Taking injured players in bunches?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
daweasle
Major League Veteran

Taking injured players in bunches?

#1 Post by daweasle »

I was listening to the drive on Sirius xm today and they were discussing not taking too many oft-injured players in your draft - as it can lead to you at the end of the season - saying man I got bit by the injury bug too much and lost because all my guys were hurt.

Now it got me to thinking -

What if you took a lot of injury plagued players? and a lot of them did get hurt - but a lot of them stayed healthy - if you get guys who perform like studs at half their value - then you've got a stud -

so let's give specific examples

let's say you take carl Crawford in the tenth round. If he's healthy - and puts up great production for 150 games - you can get 2nd round talent.
then you take chase Utley in the 11th - he healthy and puts up good number he could be fifth round production
then you take josh Johnson in the 12th - he's always hurt but he can be an ace if he could only stay healthy

So - by taking these three guys have virtually guaranteed you will have one guy who is a total bust - but also since you have three of them - it improves the likelihood that maybe one of them will rebound and give you a great steal of the draft.

Is this crazy person thinking?

maddog

Re: Taking injured players in bunches?

#2 Post by maddog »

gotta a guy in our nl league who makes a habit of doing this,he hasn't finished in the money in a looong time.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Taking injured players in bunches?

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

You can win with every strategy, you can lose with every strategy -- it's not why, but who you pick

If you go chalk and every player does exactly as you want, you'll finish middle of the pack.

How you go about getting the edge you need to rise above the middle is up to you. Some go for hurt players. Some go for players coming off bad years. Some go for rookies. Some try to outsmart the room.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord