Auction Strategy for 10-Hitter/10-Pitcher AL-only League?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
gmatles
Major League Regular

Auction Strategy for 10-Hitter/10-Pitcher AL-only League?

#1 Post by gmatles »

Hi all! Hoping for some good advice from the more experienced players.

I'm joining a 12-team AL-only league that has active rosters of 10 hitters (1 each of C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, UT + 4 OF of which 1 can be a DH) and 10 Pitchers (any combo of Starters and Relievers) + 7 man bench (any position).

Hitting categories are: OBP, HR, 2B+3B, RBI+R-HR, and Net SB
Pitching Categories are: Net W, Net SV, K, ERA and WHIP - there is no minimum IP requirement

First, I know that the general MB recommendation is to bully hitting and manage pitching by spending 70%-75%+ on hitting. But does that advice still hold for a league like this one where the active rosters are 50% hitters and 50% pitchers as opposed to the more standard active roster split of 14 hitters/9 pitchers or 63%/37% split? Should I change my planned budget allocation splits and if so how - more to pitching, less to pitching, keep it the same?

Second, this league is using Net Wins with no minimum IP requirement. It seems to me in this type of league the value of reliable MR's would be greatly enhanced (especially when compared to SP's with ERA's and WHIP's projected to be above the league average). What do you think of a strategy of going after one reliable SP, one reliable CL, and fill in the rest with decent MR's who may also be in line for SV's. I'd obviously be punting K's but I think it would make me competetive in ERA, WHIP, Net Sv's and possibly even Net Wins. Do you think that this strategy is viable? What else might you do?

Look forward to others thoughts and advice.

GM

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: Auction Strategy for 10-Hitter/10-Pitcher AL-only League?

#2 Post by daweasle »

don't be fooled by the fact that you are taking so many pitchers compared to hitters.

The fact that this is 12 teams - AL only - means that every starter on every team will be rostered (hitters)

things to note from roster composition -
Catcher valuations are gonna be way off - because most leagues have 2 catchers

notice the 4 OF and a UTIL spot - I think the scarce position will be OF

there are only 14 AL teams and each have 3 starting outfielders so 42 starters, plus a handful of platoon guys. you have to roster 4 per team times 12 teams = 48.
plus the smart teams will likely load up on OF early and often - filling their OF and a UT spot - sticking everyone else fighting over whatever is left for OF.

I realize you can throw DH in this category - but there are only 7-8 true DH's who play every day - (the rest are platoon shuffles based on lineups - injuries and whose hot)

at least with the infield positions there are 13-14 teams who have a starting 1B/2B/SS/3B

I would still load up heavy on hitting (especially OF). and I do like your idea of relying on alot of middle relievers. You're going to have to.
There's only 14 closers + 66 decent starting pitchers - that's 80 guys you could think of drafting - but you need to draft 120 pitchers

that means about 35-40 MRs will be rostered after the draft.

I think in this format - ellsbury might be a top four pick. his Sb are awesome - and he never gets caught stealing

gmatles
Major League Regular

Re: Auction Strategy for 10-Hitter/10-Pitcher AL-only League?

#3 Post by gmatles »

daweasle,

Thanx for your reply.

I misstated the roster requirements. For hitters the UT position has to be filled by an IF. This will make the OF's a little a little less scarce at the auction. By the way, you were right on the money with your assessment of Ellsbury value in this league's format. Using MB's customized valuation methodology using the leagues parameters, Ellsbury came out as the hitter with the most projected value.

Again, thanx for your input.

G