Need Help Calculating Dollars 'Earned' for our 12 Team H2H

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
stronglikebull

Need Help Calculating Dollars 'Earned' for our 12 Team H2H

#1 Post by stronglikebull »

Am part of a 12 team keeper H2H Auction 5x5 league. I'd love help trying to figure out how to calculate the value of each players 2016 production (dollars earned). Would like to compare that to their projected 2017 auction values.

I haven't had much luck finding any info online. Sites like TG Fantasy Baseball can do something close. They calculate it per position, which leaves guys like Bogaerts & Miggy being worth the same as each position is being considered independently of the others. I'm more interested in calculating it without positions being considered to focus on value of solely their production. Am also open to suggestions on how to calculate/interpret the data.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by stronglikebull on January 21st, 2017, 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Need Help Calculating Dollars 'Earned' for our 12 Team H2H

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

stronglikebull wrote:Am part of a 12 team keeper H2H Auction 5x5 league. I'd love help trying to figure out how to calculate the value of each players production (dollars earned). Would like to compare that to their projected auction & keeper values.

I haven't had much luck finding any info online. There are a couple of sites like TG Fantasy Baseball that can do something close. But TG calculates it per position and I'm more interested in calculating it without positions being considered. Am also open to suggestions on how to calculate/interpret the data.

Thanks in advance!
Gonna be honest, this is a Platinum-level question. I have all sorts of content discussing valuation and an Excel tool that can easily be adapted to do exactly what you want. Explaining the process isn't simple. I have to be fair, and sensitive, to my subscribers. Obviously, I'd help you through the process if you joined Platinum.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

stronglikebull

#3 Post by stronglikebull »

You drive a hard bargain, but deal! I saw fanduels had a promotion with mastersball if you sign up and deposit $25 they'll cover the cost of the mastersball platinum subscription. I have done that but it doesn't appear to be reflecting the platinum status just quite yet.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

stronglikebull wrote:You drive a hard bargain, but deal! I saw fanduels had a promotion with mastersball if you sign up and deposit $25 they'll cover the cost of the mastersball platinum subscription. I have done that but it doesn't appear to be reflecting the platinum status just quite yet.
That deal is over three years old -- we no longer have an affiliate deal with FanDuel.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

stronglikebull

#5 Post by stronglikebull »

Ah sad day. I have subscribed through the site now and should be good to go. Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Welcome! What level would you consider your Excel skills?

Are you just interested in the 2016 end of season values or do you want to learn about valuation in general? FWIW - nothing wrong with just "all I want is the values". Some like to know how the sausage is made - some just like eating sausage.

stronglikebull

#7 Post by stronglikebull »

My excel skills are beginner to intermediate. I love sausage! I'd be interested in learning all the things you can teach me.

For preseason values, I have generally created tiers of players and assigned each positional tier a dollar amount (ie, ~$40 for a tier 1 3b). I normally have relied on various valuation systems (zips, steamer, etc) to get me a solid enough idea of what a player *should* cost.

Once the season is completed, I'd like to be able to compare the value of their actual production to their projected cost for the upcoming season.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

There's a ton of archived essays on valuation - that's the place to start.

We provide the values for 12-team leagues so that's half the battle.

Gonna be honest, it would take me 5 minutes to generate last year's -- longer than that to work you through it, at least until you're used to the site. But this gives me an idea...

I'll run end-of-season values for the common leagues and post them all. I'm in Nashville at a work conference so look for it in Todd's Thoughts when I get back.

stronglikebull

#9 Post by stronglikebull »

Thanks.

Since these are end of season values and are being considered independently of positions, the values generated should be applicable across different types of leagues (h2h/roto). Do I have that correct?

On flip side, the values are based on league size, so they wouldn't be applicable if a league is larger or smaller than 12 teams. Do I have that right?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

stronglikebull wrote:Thanks.

Since these are end of season values and are being considered independently of positions, the values generated should be applicable across different types of leagues (h2h/roto). Do I have that correct?
Given the limitations of the valuation process, and there really isn't such a thing as accurate values regardless of the system, yes, they transcend different formats, so long as we're talking 5x5 roto categories. The more frequent a league allows moves, the less useful values are.
On flip side, the values are based on league size, so they wouldn't be applicable if a league is larger or smaller than 12 teams. Do I have that right?
One of the tenets of a valuation system is assigning positive value to exactly enough players to fill each team's active roster. So for a 12-team league with 14 hitters and 9 pitchers, there are exactly 168 hitters and 108 pitchers $1 or more. In a 15-team league, that becomes 210 hitters and 135 pitchers.

The CVRCs allow this level of customization.

I'm going to be off the boards until very late tonight, maybe tomorrow morning. Hopefully this is enough to whet your whistle.

stronglikebull

#11 Post by stronglikebull »

Hope you had some good bbq! Where do I find Todd's Thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

It's on the Platinum splash page with all the other subscriber content.

stronglikebull

#13 Post by stronglikebull »

Thanks I'll look for the info on there.

stronglikebull

#14 Post by stronglikebull »

Has your funklordiness had a chance to upload that info? I checked but didn't see it on there. Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

Sometime this weekend after I finish the regular update

stronglikebull

#16 Post by stronglikebull »

thanks, looking forward to it.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Todd Zola »

Posted earlier this afternoon

stronglikebull

#18 Post by stronglikebull »

just saw, thanks!!!

stronglikebull

#19 Post by stronglikebull »

I recently read something that said some very smart minds (and you were mentioned by name) dont agree with using SGP to calculate player values. Can you point in the direction of how to go about doing this manually? I have perused the site but didn't find any articles.