League Differences Article

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

League Differences Article

#1 Post by viper »

Before I comment, I now realize I need to change the way I search for stuff on this site. At first I could not find the article but then clicked on the Platinum link and pleasantly found the article. That link is not intuitively obvious as a place to check.

I loved the article for special reasons. It shows the depth this site looks into things in making their evaluations/recommendations/etc. It also shows the site will research questions brought up on the board. I loved the conclusion - "I wouldn’t pay for suspected league improvements at an auction or draft but I’d have it in my head there was some upside/downside there."

Some of the tables in the article are a bit hard to follow [at least at first glance]. I need to re-examine them as the Variations are a tad confusing. The article itself is easy to read and follow. More comments after I digest the article more but I thought a quickie response was in order [apologies to Tiger].

Again Kudos to Mastersball.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Re: League Differences Article

#2 Post by Guest »

Appreciate the feedback. I may update the piece only to clarify the variance line - I can see where it's confusing.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#3 Post by aburt19 »

After reading the article, I tend to agree that the correlation between changing leagues and performane (either up or
down) is not convincing enough to make adjustments to numbers. But it will be a factor in whether I go the extra buck on
a pitcher coming to the AL from the NL.

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have a slightly different question. What does the change of ballpark do to adjustments to the numbers? The potential signing of Lackey by the Red Sox brings this to mind. His numbers at Fenway (2-5; 5.75 ERA; 1.66 WHIP, .898 OPS) certainly don't inspire warm and fuzzy feelings. Does this get chalked up to small sample size? Having to face the Red Sox lineup (which he won't do anymore)? Ballpark? All the above (and in which percentage for each)?

#5 Post by Guest »

Boston has hit him well. Good news is as you say, he won't be facing Boston.

We'll change parks for him obviously but otherwise he should put up similar numbers to history.