League changing to saves + holds

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
porsche1207

League changing to saves + holds

#1 Post by porsche1207 »

So for some stupid reason we voted to changes saves to saves + holds.

8 team 5x5 roto league AL only

How does that normally effect the auction and keepers.

I know my contract of $5 on Colome is now not as good before we switched. Is Brach at $2 a good keeper price or is Pomeranz at $9 or Clevenger at $11 better contracts now? Is any relief pitcher worth keeping? Or just too easy to get holds?

Where does the money that comes off closers typically go? or where should it go?

Thank you

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: League changing to saves + holds

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Will go and should go are the operative questions. Eventually, your league will figure it out -- sounds like you have. The top to bottom prices of relievers should flatten, eventually they will. I'm paying the minimum for Nick Goody, Tommy Kahnle etc, then funneling the savings elsewhere.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#3 Post by CubFan »

Our league is doing the same for 2019. Would be interested in hearing back from you at the end of the season to let us know how it went and if you changed your mind. We have a vocal minority that wanted to see some changes as they thought the league had gotten stale and saves didn't really reflect the change in real life direction that many teams have now embraced elite bullpens. So, we voted to change. I being the old fuddy duddy preferred to leave things as is.

I suspect Todd is right in that salaries will come down for closers and go up for those garnering holds.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

porsche1207

#4 Post by porsche1207 »

Our league are all old..cept 1 owner in their 20's and he voted with me to keep saves. I think some of the owners got tired of chasing saves during the season.

Should I spend more money to keep or draft hitters or the starting pitchers?

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

From what I've been seeing more teams are paying up for elite SP. MLB has seen a decided trend in letting non-ace SP only going 5-6 innings as analytics show most of them get hit around the third time through the order. That makes those handful of SP who go 7+ innings more valuable. On the other hand we all know pitching can be a crap shoot. I've also seen more teams going the stars and scrubs route.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -