NFBC Draft Champions League Strategy

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
dos7atkins
Rookie

NFBC Draft Champions League Strategy

#1 Post by dos7atkins »

This year, for the first time, I am entering a Draft Champions League in the NFBC, where you draft 50 rounds, but there are no in-season pickups. How should my strategy change for this type of league? Should I take more chances? Rookies? Injured players coming back in May/June? What are your thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC Draft Champions League Strategy

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Will circle back tonight -- in middle of updating Platinum.

First thing is to decide if you're playing to win the league or the overall championship. For example, if I'm playing the $150 entry, I may be more aggressive to win the overall than I would be if I were in the $1000 entry. The $400 is in between and likely depends on one's personal situation.

Next -- go through the archives of this forum -- maybe search NFBC -- several drafts are tracked and several comments towards strategy are offered.

More later.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: NFBC Draft Champions League Strategy

#3 Post by daweasle »

I am sort of a veteran I guess - I do 2-3 of these every year for the past 4-5 years.

1. You never have enough pitching. Of your group of players most people think they can do 27 hitters and 23 pitchers. might as well go 25-25 cause 2-3 of those guys will be hurt before spring training ends.

2. Don't go crazy thinking you are going to win the big prize and plan that way. Play like you are trying to win the league and if every thing breaks your way - maybe you get lucky and hit the big prizes. If you play specifically to try to win the big prizes - you probably won't win either one.

3. Late in the draft if you can't find a good player to draft - dont be afraid to waste a pick on the presumed backup to one of your guys. For example last year I had 2 of the 3 COLORADO outfielders - so i drafted another col OF as one of my reserves. don't remember which - but it works out when the inevitable happens.

4. These guys are smart - they are going to take 95% of the good players by the 35th round. From rounds 36-50 focus on a couple of live bullpen arms who might happen into a closer role. Focus on 1-2 rookie hitters who might end up with a starting gig and focus on a couple SP who will be able to eat some innings when your SP get hurt. (or maybe bullpen studs) I know no one wants a Jason Marquis type on your roster but when september hits and half your staff is on the DL and jason marquis has a start vs the padres in petco park.....he will be your own personal yu darvish from the 48th round.

5. I cannot tell you to limit your risk by not drafting a bunch of injury risk players. every player can get hurt. But limit your risk by not trying to get every bounce back player and every injury risk and every tommy john recovery project etc. If you have a few of these fine - but not 2-3 of them every ten rounds. Its not like regular league where you can take a chance on a bunch of guys and if they dont pan out just pick up waiver fodder.