Musing on a new strategy for a H2H league with low IP min

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
dietrichdingers

Musing on a new strategy for a H2H league with low IP min

#1 Post by dietrichdingers »

Just want to bounce an idea I had for this head-to-head home league I've been in for a few years.

Relevant details:
Standard 5x5 OBP league
25 IP min, 10 start max per week
6 teams reach playoffs, top 2 teams in regular season get first-round byes
12 hitting slots, 9 pitcher slots (no SP/RP designation), 3 bench slots

Notes about this group and how they play:
Most of the players try to max out their 10 weekly starts, meaning SP goes pretty deep in this format, it's expensive to compete in wins and Ks, and streaming is tough because the quality on the wire is low.

I'm thinking of punting starters completely, using this approach to win every batting category, ERA, WHIP, and saves every week.

1. Draft only hitters for the first 12 rounds.

2. Grab a starter with solid ratios to make sure I hit min IP every week, and fill the rest of my roster with the best relievers available. I can afford to take the low tier closers because their ratios are still better than the average starter, and I'll have other top-tier relievers to help bring the ratios down further as well as be holding a lot of the obvious handcuffs. With every other team competing for inning quantity, winning the rate stats should be a cinch.

3. All 3 bench spots go to hitters, so I can take advantage of more platoons and good matchups that other teams can't.

4. Grab a couple of Marlins hitters if the price is right. The Marlins last two weeks includes a series in Colorado and a series in Arizona, and the final matchup is the highest leverage from a $$ standpoint (1/6 of the prize pool goes to 2nd place, 2/3 goes to first place). If I make the final, I want to have as many small advantages as possible.

Thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Musing on a new strategy for a H2H league with low IP min

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's a common plan in a H2H league. The only thing is I'd still go after decent closers since you can't take the chance they implode, lose their job, etc. You still have plenty of hitting to compete. Relievers that toss a bunch of innings like Miller, Devenski and Lorenzen could help too, since you run the risk of having your starter get scratched, maybe pulling you below 25 IP.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

dietrichdingers

#3 Post by dietrichdingers »

Small update if anyone's curious. I didn't manage to snag any Marlins, but I did follow the rest of my plan.

On the negative side:
- My 2 starting pitcher draft picks didn't work out (Richards and Nola), so I've had to stream to hit the innings limit.

On the positive side:
- I just re-calculated values for the rest of the season and I have 6(!!!!) of the top 10 hitters: Trout, Freeman, Thames, Votto, Sano, Sanchez.
- My save speculation has been pretty good. Betances, Knebel, and Wilson is enough for me to get a few extra wins this year in saves without sacrificing any ratio.

Currently leading the totals for all hitting categories by a lot, except steals where I'm in 2nd place. Sitting 2nd in the standings, 2 games out of first and 2.5 games ahead of third place.

Captain Hook
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

make that 5 hitters - at least until after the ASB when Freeman hopes to return from fractured wrist.

BAD week for injuries - I lost Freeman and (tonight) Turner from my NFBC team

dietrichdingers

#5 Post by dietrichdingers »

Yeah I have Freeman in a couple of other leagues as well, really rough. At least in the H2H league he should be back and 100% by playoffs.

Seems like injuries across the board are up this year, and I'm noticing that even as someone with relatively few on my own teams.