Reserve Lists

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Reserve Lists

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

As Todd stated in another thread, "This is a story for another thread". Well ...this is that thread.

What do you see as the pros/cons of reserve lists in roto/fantasy baseball? Does your league use them? Why or why not? What is their purpose in your league - Major leaguers? Minor leaguers? An amalgam of those and others?

My take - with the obligatory boring back story. I am a dinosaur, and proud to admit it. I can understand the "need" for modifying the games, etc. and I am aware it goes on in many other leagues. I go back as far as when you rushed to the phone to leave a message for the commissioner when someone switched leagues or some hotshot rookie came up when playing in only leagues (which are the only (nyuk, nyuk) leagues I will play after a brief experimentation with other formats). Needless to say, before the technological advances of today, that became quite bothersome...especially to the commissioner. No reserve lists, simply a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Then we discovered ULTRA - a draft to create and fill up reserve lists with possible replacement bodies and minor leaguers for the future and mildy copy the concept of the ML 40 man roster.. As the competition got better, the more research was needed to be done - Japan, Korea, colleges, Latin America, high schools - even Australia. SO, you had to do your homework. Up to 480 bodies could be spoken for in a single 12 team only league. That worked for quite a while - but then we realized we allowed for no entry into our little universe for anyone who wasn't selected on auction/draft day. So ...FAAB ... a very restrictive one ... but FAAB was born into our little group and we've been happy ever since.

If you can win one of our leagues, you've done something. As Will Sonnet used to say; "No brag .... just fact". We have tough rules that most would blanch at today - but we like it. However, we couldn't do it without reserve lists. The reserve lists make you have to plan your strategy - not just let the luck of the draw determine things down the line.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Reserve Lists

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

This topic as so many layers, we should definitely look to bring it up next January/February when more are around and in the mood to talk about such things.

I don't think you can look at reserve lists in a vacuum. That is, I cannot say "I don't like reserve lists, no league should have them." Factors such as keeper/redraft and DL/minors and ability to activate/reserve all are part of the package.

Taking a step back, I don't know if it coincidental, serendipitous, checken/egg or totally unrelated, but the increase in popularity of leagues with reserve lists was simultaneous with the 4x4 leagues moving to 5x5. This is relevant because the ability to manage a 5x5 staff, that is floating in starting pitchers with better matchups, is readily facilitated using a reserve list. You may not be so eager to have a Gil Meche, Kevin Correia, John Lannan or Paul Maholm on your roster if you could not reserve them, but if you are able to sit them for a Matt Thornton or Ramon Troncoso when they are faced with 2 rough away games that week, you can usually commit a spot or two to some guys like that. It takes away some of the risk of owning them. This is the crux of my displeasure for reserve lists. To me, and I realize this is a personal opinion, but to me the fun and challenge is trying to first project, then value, then incorporate a SEASON'S worth of stats into an active lineup. A reserve list detracts from that aspect, a bit too much for my tastes (and perhaps selfishly -- strength). And it's not just pitchers, you can do this with hitter's too.

I think my LEAST favorite set-up is a redraft league with reserve lists and weekly moves. Unfortunately, this is how Tout Wars and the NFBC operate. In Tout Wars, we did cut down the reserves to 4 (from 6) so that helps, especially since there is not a separate list for players in the minors. There is a separate DL though. In the NFBC, the main even leagues use a 7-man reserve, but there is no separate DL. LABR is a little different. We use draft a 6-man reserve. During the season, you cannot bench a player because he stinks or has a bad matchup. You need to release him, whether you are replacing him with a reserve or a FAAB pick up or a guy you get in a trade. HOWEVER, you can reserve someone you originally drafted as a reserve, you do not have to release him.

Here are my 3 favorite setups, I am fortunate enough to play in 2 leagues that use there rules:

1. OLD SCHOOL redraft with no reserves, but does have a DL list and a minors roster. I don't currently play with this format.

2. DAILY MOVES with a 4-man reserve and no separate DL. This allows a couple of guys to sit in reserve so you don't have to release them, but keeps the free agent pool quite fluid. I play in a local 14-team mixed league with these rules and enjoy it a lot.

3. ULTRA - 17 man reserve squad that includes reserves, farm players and DL players, but here's the catch -- waivers/FAAB are only run once a month. For me, this limits the ability to float players in and out as they can only be replaced monthly, so between farm guys, hurt guys and keeping backups at every position, you do not have a plethora of reserve spots to use to stream pitching. The XFL does this and it is a great setup. I think anyway.

I'll stop here, like I said, I am sure we can get a bunch of discussion on this and other topics come January/February.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

may as well take my own hint and bump up a thread for discussion
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Now, to clarify - in our leagues, you can use FAAB to "rectify" errors - but only to a certain extent;
  • You can't trade or sell FAAB units.
  • You can't trade players acquired via FAAB
  • You can't reserve players acquired by FAAB - you want him? You have to use him or lose him
  • You can't keep him - end of the season, he goes back into the pool
So, to date myself and the Miracle of Coogan's Bluff - you can catch lightning in a Coca-Cola bottle with our FAAB system - but the fizz is gone once the season ends. So, once again, you should use your reserve list wisely. It's one of the reasons why we have said lists.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

I prefer weekly lineups with separate minors and a small (3 man) reserve. This is the format I play the most. The reserve list is drafted immediately after the auction. To me, it helps to mitigate the loss of a major player to injury and you don't have to either blow most of your FAAB or wait for your turn each week when waivers run to get a player. You at least have a small list on your roster to choose from before having to go the FA route.