Timing Is Everything

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
UncleBill
Major League Regular

Timing Is Everything

#1 Post by UncleBill »

Todd & Everyone:

When looking at the adjustments made to value systems, regardless of which system, I was having the debate in my head of WHEN is the most appropriate time to make adjustments for Positional Scarcity. Before or After a player's value is calculated?

Should the hitters stats be valued by position (24 catchers, 12 1B, etc) before coming up with their value and then make your replacement level adjustment according to position?

Or should the hitters stats be valued based on the entire pool of starting players (ie 168 traditional) and then make your replacement level adjustment according to position?

I'm talking myself in circles coming up with reasons why both are correct so hopefully someone can help me make sense of this.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Timing Is Everything

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

The real answer to your question is neither but it's honestly not worth wasting brain cells.

The adjustment is made before assigning value. The question is if replacement is calculated based on the draft-worthy players as a total group or individual by category.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The final numbers are scaled to fit the zero-sum economy and are nearly identical either way.

Replacement is an arbitrary concept. There's no finite replacement pool. Different leagues have owners that use different strategies and vary in player evaluation so no two draft-worthy pools are alike.

Plus, not only are projections a guess, but by extension so is replacement.

There's so much variance that there is no perfectly correct replacement set. Convenience in terms of ease of calculation is the most important factor. There are approximately 1,864,353 things more relevant than a replacement set when it comes to putting together a roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

UncleBill
Major League Regular

Re: Timing Is Everything

#3 Post by UncleBill »

Haha... do you have a link to the post with the other 1,864,353 items listed? THANKS!

Rule # 115 Never walk away from a crasher in a funny jacket