Game Strategy

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)

Re: Game Strategy

#11 Post by Guest »

I would think that you could get close to the Mayberry plan by simply setting the entire player pool to a set number of PA and then re-running projections and values.

I'm all for letter grades and whatever allows one to organize their thoughts clearly, but I think this site has done a very strong job and will continue to do so in outlining the valuation methodology and its shortcomings.

Ron has done an outstanding job through the years of trying to qualify the quantifiable to take some of the exactitude and precision out of things that by their nature are not precise.

I'd say so long as it keeps your thoughts organized, all the more power to you. However I would make sure the method you use to group players is one you are comfortable with and not something pre-set by someone else.

rotonut

#12 Post by rotonut »

JP Kastner wrote:I've read the MM article a couple of times now. I think it's biggest flaw is that it is too granular. To show you what I mean, let's use Miguel Cabrera as an example as Ron does in the final article. Their first set of projections are up. They have Cabrera hitting 33 HR in 646 PA.

While in spring training, Cabrera breaks his leg during sliding drills. We know that a broken leg takes four to six weeks to heal. We learn that there are no complications and we have an expected return of the third week of April. We can reasonably estimate that he will miss 70 PA on the DL. Using the old fashioned method, we do the math (33/646*576=29). Cabrera looses 4 HR and is now expected to hit 29.

Using the MM method Cabrera didn't change in value. Cabrera's PX score didn't change. Cabrera will still have more than 500 AB so his MMPlayingTime didn't change. In reality, his HR, R, and RBI changed and if you are drafting, he fell a couple of rounds.

The other problem is that it is still completely dependent upon prior statistics. This method isn't going to help you find the next breakout like Joe Mauer.

That being said, I'm all for coding specific pieces of information that help add color to a set of projections. Health, Versatility, Defensive Ability are things that can be coded so that when you are bidding you can decide to spend that extra buck.
JP, while I was reading your post, I was thinking Joe Mauer, and then, a sentence later, you sited him. He's the poster child for your proposition. If you recall, not only did Mauer have a break-out power year, but he was also missed the first month of the season. I "stole" Mauer at my auction for a measley $13 and rode him all the way to a Yoo-Hoo shower. I'd be curious as to how teams that drafted/bought Mauer fared in the typical league. (Sounds like something right up Todd's alley.) Can the MM account for this? For that matter, can any system account for this?

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#13 Post by WillRoy »

I think a skills-based approach which has a balance of risk for certain preplanned roster spots could account for mauer.

I'm still building a model for myself. I just like how MM turned on a lightbulb for throwing away dollar values, and the other ideas I mentioned.

But Mauer's skills were always there. Okay maybe not all the power... And some had their doubts he would develop power, but perhaps a formula accounting for age and the pop that develops (especially considering how catchers develop later) could spot the future guys. I remember taking mauer as a minor leaguer. He was a HUGE prospect. Some projection systems also account for this (MILB numbers I mean).

Scarcity is also key here...I was discussing this with a friend and he thought MM should account for some scarcity. Again though, I can certainly agree that MM is far from an End-all Be-All plan.
Storrs City Chess Company

JP Kastner

#14 Post by JP Kastner »

For the record I drafted Mauer in the Chicago #2 NFBC league and rode him to the title. I cannot remember if I drafted him in the 9th or the 11th. They have changed the baseball site and can't get to it. I do know that I drafted Jason Kubel in the 21st and Adam Lind in the 23rd. :lol:

Can any system pick a Joe Mauer? Not using past statistics. It would be a pure seat of the pants, end game pick. It is what I call "secret power". I'll show you what I mean.

I pulled down the 2003 Baseball America Prospect Handbook and on page 274 it says:
Mauer shows outstanding balance at the plate and generates outstanding bat speed with a smooth left-handed stroke. [...] He has a knack for finding the sweet spot when he connects with the ball. The ball carries well off his bat, and he'll develop above-average power as he continues to bulk up his loose, athletic frame and learns which pitches to turn on.
I remember what I read, so all these years, in the back of my mind, I have Joe Mauer as having "secret power". If the projections said $20 for Mauer last year, I'd bid $21 on pure speculation that he was capable of doing more.

If someone was to break out unexpectedly, he should be around 26 years old, been a full time player for at least three years and have a body type that has the potential for power. I use Kerby Puckett as the classic example. Alexis Rios is another. The scouts say, "could develop power", but the statistics say no.

So, who fits that mold for 2010? Ryan Sweeney comes to mind. Todd and I looked in depth at his numbers. The only sign of life is an uptick in the number of doubles. He has the body to hit for decent power. If he is around late in the draft, I'd pick him as a pure speculation pick.

For the record, Todd thought I was crazy when we talked about it before. Now he'll think I'm completely crazy now that I have said it on the forum.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#15 Post by viper »

WillRoy wrote: Scarcity is also key here...I was discussing this with a friend and he thought MM should account for some scarcity. Again though, I can certainly agree that MM is far from an End-all Be-All plan.
Excluding catchers, in deep leagues, scarcity is not an issue. The lowest dollar players in each real position [Corners, Middles, Outfielders] are essentially the same person. To me personally, the real scarcity issue is where the tier gaps exist for each position. Some positions are top heavy, some are middle heavy, some are bottom heavy and others are balanced. Knowing this is a key to drafting, at least in my opinion.

Last year, I felt that the corners were top heavy and bottom weak. I drafted Corners early. This scheme kept me from drafting the top level middlemen but I felt there were a lot of lower tiered guys there so I waited to some extent - I certainly did not reach to get one although some were there at value in the middle of my drafts. Who knows what the situation will be this season.

Conversations like this should start surfacing once football ends and more people work their way back to these boards.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

To piggyback a little on what viper is saying, I have 3 early observations based on our projections and the several mocks I have already done....

1. Tiers are going to be more important than EVER with this player pool as their are clearly defined clusters of talent and clusters of non-talent at virtually every position.

2. There are fewer multiple eligibility players than in previous years, especially those that qualify in the middle infield.

3. While the quantifiable effect based on replacement level players with respect to scarcity is still fundamentally showing there should be no adjustment to values "in a vacuum", strategically, based on 1 and 2 above, you will likely want to jump certain players up in your draft rankings or go the extra buck or two in an auction.

Sorry, it'll cost you $29.95 to get more details :mrgreen:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#17 Post by WillRoy »

I was focusing more on Mauer more as a scarcity play. Totally agree about the tiers. It's not about giving a bump to ALL of certain positions but making sure you're not "stuck" and planning ahead. I really like the positional chart in the forecaster. The first big big money league I did with the prep of about 60-80 mocks on MDC using the chart. I feel like Mastersball had a color-coded or some sort of sorting for positional tiers as well. I'm sure it's on the way...(*nudge nudge*).

This is probably a topic for another thread but I feel that Catcher is less weak than in recent years.

Viper and anyone else who can explain this, one question:

Why is scarcity less important in deeper leagues? Wouldn't it matter less in shallow leagues?

(Glad I left the title of the thread so broad and unspecific... Hah).

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

WillRoy wrote:

Why is scarcity less important in deeper leagues? Wouldn't it matter less in shallow leagues?

(Glad I left the title of the thread so broad and unspecific... Hah).
This is sort of my bread and butter in the industry and there are several pieces that I have written on the subject that will be available sooner than later, some free and some for subscribers.

The problem with answering the question is everyone has a different definition and application of the term "scarcity."

Here is the definition in terms of THIS discussion. After I am done, you will see why there is confusion when someone simply says "scarcity."

In our system, your value is based off of your percentage contribution of useful stats, which is anything above replacement. Replacement is defined as what everyone else has. If you are doing a football pool and everyone chooses the same team to win that game, the result is immaterial. If the worst player at a position gets you 5 HR, everyone gets that 5 HR so those 5 HR are worthless, aka have no value. Anything OVER those 5 have value. These are the useful stats.

As an aside, and the details of this is the kind of treatment and explanation we reserve for our subscribers, since most roto has multiple categories, the replacement player is "mythical", a composite of the remaining players since the value is a sum of 5 categories.

Anyway...

The simplest means I use to explain this is to consider a 2-team HR Derby league, each drafts one outfielder and one catcher.

CATCHERS

Michaels projected to hit 35 HR
Zola projected to hit 5 HR

OUTFIELD

Kastner projected to hit 45 HR
Leibowitz projected to hit 40 HR

You have first pick, who do you take?

I hope Michaels, even though Kastner and Leibowitz will hit more raw HR. Michaels will hit more USEFUL ones.

Now to answer your question...

If you ignore positions and run values, then go back and look at the number of each position in the draft worthy pool (a league with 12 teams and 14 hitters has a draft-worthy pool of 12x14 = 168 players) the SCARCE positions do not have ample players with a value of $1 or greater. That is, in the aforementioned 12 team league, there are insufficient number of players in the top 168 at some positions to field 12 legal lineups. In order to make them draft-worthy, their value must be increased -- this is mathematically why you pay more for the scarce positions. The thing is ALL players at that position enjoy the same value bump.

How is this quantified? Again, subscribers will get extensive essays on the subject.

The deeper the league, the closer the replacement level is for all the positions.

In a 12-team mixed league, the replacement level middle infielder is worse than the replacement level corner or outfield. So FEWER replacement stats are subtracted in shallow leagues in certain positions, leaving more useful stats leading to a higher value. This is the mathematical reason.

It turns out that regardless of the format, so long as the requirement is 2 catchers, every league has catcher scarcity. As an aside, there are some that think I am off my rocker with this and insist the back end catchers actually return a negative value. My contention is the worst player at each position returns $1 BY DEFINITION.

So in 12 team leagues, the worst 2B or SS is poorer than the worse 1B, 3B or OF so their value gets a bump.

In 15 Mixed, the worst 1B, 2B, 3B, SS and OF are fundamentally the same player -- so there is no mathematical adjustment to their raw value.

That's the nerdy explanation.

As suggested, when you look at dropoffs in the form of tiers, you may want to alter the "raw" value so at the end of the auction or draft, you are better able to assemble a team of maximum points potential.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#19 Post by WillRoy »

Is there a subscribers-only forum I could have posted this in? Might make it easier to shroud information/methodology.

:D

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Todd Zola »

We've been down the subscriber's forum before and have decided to keep everything public -- for now.

Nothing I wrote is proprietary. That has all been discussed by me before in publicly available essays.

#21 Post by Guest »

Will - we're not real fans of the "shroud" mentality (not that you were implying it). These boards work best when the entire community can participate.

What I tend to do is take message board material and test it into site pieces (The league differences article being an example). I'd like to think the premium content is well worth it regardless of what is posted here.

In projection conversations I think its valuable to get everyone's input into the players being discussed - we have always said if subscribers have issues with info given away they should PM us and we'll work it out to their satisfaction.

I am going to piggyback TZ's comments here - There are two kinds of scarcity - one is where literally there are not enough players at the position (or the last players at the position are complete junk). The second is scarcity of players you like.

One thing I do with the tiers (I just excel sort our projections) is I print them and highlight the guys I "like" - purely subjective in nature, completely ignoring the objective projections. The more highlighted names, the less scarcity at the position. There might only be 4 3B I would want to own but 8 SS. Well, 3B is more scarce for me in my league.

Todd and I have had this conversation in the past, that I tend to think there is something fundamentally wrong with discussing position scarcity in terms of the last player rosterable. Position scarcity to me is much more the quality of the position up and down. We simply quantify that quality in terms of comparison to last drafted player.

Once I am done with the stuff I need to get out the door I am going to mess around with this and see what I can effort in this area.

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#22 Post by WillRoy »

The second is scarcity of players you like.

One thing I do with the tiers (I just excel sort our projections) is I print them and highlight the guys I "like" - purely subjective in nature, completely ignoring the objective projections. The more highlighted names, the less scarcity at the position. There might only be 4 3B I would want to own but 8 SS. Well, 3B is more scarce for me in my league.
That's a GREAT idea Gary! This alludes to (for me at least) another problem with generalizing the player pool objectively... I'm not always able to roster guys I like or I feel will break out. What sometimes happens is I get great values but miss the breakouts I Predicted (Greinke and McLouth for recent failures/successes) and especially the man-crushes. Sometimes it can be frustrating enough to want to trade for the guys I missed even though I've got great bargains.

For example, one three-step process I used to use (more complicated but still) was create an auction strategy/use BP projections/Check out other sources and ADP's/AAP's to get a general idea of the game within the game (Metagame might be the term I'm looking for). I would customize it certainly for guys I like and put targets I'd go the extra buck or round for. But most of the time I wouldn't get them anyways. Sometimes the guys I like (as I'm sure happens with most of us) are obvious non-sleepers like Wieters/Upton.

I'm gonna try that idea based on my own criteria and subjective viewpoint and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Todd Zola »

Tiering is something that has come up several times in this thread and I am a HUGE fan of the process. Last season, after the LABR draft which I did in early March, the only thing I had with me is our ranking in terms of tiers. I consider all players within each tier to be the same value, regardless if they are $19 or $16, $34 or $31. Anything within $5 is the same for me. I would then use my team needs in terms of stats and position along with what I feel I can get in later rounds in my drafts or auctions. I was NEVER more comfortable than I was last spring and not-so-humbly, the results reflected that.

Much like the benefits of the Mayberry Method are intuitive to me, doing what Gary suggests, highlighting "my guys" is also intuitive. But it damn well should be after the mocks, projections and profiles I do :lol: 8-)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by Todd Zola »

now with respect to Gary's comment on scarcity -- I agree 100%.

In the day, when I was the "value guy", I had to approach things in a different manner, partly in order to build and develop a certain reputation, leading to a certain level of credibility and respect.

Now, I don't want to be known as the "value guy". I want to be known as part of a group of fantasy players that do a great job of taking the plethora of information out there, filtering and chunking it for you, in an effort to make YOU a better fantasy gamer. Some of this information is the RAW value of players as discussed. SOME. Not ALL.

Call it what you want, strength of position, positional drop off, whatever, all these other connotations of scarcity that cannot be easily QUANTIFIED are integral to being a better player. An example is based on the early mocks. This going to be part of the weekend's worth of Platinum material, but what the hey....

Because of the way others value players and deal with scarcity, I have found the best players on my board between rounds 3-6 mostly outfielders -- most at a pretty big profit. That is, when I have pick 40 in the 3rd round of a 15-teamer, there are OF in the top-30. When I have pick 50, many top-40 are available, etc.

So the "strategy" is to try to avoid taking OF in the first 2 rounds, make sense?

But you also do not want to leave too much value on the table, if the best player is an OF, well...

here's teh thing.

In teh 2010 player pool, after a clearly defined top 3 (Pujols, Hanley, Braun), the next set of players are as close in value as I have EVER EVER seen. So just because an OF is "next", it is just fine to skip him and go to the 3B or 2B or SS. You are not leaving any profit on the table and you can use that OF spot to attain profit later.

To me, this is a form of "scarcity", even if it is the opposite and can be called "abundance".

I have also noted I am not at all happy with the 3B pool, so if at all possible, I will take a 3B early. In fact, in a recent mag mock, I started with Longoria, Wright and Sandoval (who also plays 1B). I got all the players without reaching and induced a real shortage at 3B.

There are other spots in the draft where there are a bunch of SS and a bunch of 2B I like. Assuming I don't get them early, I will aim for one at that spot. Say this is round 8/9. If teh top guy on my board is a 2B in round 6 and there is someone else of almost equal value at another position, I will bypass the 2B in R6 and take one in R8 or R9. Again, this can be considered a strategy based on a form of "scarcity."

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#25 Post by WillRoy »

That makes sense. However, how would you translate those "Round-based-positional-bargains" (What I mean is what you described: bargains at certain rounds for certain positions that are waiting for you assuming you didn't already draft some, as in Outfielders for rounds 3-6) into Auction lingo/Strategy?

My brain generally works rapid-fire with ideas but the part that has me confused is: If everyone can bid on every player (assuming they have the $ left) how can I use those: "RBPB's" to my advantage in my auction leagues?

JP Kastner

#26 Post by JP Kastner »

What makes this such a fun place is that we even disagree.

I'm from the Benchmark School. I set a target to come in third place in every category. I look at last years results and figure out what it would take to get to get third place in that category. If I need 290 HR to come in third, then I'm aiming for 290. Any money beyond first place is wasted. If during the draft it looks like the benchmarks are wrong, then I adjust on the fly.

Once the season starts, I'm tracking where third place is in each category and adjusting as necessary.

The reason I'm not a big fan of Tiers and the MM is that it is difficult to track what you have and what you need.

JP

ps. By the way Todd, thanks for noticing my weight loss and muscle gain. The scouting report on me is "lost probably forty pounds of fat and replaced it with 20 pounds of muscle. Expect a softball power spike in 2010." 45 home runs is a stretch, though.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by Todd Zola »

Lots to comment upon here, I'll break each thought into separate threads....
WillRoy wrote:That makes sense. However, how would you translate those "Round-based-positional-bargains" (What I mean is what you described: bargains at certain rounds for certain positions that are waiting for you assuming you didn't already draft some, as in Outfielders for rounds 3-6) into Auction lingo/Strategy?

My brain generally works rapid-fire with ideas but the part that has me confused is: If everyone can bid on every player (assuming they have the $ left) how can I use those: "RBPB's" to my advantage in my auction leagues?
What I do in an auction is pre-designate how much I want to spend for each roster spot. Here is an example. I'd like to spend 195 on hitting and 65 on pitching.

C 3
C 2
1B 35
2B 15
3B 15
SS 25
CI 12
MI 2
OF 40
OF 25
OF 15
OF 2
OF 2
UT 2

P 15
P 15
P 12
P 10
P 8
P 2
P 1
P 1
P 1
P 1

I don't do this willy-nilly, I do this based on my tiers. I find pockets of value of pockets of guys I like and assign the slots accordingly. I am flexible and slide budget around as the auction progresses, but the parallel means of using tiers in an auction is considering all 3B $12-$18 for the $15 3B line. All OF $22-$28 for the $25 OF line. If I take an OFy at $22, I add $3 to another line. If I take him at $28, i subtract $3.

However, if I KNOW I can get a bargain to fill my $15 2B line because I have a bunch of guys valued in that area and no doubt one will come below value, I do my best to leave the 2B position open.

If the bidding for Utley stops well under my value, shoot, I'm bidding. But if I have him at 39 and the bidding is 37, I'll let it go.

This is what happened to me at NL Tout Wars as the bidding stopped for Adrian Gonzales well below my price, but I did not have a 1B line that high. I won the bid and adjusted my other lines accordingly.

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#28 Post by WillRoy »

I wonder if an Excel spreadsheet can handle that sort of position based max-bids and adjustments if I were to input my max bid for each position.. Maybe that's what the CVRC is for...?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by Todd Zola »

JP Kastner wrote:
Once the season starts, I'm tracking where third place is in each category and adjusting as necessary.

The reason I'm not a big fan of Tiers and the MM is that it is difficult to track what you have and what you need.
Here is where I disagree. Tracking totals and using tiers are not mutually exclusive at all, in fact, it is a darned good idea to do both.

But here is why I did not mention target drafting and will follow a theme of this thread and also help amplify why the merger is such a good thing.

Long time MB readers know we were the first to publish targets and discuss it. Not saying we INVENTED it, not by a longshot, just saying that several years ago, we started tracking average league standings to determine targets.

i too am a target drafter, but over the years have become looser and looser with the process -- because of the intuitive nature I do things as talked about earlier. Not saying I am "better" than anyone else because of this, just saying it happens to be true and since it is, I may as well use it to my advantage, but after doing so many mocks, profiles and player analysis each Nov-March, by the time the "real" drafts and auctions come around, I can sense my category placement intuitively.

I don't say I am 35 SB short, I say I need a speed guy.

I don't say I am 40 HR short, I say I need power.

Again, not suggesting this for anyone. If it is not intuitive, then by all means track the categories more stringently. The root of my drafting is based on targets, just not aiming towards a specific number.

This is why the merger is so perfect as it got to a point I was not able to "relate" to all the different types of customers we attract. The addition of JP, Lawr, Brian and the return of Rob along with Gary and myself and we have all the based covered. Some of you will read my stuff and say blech, when is Rob posting again? Some will be counting the minutes to the next piece comes out.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#30 Post by viper »

great stuff. I get a sense that the 2010 fantasy baseball discussion season has just begun.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Todd Zola »

WillRoy wrote:I wonder if an Excel spreadsheet can handle that sort of position based max-bids and adjustments if I were to input my max bid for each position.. Maybe that's what the CVRC is for...?
Sorry, missed this.

This is the sort of thinking I aim to get people to avoid -- I don't think you should have a preset MAX BID. You should have an idea of what in a vacuum the player is worth. The CVRC or our dollar value sheets will do that. You should have an idea how the player's value compared to other players, both at the same position and other positions. You have that. You should have an idea of the specific contributions a player provides (MM?). Again, ding ding, you have that.

The rest is based on draft and/or auction dynamics.

Obviously, I am not paying $45 for Alex Cora.

But to pre-designate a max bid keeps me too focused on trying to make sure I acquire as many players below my "max bid", which on the surface seems like what you want to do but in fact is not nearly as important as the overall construction and balance of your team.

Here is a practical example of how one may not see the forest through the trees if they are too focused on values, max bid, etc.

AL only league,

Jacoby Ellsbury is on the table. Based on our projections, his max bid is $35 (making it up).

if you rely too much on max bids, etc, when he gets to $31, you are going to bid him up because he is below your max bid.

Maybe you get him for $33 or $34.

But you know what?

You are going to be pissed off when Rajai Davis or Juan Pierre or another Sb specialist goes for $5 or $6 under value in the $20 range. You look after the draft and say I could have had Miguel Cabrera and Juan Pierre and instead I have Jacoby Ellsbury and Billy Butler, something like that.

The less values become a red light/green light device and more a suggestion, the better off you are.

Setting a max bid is setting a red light.

Instead, pick out a speedster. If you think you want Ellsbury, use Carl Crawford - or vice versa. Put their name out for auction. Gauge what people are playing for speedsters. If the price stops well below your raw value, get him. But if it is close figure you can get other speed at or below raw value. Of course, don't get caught chasing the last SB guy or you will get caught paying an inflated price.

I do this with closers all the time.

Say I want to pay $20 for my closer. I'll throw out Joe Nathan or Mo, figuring they go for over $20 -- but how much? If they stop at $24, I am going to likely throw out another top one next time and get him for $22 or $23. That's only $2 more and I can adjust another line as described earlier. If they go for $32, I know I better grab the first real closer that comes out and stops near $20.

I did this 2 years ago in the NFBC - throwing Billy Wagner out in the NL only league figuring he would go for well more than $20. I bid it up to $20 and crickets -- he was mine.

In the name of full disclosure, I failed to account for the fact he got hurt at the end of the previous season so some were concerned and downgraded him.

And to complete the story, he did indeed get hurt again at the end of 2008. But I won anyway :)

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#32 Post by WillRoy »

Do you mean max bids for specific players? I meant max bids for certain positions. Within the draft, these are of course adjustable.

For example: One strategy I used that I will likely improve based on what has been said about positional /favorites tiers is setting up max bids for each position. I don't mean that I can only bid up to 30 for Justin upton. But I do mean that if I put in: 40 for OF1, 25 OF2 20 OF3, etc... that I should aim to spend within those limits.

Here's the other thing, In my eleven or 12 years doing fantasy baseball, though you and I (and based on your job, emphasis on you) may have an exemplary grasp of the player pool, I feel that it helps someone such as myself to establish stricter strategies to stay organized and meet whatever goals that auction involves, be they categorical/value oriented/names of players. Indeed, I know the pool well but may not be able to think of every one of those factors (as well as and especially the budget) within the auction without some strict preparation.

I guess that's the human element at work. Honestly, I don't think in ten more years I would be comfortable with my results at an auction without setting up somewhat rigid guidelines for it. Maybe it's the Hunter/Farmer ADD thing.

There have been times where I've adjusted the strategy mid-draft and especially the max-bids for certain positions. Honestly, though the more someone like myself tends to switch gears, the more focus I lose. I guess it's a matter for me of cost/benefit. Especially if the strategy has some overarching post-auction element (as many do in-season).

Salary-caps or slow-auctions where people can pick up and have ample time to dissect opponents and firmly adjust their strategies may be a separate case.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Todd Zola »

WillRoy wrote:Do you mean max bids for specific players? I meant max bids for certain positions. Within the draft, these are of course adjustable.
We may be juxtaposing a few thoughts at this point.

The CVRC takes our projections and produces dollar values and rankings employing our valuation methodology using your league parameters. You can customize the number of teams, the categories (to a certain extent), AL or NL only, and the number and type of positions. You can't tell it "give me values if my max bid for an OF is 40." It gives you values and you have to decide who you can reasonably get for $40.

I described earlier that I use the same bid line method of organizing my auction. I won't repeat it.

We'll have the CVRC available in less than 24 hours. Please feel free to open a thread in the site tools forum for any questions you have about its use. There are some primers we include with it to help use it.

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

#34 Post by WillRoy »

Whoops. May have misread something here or there...Counted 2 posts where you may have answered one of my earlier questions (Thus the max bid confusion and restatement...). :lol:

I'll check out the CVRC. I think part of the brainfart may have to do with lacking the actual tool that has been brought up.