Text Alerts - Who do you use?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Text Alerts - Who do you use?

#1 Post by Black Sox »

In the leagues I play in once a player clears waivers, they can be picked up anytime by simply dropping someone to make room if needed. Because I speculate so much on saves, when switches/injury's occur it's normally fastest to the computer wins. Last year I was constantly beat by a team whenever important new broke, I assume he was getting text alerts to his email or phone. Just wondering who other people have found gave them the edge. I personally hate Twitter/Facebook but am starting to realize that Twitter in particular can provide an edge. Just wondering others thoughts.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

rotodog

Re: Text Alerts - Who do you use?

#2 Post by rotodog »

Well,

i just google fantasy baseball text alerts and found a ton of options.. CBS, ESPN. MLB etc.....

if your league is hosted at some place like CBS, I am pretty sure they have text alerts you can set up for players/ news/ transactions etc in your league..

I am looking into it now as I am in a daily league this year myself...

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

all my leagues are once a week FAAB. As you age, these leagues become much more appealing. :D
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#4 Post by Black Sox »

I use CBS for my sites. I'm trying ESPN alerts right now. Got me the J.Nathen info aprox 2 min before it posted on CBS. I know it sounds silly, but this guy just killed me on this stuff last year and since his strategy was similar to mine, we were constantly after the same players. I lost out on F.Rodney by 30 seconds ( I know it's F.Rodney, but 38 SV's is 38 Sv's :) )

I'd like to do FAAB but CBS doesn't offer it ( I like to trade, and prefer 10 team leagues which is why I haven't made the switch to NFBC )
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

rotonut

#5 Post by rotonut »

viper wrote:all my leagues are once a week FAAB. As you age, these leagues become much more appealing. :D
AMEN to that!!!

Plus, it evens the playing field. Often times, it's the guy who's sitting around his computer or checking text messages who ends up with all of the free agents while others, you know, those employed by employers who actually want us to work on their stuff, are shut out. Call me crazy (and lots do), but I rather play in a competitive league where everyone is on equal footing. But, that's just the opinion of one married-with-children-and-a-full-time-job-an-a-life-outside-of-roto guy.

cwk1963

#6 Post by cwk1963 »

Black Sox wrote:I use CBS for my sites. I'm trying ESPN alerts right now. Got me the J.Nathen info aprox 2 min before it posted on CBS. I know it sounds silly, but this guy just killed me on this stuff last year and since his strategy was similar to mine, we were constantly after the same players. I lost out on F.Rodney by 30 seconds ( I know it's F.Rodney, but 38 SV's is 38 Sv's :) )

I'd like to do FAAB but CBS doesn't offer it ( I like to trade, and prefer 10 team leagues which is why I haven't made the switch to NFBC )
Yes they do.

50 Desert Eagles

#7 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I wonder if a certain site could have something like this for ACTIVE members with the PLATINUM plan that they purchase. A good reliable site that is with plenty of REAL experts and caring guys......hmmmmmmmmmmm wonder where there might be such a place...... 8-) ;)

JP Kastner

#8 Post by JP Kastner »

I wonder who he is talking about?

I looked into it. We are not big enough to do it ourselves, so I looked at outsourcing it. That was cost prohibitive as well. Sporting News just dropped all their leagues to focus just on providing that kind of 24-hour content. We just need to get bigger.

50 Desert Eagles

#9 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Partnership sounds like a good way to move.....they got the techno and the dollars and you got the brains!

#10 Post by Guest »

I think you'd find that there really aren't too many sites who can do both well. Generally the sites which focus on news and also provide fantasy content are generally providing content to newer players and are not providing advanced fantasy information.

There certainly is room as sites like ours grow to do more after-the-fact fantasy analysis in more of a real time fashion (which by itself is a huge undertaking and why only a couple like rotowire/world take it on) but my suspicion is that those of you who like us for what we are wouldn't like us as much if we were trying to fit that market niche.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't use it and I realize you may not get the info as fast as a text, but wouldn't following some reliable people on Twitter be the fastest way to get info?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

50 Desert Eagles

#12 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Like most that work at a desk, I do go to and from a computer all day(thus this comment now), but phone is my side 24/7. Just like earlier today I got a txt about tiger playing in the upcoming event...I did jump online and saw nothing right away....(espn txt) Of course everyone is different and I am not suggesting dropping what you do. But an automated system setup isnt that complicated for someone to mass send alerts or team up with someone that already has it in place...thats all I was thinking, either way I will keep on this site, but its like ordering the pizza, you will still get it with cheese, but add more toppings and most ppl will like it more and maybe throw a few more bucks at it. As everyone else says....Just Saying..... :idea:

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#13 Post by daweasle »

MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL SHARE PHONE NUMBERS AND SEND OUT MASS TEXT MESSAGES EVERY TIME WE SEE MAJOR NEWS ALERTS....

WE'D HAVE TO USE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF DISCRETION CAUSE I REALLY DON'T CARE IF BILL HALL BREAKS A FINGER NAIL (UNLESS HE TAKES OVER THIRD BASE WHEN BELTRE SUCKS)