Jed Lowrie

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Hambowen

Jed Lowrie

#1 Post by Hambowen »

How are people feeling about him? I have had to hold off on a few deals because i just can't get my head around what I feel about his production this year and long term potential. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated because his name comes up a lot in trade discussions(I am in Boston) but until i get my head around what I can expect I have been holding off.

Also anyone seen early projections on him.

Thanks in advance

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Jed Lowrie

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Strictly in terms of how to project for Lowrie for 2009, I currently have him for 425 PA, 379 AB. With Julio Lugo still on the roster, you really can't project Lowrie for more than that. The Red Sox pursuit of Mark Teixeira shows they are comfortable moving Kevin Youkilis to third, which will likely happen sooner than later since Lars Anderson looms at 1B and is a fixture on top-20 prospect lists. As such, it is not guaranteed that if Mike Lowell struggles, Lowrie will play 3rd as they could move Youk there and put Kotsay or Chris Carter or Jeff Bailey at 1B.

Long term, Lowrie is a "nice player", but that's what we thought about Dustin Pedroia this time last year. As an aside, I think Pedroia is still basically a "nice" player with a higher BA than other nice players. Anyway, I do not foresee the same jump for Lowrie that Pedroia enjoyed and even though the Red Sox do not have a top-farm SS in their immediate system, they obviously have the means to pay for one acquired via trade or free agency, and SS would be one position they could upgrade. As such, it would not shock me if Lowrie were indeed moved, and even though I live in Boston, I do not listen to the local sports radio and rarely read the local sportswriters, so I am a bit naive to the rumors.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Hambowen

#3 Post by Hambowen »

I am pretty comfortable with playing time for 2009, I think Lugo will not take time from him from everything I am hearing and reading(I do listen to the local radio and papers). My main concern is how good is he not if he will get a shot because I think it is his job for the year if he produces.

I agree with you about the nice player. Just having a tough time figuring out what those Ab's will turn into. Your 379 AB's is probably conservative from everything I can gather.

I can't use a pedroia comparison because from the first time I saw Dustin in the minors I was shocked he could even make contact with that enormous swing of his let alone actually get a hit. So he has always confused me and this year I was just dumbfounded with what happened.

Mojo Jojo

#4 Post by Mojo Jojo »

i think lowrie is probably replacement value at short for now. he has shown better contact in the minor so if his mlb ct rate gets to where his minor league rate was...he could hit for average. he had nice pop last year in the first half but i heard he had a wrist problem in the second half and if so that might explain his second half power outage.

if he is over the wrist problem and his ct% get near his minor league numbers i think he would be a decent option down the road. obviously not in the reyes, hanley, drew, rollins, tulo tier but definitely above replacement value