Second year fantasy baseball help

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Bic44

Re: Second year fantasy baseball help

#11 Post by Bic44 »

Thanks! And yeah, I wasn’t trying to do anything shady :D . I certainly wouldn’t help any of my friends either :lol: . Helping my wife, on the other hand, is probably a good idea. She enjoyed football, so that’s good. A huge Jays fan, but after football she swore off picking her favorite team. She even bought a book last week about the top 50 Jays prospects. So I’m sure she’ll enjoy fantasy baseball. Our anniversary is coming up, and I’ve hinted at the rotowire subscription today ;) .

So another question since I’m here with regards to being commish of a league. It’s a small 8 team league (unless I can convince a couple more friends to join). They loved football simply because of the comraderie/trash talking each week during matchups. Beating those they knew best seemed to be the biggest hit. I’ve decided to do a H2H league because of this. I know it’s not the best way, but I think it’ll help them stay interested. I’m thinking a categories league. The one where, if you’re in a 5x5 league you can go, for example, 6-4 or 2-8 on a given week. Do you think that’s a good set up? Do you have any suggestions since they don’t know a lot about baseball? Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not a fan of head to head leagues but I am a fan of anything getting new blood interested.

The only suggestion is considering if you want 6-4 to be one win or six wins, four losses. That is, after Week 1, is that team 6-4 or 1-0?

The difference is there are some strategies designed to help achieve 6-4 or 7-3 by ignoring some categories while loading up on others. Some people like this aspect and that's fine. I'm not pushing one way or the other -- I'm just suggesting to think about it as there are strategy considerations.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Bic44

#14 Post by Bic44 »

Excellent reads, thank you. For my last auction, I didn't leave anything on the table I don't think. Before it started (and it was my first non-mock auction) I got the estimated prices on 300 players for a $260 budget. I wrote them down, then put little marks on guys I targeted and Xs on guys I didn't want a stock in. I stuck within budget except Bautista-I got caught up in a bidding war. The guy was bidding fast, and I thought he'd go $1 more for sure :oops: . As for Donaldson, everyone seemed to be overpaying for 3rd basemen and I wanted a top 5 guy. Live and learn. It was a great learning experience, and I had a blast. You might know two of the guys in that auction, but I'm not sure - Nathan Dokken and Van Lee. Nathan won that league. I'm going to get a subscription to Rotowire, just haven't decided on 3 months or a year. I'll wait strategically until draft season starts ;) . But those articles will help this year. They're exactly what I was looking for.

As for the league I'm running, I know that head to head doesn't give the most accurate results. I'm also aware of the strategy of punting categories. But - I don't think anyone involved is going to look too deeply into strategy, maybe with the exception of my wife :lol: . And that'll just be to beat me. I also think it might keep things more interesting closer to the end of the season with the amount of wins on the table. Having an ability to be 10 'wins' behind a playoff spot with one week left may keep them more interested. My plan is to get them started this year, and refine it next year if they enjoy it and learn some of the nuances. I did it with a simple league in football (even allowing everyone to make the playoffs) and now they're excited about next year and are actually looking forward to changes like larger rosters(they were quite small) and fewer playoff teams. It's also the only reason I got them to do a baseball league. I tried last year, and they thought it sounded a little too boring/time intensive. After convincing them in football, all but two have agreed to baseball. Having those two keeps me in fantasy leagues almost year-round.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, if in-season management is a weakness, having Rotowire for the season is well worth it. The news is the industry standard and there's weekly pieces on FAAB pick-ups for all formats.