End Gamers - potential difference makers

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
captgus
Major League Veteran

End Gamers - potential difference makers

#1 Post by captgus »

I think I understand the concept here, you're looking for find guys with upside potential that can put your team over the top. The problem however, is that at this point I usually look over the current team assembled and end up doing one of two things: A)look for viable arms since I've pretty much ignored pitching and most often don't have, what would be considered a true ace. The old, 'throw it at the wall and see if it sticks routine' or B) look to back fill potential spots where the "starter" is an injury concern. Often times with veterans that while offering very little upside, generally won't kill me either.

I feel like this is perhaps my biggest weakness and was wondering if other people have the same problem and if so, perhaps it might be a good topic for the forum?

Trying to correct my bad habits for example, would Xavier Nady be a good "end gamer"? It seems like you could get him late in a draft or cheap in an auction/supplemental draft and yet, could also find himself moving from a 4th outfielder role to a starter with an injury to either Soriano, Byrd or Fukudome. Personally I think he's fit better than Fukudome, as long as his elbow holds up but the money their paying Fukudome isn't going to allow that to happen. At least I doubt it would.

What other players do you guys see as end gamers this year?
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

NateinSpringfield

Re: End Gamers - potential difference makers

#2 Post by NateinSpringfield »

This doesn't really answer your end game question, but listening to what Chicago talk radio is saying and interviews they have done I see Nady and Fukudome being a strict platoon if Nady is healthy. Also he will pick up some AB to give DLee a breather and Soriano. Depending on how his spring goes he may go for the value he will put up, which means probably not an end game option, but then again who knows. Outside of the midwest most may see him as just a 4th OF on the depth chart and not examine the full situation at hand... But if healthy and performing Nady will be the first guy slotted in unless Lou is looking for a MI or Catcher. Baker may edge him at 3rd but it sounds like they are hoping for DeRosa like versatility out of him.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

This happens to be part of the content I have agreed to provide for the upcoming spring First Pitch Forum Tour. My plan was to comb the projection update scheduled for this weekend for names. So please check back later this weekend for some suggestions.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

captgus
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by captgus »

Thanks gentleman! Todd, is the current list of moderators for the First Pitch Forum correct, meaning that you won't be making the West Coast dates this year?
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Unfortunately, it is correct. Only NYC and Boston this time around.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by brooklyn49 »

Shoot, Todd, I was hoping to meet you in person this year.
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Thanks -- but right now, others need me more than the FPF does.

I am also missing LABR and the NFBC, but there will be others. Family first.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by daweasle »

my opinion on the one idea you mentioned - you mentioned that in the late game you like to pickup wiley veterans with a starting spot to fill in for your oft-injured players.

keep in mind if the guy is there in the late part of the draft - he might just be there on the waiver wire.