and Bay at the turn, do I opt to take at least one pitcher then?

Options, options, options. What to do...

Many thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Strategy In A Keeper League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

There will be TONS of speed later, especially if you have really bullied up your power numbers and can afford a 4 HR, 40 SB type.

My take would be the best hitter and the best starting pitcher, and if Rollins is the best hitter at that point, I would do a freaking jig.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord