Trade Heyward for a Draft Pick?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Austinio

Trade Heyward for a Draft Pick?

#1 Post by Austinio »

12 Team Mixed CBS, Keep 5 plus a Minor League keeper (no round or dollar value on keepers), points league
start: 1B,2B,SS,3B,3 OF, Util, 7 Pitchers

I am considering an offer of a 4th Rd Draft Pick (equal to the 107th overall player) in exchange for my Minor League Keeper, Jason Heyward

my keepers are Ryan Howard, Kinsler, Tulowitzki,Wright, and J Upton so I've got a nice start on offense

SP are worth a lot in this league (3 pts for IP, 1 pt for K...) and my main objective early will be to get SPs early and focus on value breakout hitters later like Bruce, Riemold, Snider, etc

At 107th overall, I'd probably be looking at a #2/3 OF or a #3/4 SP (someone like Wandy Rodriguez, Scott Baker, Tommy Hansen might be there)

Captain Hook

Re: Trade Heyward for a Draft Pick?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Please take two aspririn and get a nap.....In a keeper league don't even consider for a minute trading Heyward......especially not for a draft pick

#3 Post by Guest »

Perry I think the question asked is a little bit different.

He can only protect 5 a year. The question is whether or not Heyward will be worth one of his 5 keepers next year in a 12 team mixed league. If not, it's a question of whether one of those players mentioned is worth more than Heyward this season. I think it's fairly unlikely Heyward will be in our top 60-75 players next season in a 12MIX but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I would push for a higher pick before making a decision. But it's not cut and dry.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Would an option be holding onto Heyward and trying to trade him during the season for something greater?

Off-topic, but something I want to mention as it might relate to your handling of Heyward.

Just because the raw points of starting pitchers might be high, that does not necessarily mean their value is as high. Keep in mind ALL starting pitchers get scored highly and you are most concerned with how many more points your guy scores as compared to how others are scored.

If the best SP scores 500 and the worst one active scores 300, you are +200. If the best OF scores 400 and the worst active scores 150, you are +250 which means the best OF is worth more than the best SP, even though the SP scored more raw points.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

i can see trading heyward, but at this moment in time and space he is worth a lot more than what was offered. you should be able to get an actual star, if maybe one who is overpriced, for him.

and, check out todd's thought. if that is workable, that is a good way to go.

Austinio

#6 Post by Austinio »

GaryJ better phrased my question...thank you

I can trade "in season" so, as Todd suggested, the other option would be to wait on trading him (if at all) and see how the season unfolds. I appreciate the reminder on position replacement value.

as a pharmacist, I appreciate the aspirin advice; however, 2 aspirin really wouldn't help me! unless I'm so stressed by the decision that I have a headache or am heading for a heart attack! ;) a nap sounds pretty good though!

in my trade proposals, I began asking for a 3rd round pick and got back the 4th round offer. AT 107th overall, it's not quite enticing enough.

With the weekly H2H format, SP are valuable because of the 2 starts in some weeks. In the past, I've generally ignored closers and focused on a strong SP to maximize the # of (good) starts in a given week.

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Austinio wrote: as a pharmacist, I appreciate the aspirin advice; however, 2 aspirin really wouldn't help me! unless I'm so stressed by the decision that I have a headache or am heading for a heart attack! ;) a nap sounds pretty good though!
hey me too. hospital or retail?

Austinio

#8 Post by Austinio »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
Austinio wrote: as a pharmacist, I appreciate the aspirin advice; however, 2 aspirin really wouldn't help me! unless I'm so stressed by the decision that I have a headache or am heading for a heart attack! ;) a nap sounds pretty good though!
hey me too. hospital or retail?
retail grocery store in Durham NC - Go Durham Bulls!