Dye

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
david_hume

Dye

#1 Post by david_hume »

Where does Dye end up? Perhaps more important for early drafters, what are the chances he lands in a part-time role?

david_hume

Re: Dye

#2 Post by david_hume »

okay, i'll give this just one bump. any thoughts? does he really go unsigned through the start of the season, as some have predicted?

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

every day that goes by increases the chances that he'll be a part-timer if/when he does sign. every team has started ST by now. if their front offices felt they needed a starter at DH or OF, they would have come calling by now. at this point, his ONLY chance of being a full time player is if a team already thin in the OF suffers a season ending injury to an OF during ST, then they might give him a job, other than that, he'll be a role player.

as far as MLB teams are concerned right now, they are in the reserve rounds of a draft. anybody they sign is for depth and speculation only, no MLB team is counting on anyone they could sign from here on out.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by lawr »

someone will sign him. 34 homers two years ago and 27 last year. He is only 35, and has 161 dingers over the last five years? and, his average took a dip last year, but his obp and slugging were fairly steady with the past five years.

someone will pay him, and then will want him to play for what they pay.

Mickey4081

#5 Post by Mickey4081 »

If and when he does sign, he will play full time. I'm guessing he's close to signing (no clue where) but the numbers are just not right for him. His asking price is just way too high because there are plenty of teams out there who would gladly send out a hitter capable of .270 30 90.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

not sure there is any place left where he will play full time
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

my guess is a team will get desperate during spring training (injury,ineffectiveness) and he gets a contract

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

At best, he'll get a minor league deal with an invite to get into camp ASAP - and if he doesn't make the roster by such and such a date? He's a free agent. If you want to know WHY he hasn't got a job, refer to his post All Start stats last year - 7 HR 26 RBI (after going 20/55 prior to the ASB) and a .179 BA with a .590 slugging pct. No injury - got 212 ABs - just went south. And he's going to have to show someone that it wasn't a fluke before he gets a job. HOW he can do that is his problem.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#9 Post by Black Sox »

There are rumors he might go to the Yankee's as a part time DH, I'm pretty sure in the time it took me to write this N.Johnson pulled something.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

lawr
Major League All-Star

#10 Post by lawr »

if garrett anderson gets a deal, dye gets a deal. and winds up with 400 abs.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

lawr wrote:if garrett anderson gets a deal, dye gets a deal. and winds up with 400 abs.
He get some sort of under the radar full body transplant? :lol:
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams