Scoresheet Strategy and Trading

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
mkieffer
Major Leaguer

Scoresheet Strategy and Trading

#1 Post by mkieffer »

Hey all,

I have been doing Scoresheet for a few years, and it's a different animal than your typical roto leagues.

I often get trade offers and do not know if I am being offered a fair trade or not.

Example:

I am playing in a 10 team, NL Only Private League. I have been offered Zack Cozart (cross over player, our private league allows 3 I am currently protecting only one) and Riley Pint (whom I like as a prospect but is probably 4-5 years away from making an impact) for Pick 15.8 (which was an extra pick acquired by previous owner)

I took over a tough team this year, and have Pick 14.2, 15.2, and all subsequent round picks. I also have an extra 17th round pick: 17.7. I currently have Cozart rated as the #3 SS in NL Only for this format but #6 3B in NL only for this format.

As at stands right now I am planning on protecting: McCutchen, Jay Bruce, Bour, Molina, Kemp, Kendrick, Gio Gonzalez, Chase Anderson, Tanner Roark, Wacha, Jared Hughes, Pedro Baez, so I have a need for 3B and SS. I will have the opportunity to draft either Quintana or Longoria, so I will be able to strengthen 3B or my SP core depending on what happens with the #1 pick.

Another offer I have is to acquire Cozart for either 16.2 or 17.2. That might just be the better deal to take, no?

What do you think? I have a hard time valuing trades in this format where minor leaguers are protected, people are on top of things with acquiring international signings and high draft picks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Scoresheet Strategy and Trading

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

How many can you keep?

Scoresheet can be confusing in terms of rounds.

Let's say everyone keeps ten. Is the first pick of the draft 11.01?

Do farm players count against your keepers?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by mkieffer »

Todd Zola wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:19 pm How many can you keep?

We can keep 13 players, so first round on the re-draft is 14. We can keep 3 cross over players of the 13.

We can keep an unlimited number of minor leaguers but they cost an end of draft, draft pick. For example if the last round is 36 and I keep 1 minor leaguer, that's my 36th pick. If I keep 6 minor leagues, that's my 31-36th picks.

Looking at the league, many teams have 10+ minor leaguers on their team including anyone from any kind of Top 50 or Top 100 lists, high draft picks from 2017 draft, and international signings.

I have no clue how many people typically keep, as I just joined this offseason. Hard to know if some will go back in the pool or some will hang onto these guys till they go to the show.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by mkieffer »

mkieffer wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Todd Zola wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:19 pm How many can you keep?

We can keep 13 players, so first round on the re-draft is 14. We can keep 3 cross over players of the 13.

We can keep an unlimited number of minor leaguers but they cost an end of draft, draft pick. For example if the last round is 36 and I keep 1 minor leaguer, that's my 36th pick. If I keep 6 minor leagues, that's my 31-36th picks.

Looking at the league, many teams have 10+ minor leaguers on their team including anyone from any kind of Top 50 or Top 100 lists, high draft picks from 2017 draft, and international signings.

I have no clue how many people typically keep, as I just joined this offseason. Hard to know if some will go back in the pool or some will hang onto these guys till they go to the show.
More context: this team finished 2nd to last last year including having the lowest amount of runs scored and 2nd highest ERA in the league.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Is it a hard or soft 13? Hard meaning forced to keep 13 and soft being fewer and making up the pick before everyone drafts?

If it's a soft 13, you' could go with fewer and try to get an extra better player early in lieu of a fungible reliever.

Unlike roto where pitching can be managed, you need some top arms. You have a couple nice ones, just not that ace. The way around that is 5 very good SP and cross fingers in the playoffs. It's tough finding an ace, no one wants to deal one obviously.

The vast majority of prospects are usually drafted right after the June entry draft and hoarded forever. Some sneak through the cracks, or are traded to the NL (there's got to be someone this year, need some time to check back) so they may go in the early draft, but most are scooped in June. Teams competing will focus on reserves while others do the prospect thing.

I generally don't worry about prospects, but then my team has always been a tweener -- good enough to make the playoffs but lacking the ace to win more than one series (I play in a 30-team league, keep a soft 10).

I like Cozart, 17 is when you're taking relievers or platoon hitters so it makes sense.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by mkieffer »

If its soft, dtop more players and try for Quintana or Darvish (if he signs in league), etc, I assume? But then others will do thst too right? Cat and mouse game

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Yeah, but Baez and Hughes aren't worth sweating, not sure Kemp is either. There could be more players coming over, depending when your draft is.

It also depends how much patience you want to have, may matter if it's a money or fun league.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#8 Post by mkieffer »

Its a hard 13...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

So you're assured of at least Longo/Quintana

Cozart isn't terrible, add Quintana, hope the others are all SP2 and you never know.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#10 Post by mkieffer »

Todd Zola wrote: January 4th, 2018, 11:16 pm So you're assured of at least Longo/Quintana

Cozart isn't terrible, add Quintana, hope the others are all SP2 and you never know.
Yeah. This team is going to be a project. I mostly joined this league because the same group has done an AL one since '89 and an NL one since '93. All original owners, I am filling in for someone who passed away... :(

Anyhow, its just for fun but I really respect this group and the best way to respect/honor the group is to play my ass off.

I don't think the draft is until March, I think I need to send in keepers in about a month or so so we have time to figure out where everyone ends up. I just like to have a plan and speculate a little bit.

To me right now the top players that will be available to draft are: Quintana, Carlos Santana, Starlin Castro, Longoria... No other SPs that have logged over 150 innings last year (I am assuming Darvish goes to AL) available, and most of the position players are platoon guys (JD Martinez is undrafted but I am assuming he goes to AL). Of course this doesn't include players thrown back into the pool but the Top 130 + prospects are being kept, so not betting on anything.

My thoughts are there is no SS out there on the list (as of now) with more than 200 PA, and no one is going to trade a stud SP to me. If I can get a guy that I see as a bona fida keeper (Cozart) then that's a plus. If I had some pathway to tear it all down and build around pitching I would, but I don't see a pathway to it.

I am not huge on Gio repeating what he did last year nor Chase Anderson doing so either. But getting guys who can log innings so I don't have to have the dreaded computer AAA pitcher is a plus.

I know that in order for me to be a competitor, it's going to be with a different core group. But for me, I want to improve the team. My goal is to finish better than the previous year.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by mkieffer »

Ok, here's another Scoresheet team I have - AL Only - With hard 13, minor leaguers count as late draft picks, 2 crossovers from NL can be kept. Recently acquired, finished middle of the pack (5th out of 10) last year.

Here are the players on the team (in no order, just copy and paste job):

Chris Archer Martin Maldonado
Jose Quintana Evan Gattis
Martin Perez Kevan Smith
Dan Strailey Carlos Perez
Kyle Gibson Justin Smoak
Mike Fiers Yonder Alonso
Ubaldo Jimenez Brandon Moss
Yovani Gallardo C.J. Cron
Kendall Graveman Jonathan Schoop
Anibal Sanchez Jose Altuve
Tyler Duffy Jed Lowrie
Collin McHugh Marwin Gonzalez
Craig Kimbrel Adrian Beltre

Chelsor Cuthbert
Brad Miller
Daniel Ray Robertson
Jorge Mateo
Brett Gardner
Kevin Pillar
Eddie Rosario
Josh Reddick
Dexter Fowler
Jorge Bonifacio
Mikie Mahtook
Rajai Davis
Aaron Hicks
Ezequiel Carrera
Joey Rickard
Tyler Collins
Jake Smolinski
Billy Burns
Melvin Upton

My initial feel is I like the position players and my first 2 SPs and can build a pretty good core. I have a logjam with Schoop and Altuve. I can either DH Schoop
which makes Alonso useless or should I be looking to unload some positional talent like Schoop or Alonso in hopes of a better draft pick or pitching help? Or do I throw back one of Alonso/Schoop?

The best undrafted players to me are (in no special order): Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon, Jay Bruce, Zack Cozart, Nunez (if he stays in AL), Mike Leake, then it's pretty much bullpen (some good names) and platoon players.

I have my own opinions but am curious your thoughts... Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

I like Schoop's bat too much to just release. I think I'd hope to move Alonso, even if it's for one of the draft picks in the first reserves. I'd deal Schoop only for an SP1 type. You may be able to do a two-for-one with Alonso and Gattis for an upgrade at catcher, though I'm not sure how many AL catchers I like more. Gary Sanchez owner isn't dealing him. Maybe Sal Perez? Even than, I'm not sure.

You look like a very good SP away from letting the boys play and seeing what happens.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by mkieffer »

I am not going to win the league... League Champ was Greinke, Scherzer as his crossovers, along with Darvish, Keuchel, Pomeranz, and Ervin Santana (who I think pitched over his head last year)... Hard to beat that. He also has Sal Perez, so he isn't giving that up either..... :(

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

My only complaint about Scoresheet is it sims to results and not skills, at least for the most part so yeah, Santana's owners were pretty lucky.

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

#15 Post by mkieffer »

Todd Zola wrote: January 5th, 2018, 4:14 pm My only complaint about Scoresheet is it sims to results and not skills, at least for the most part so yeah, Santana's owners were pretty lucky.
Agreed it isn't perfect. That's the fantasy baseball aspect of it though. If I had Ervin Santana in a 5x5 league, I was lucky too and benefitted from it.... My complaint about this league is the best team has all the good players.... whomp :(