Nathan with a torn UCL

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Nathan with a torn UCL

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

Per Rotoworld.

Guerrier and Rauch should be bumped up your lists for this year.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Re: Nathan with a torn UCL

#2 Post by aburt19 »

With his performance in the playoffs, it makes me wonder if this injury dates back to then and was the cause of that
performance. Latest is that he's going to meet with James Andrews, which is never a good sign.

Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

Bodhizefa wrote:Per Rotoworld.

Guerrier and Rauch should be bumped up your lists for this year.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by Bodhizefa »

aburt19 wrote:With his performance in the playoffs, it makes me wonder if this injury dates back to then and was the cause of that
performance. Latest is that he's going to meet with James Andrews, which is never a good sign.
Honestly, I was worried about him before this whole Spring Training ordeal began. Seeing him pitch with such poor control and variable velocity in the last month of the season led me to believe something was wrong. I had hoped it was just the bone spurs, but it didn't surprise me at all when I saw he had a torn UCL this morning. He'd be smart not to put the surgery off, but they almost always seem to try to get through the pain causing the eventual return from TJ to be delayed even longer. If he waits too long, it's possible he misses all of next year as well, and that would put him at 37-years-old by the time he's pitching again. This could possibly be the end of Joe Nathan as a closer.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

arghhh.

there must be something about my buying $17 pitchers at labr.

last year i got ervin santana the day before he got hurt for $17.

this year--and i did not see the elbow news as explained--i got nathan for $17 and pow.

sigh.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#6 Post by Black Sox »

Opinion: Is it Guerrier or Rauch? This is why I hate/love having to troll for saves. Love the fact I can leave a draft without them, and still finish well, hate the guess work and always having to make tough decisions about my bench.

I went with Guerrier and with only 6 man benches I really can't afford to carry two speculations for one team. Hope I made the right pick barring a trade. :?:
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

JP Kastner

#7 Post by JP Kastner »

We are watching the situation very closely. Clearly you should cross him off your list.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

It is complete conjecture with respect to the closer.

I don't think you can absolutely rule out Jesse Crain either.

And if they play matchups, Mijares is in the picture.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#9 Post by JP Kastner »

If they go with one closer, I think Rauch will get it at first as he has experience and had some success closing.

rotodog

#10 Post by rotodog »

Can anyone see both guerrier and Rauch being ineffective and Neshek getting the audition by June 30th as long as he is healthy? I do think Neshek will need a couple months to wring out the rust, but once he finds his groove, I think he may be the best suited... He did have k/9 and the control to succeed even if prone to the long ball at times...

The other thing: He is a nut job, and I mean that in a positive way...He has the mentality to close games...he has the mentality to shake off a blown save...

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#11 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:It is complete conjecture with respect to the closer.

I don't think you can absolutely rule out Jesse Crain either.

And if they play matchups, Mijares is in the picture.
My question is which fortune teller you are going to before you split up the saves at this next update. :lol:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Neshek is in the picture, though it is a wait and see after TJS.

A lot is being based on his 2007 numbers, but realize he had a BABIP well below normal and he walks people and gives up homers. Depending on how much his BABIP regresses, he will lose effectiveness.

Sometimes a team has no obvious better option as a closer because they are all weak.

The Twins have several viable candidates which makes it tougher.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#13 Post by CubFan »

I'll steer clear of the Twins closer situation at our AL only auction. Too easy for Gardenhire to switch horses during the season. Crain has not been the same since his shoulder injury in 2007 while Neshek is an interesting speculation but I want to see him shake off the rust and see how his control is after TJS. It's not to say I won't throw a couple $$ at Rauch or Guerrier but I'll let someone else pay to take on this risk.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

If I was Cleveland - I would offer up Kerry Wood today!

lawr
Major League All-Star

#15 Post by lawr »

well, a good setup guy can certainly move up a step, and i would like to think guerrier, who was aweseome last year, and very good in 2007, can shake the even year struggles (his '08 sucked). just based upon guerrier's performance of last year, he deserves a look.

i don't think rauch can be trusted. or neshek.

but, crain, if he can get it back up to speed.

ultimately, though, i think todd is on when he says mijares.

and, the twins play pretty smart baseball all around. they might, as i think rotodog suggested, just play by committee and let someone establish himself, and the keep the ball till there is reason to take it away.

but, again, i have to think guerrier is the front runner.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

Actually, if you are only looking for a handful of saves, not the guy to emerge with 30-something, while everyone else is arguing Guerrier or Rauch, or speculating Crain or Neshek, slide in quietly and nab Mijares, as chances are the load will be divided and Mijares will get the lefty saves.

Just look at the Ray's bullpen last season.

Randy Choate anyone?

50 Desert Eagles

#17 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Yea I looked at Mijares, he has some GREAT numbers.....but someone actually drafted him in my league(#$@@#%!@!!)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

As part of the recent First Pitch Forum series, we had a point-counterpoint debate between a couple of the speakers. For one, I argued that it is no longer prudent to completely blow off closers at the draft/auction. One of the main reasons why was as a fantasy enthusiast, we have become very adept at picking clean the speculative save candidates.

I am in an analyst league sponsored by CBS. We had a 12-team AL only auction a few weeks back and I am the unlucky Nathan owner. FAAB has already begun, so I just went to put in some bids on his backups.

Guerrier, Rauch, Neshek and Mijares were ALL DRAFTED!!!

Well, at least drafted onto a reserve roster.

Nonetheless, not one was available.

And these are the guys backing up one of the best, though he was coming off surgery.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#19 Post by lawr »

i actually argued the same point (don't punt saves) at the bay area first pitch.

and, my argument, even in a mixed format, was that saves might come your way via faab, but, you had to hit it right to nail all the potential ones to be competitive. so, having at least one closer was always prudent.

at least i have fuentes/rodney in labr.

or, maybe in never never land, where i live, in two weeks nathan's elbow will be miraculously healed!