Minors Questions For Perry

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
david_hume

Minors Questions For Perry

#1 Post by david_hume »

Ok Perry, here's your separate thread. Curious about D Jennings, J Bell, and J Castro and what impact you see each having in the majors in 2010. Thanks.

Captain Hook

Re: Minors Questions For Perry

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Thanks David - just want everyone to find things

Personally I am very high on all three as PROSPECTS.......I really don't see any of them having much value this year (absent injuries ahead of them)....but let's take separate looks

1) Desmond Jennings - clearly a future star for the Rays.....certainly can't see him cracking a tough lineup this year and if he was a reserve it would have to be a very deep AL only league for him to have any value.....that said, NEXT year Carl Crawford will likely not be with the team - this is his final contract year and would he take significantly less to stay in Tampa? Jennings will be ready for a full time job next year. He should be drafted as a minor leaguer (actually in my home AL keeper league he was drafted three years ago) if your league has those........in keeper leagues where you can bench/move to the minors players and where he would be eligible (bad rules - get a re-write on them) I would even take the play of buying him for a buck or two this year.

2) Josh Bell - now on the Orioles from the Dodgers in the Sherrill trade, and the future at third base for the birds.....but he likely starts at AAA, they did bring back Tejeda to play 3B this year and give Bell another year of experience in the minors. Again draft as a minor leaguer (but not as a major leaguer as I suggested with Jennings)

3) Jason Castro - certainly catcher of the future for the Astros.....but When does that start? I don't think it should be or will be this year, but he is a good prospect at a thin position. Again draft as a minor leaguer (but not as a major leaguer)

david_hume

#3 Post by david_hume »

read that gerry hunsicker said today it would take 'extraordinary circumstances' for jennings to see the majors this year. seems like you're on target. thanks.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey Perry - what can you tell me about Mitch Talbot. All I really know about him is that the Indians got him in the Kelly Shoppach deal and that he was hurt last year. I know he pitched in the AFL title game in place of Strasburg -so how'd he look?
Obviously anyone who can throw the ball decently has a chance to start some games in Cleveland this year - do you think Talbot has a chance to have some moderate success this year at the major league level??

Walla Walla

#5 Post by Walla Walla »

Perry, Welcome back big guy. I'll miss you in Las Vegas. Glad that you and Todd are back together.

John Crane ;)

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

deansdaddy wrote:Hey Perry - what can you tell me about Mitch Talbot. All I really know about him is that the Indians got him in the Kelly Shoppach deal and that he was hurt last year. I know he pitched in the AFL title game in place of Strasburg -so how'd he look?
Obviously anyone who can throw the ball decently has a chance to start some games in Cleveland this year - do you think Talbot has a chance to have some moderate success this year at the major league level??
Talbot is now an on the brink prospect....but he has enough talent that IF (capital I, capital F) the elbow is not bothering him (physicaly and maybe more important, mentally) he could help a poor Indians staff this year - and he needs to or he won't have many more chances.

When he is on, he throws strikes and goes after the hitters with a decent fastball and very good changeup.....but we will see if he is healthy. I will see him several days and have up to date notes.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

Walla Walla wrote:Perry, Welcome back big guy. I'll miss you in Las Vegas. Glad that you and Todd are back together.

John Crane ;)

John, I am even sorrier that I won't be in Vegas to see everyone, but such is life.
Good Luck in your events,

Denny Crane

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#8 Post by viper »

I have Aaron Poreda in a dynasty league. The league started last year so I had to start learning about minors. He was traded to the Padres in the Peavy deal. He came up as an RP but he is supposed to eventually start. Could I have any insights on him?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Gang -- let's start to use the Prospects and Minor League Discussion forum and post the name of the player(s) in question in the subject. Thanks
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

JP Kastner

#10 Post by JP Kastner »

Editor's Note - Moved thread to Prospects & Minor League Discussion.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

viper wrote:I have Aaron Poreda in a dynasty league. The league started last year so I had to start learning about minors. He was traded to the Padres in the Peavy deal. He came up as an RP but he is supposed to eventually start. Could I have any insights on him?
Mike, my apologies, but color me as not being one of the analysts/scouts not being really sold on Poreda. Some have a tendency to see a tall, LHP, who throws hard and fall in lust all over again. I just don't think he is that good and I noticed that Sickels now just thinks him a C+ prospect as well. The only good thing - if you have him in a mixed league - is that San Diego would be a great organization for him to move up in IF (capital I and capital F) he can gain command, work down in the zone and finally put things together.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#12 Post by viper »

I presume you are Ok with my hanson & Bumgarner picks.

I ahve considered dropping Peroda if I need to spot. We have 40 man rosters and all are kept.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

viper wrote:I presume you are Ok with my hanson & Bumgarner picks.

I ahve considered dropping Peroda if I need to spot. We have 40 man rosters and all are kept.
Hanson is Totally different - a clear difference maker (in my NL keeper league I drafted him three years ago)

Bumgarner is an interesting prospect - nowhere near Hanson level but certainly closer to the show with more upside than Bumgarner considering their ages......I think he was overhyped originally but should be a decent....possibly better SP for you.