Ryan's NFBC Online Championship Team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
deansdaddy

Ryan's NFBC Online Championship Team

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

A few weeks back I profiled this squad in my AL or Nothing column. Here was the team I drafted and a quick assessment of it afterwards.

C: Mauer, Saltalamacchia

1B/3B: Cuddyer, Beltre, Goldschmidt (Figgins)

2B/SS: Kinsler, Jeter, Scutaro (Pastornicky)

OF: Kemp, Holliday, Francouer, Rasmus, Boesch (Brantley)

UT: Kubel (Viciedo)

SP: Weaver, Wilson, Beachy, Latos, Sale, Nolasco, Colon (Carpenter)

RP: Marshall, Jansen, Aceves (Reed)

My offense has a solid core, and I like the balanced approach I ended up with. Speed is perhaps light, and I’ll be on the lookout for more. My starting pitching is pretty solid. If Carpenter returns, this unit is tough to beat. My bullpen admittedly is a pretty big gamble. It was partly the result of a couple teams extreme strategies affecting the flow of talent, but also a choice to embrace possibly a little too much risk. I will either be right or wrong here and I will likely have to spend a large chunk of FAAB on whoever else emerges.

deansdaddy

Re: Ryan's NFBC Online Championship Team

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

As of today this team is off to a very good start. We are sitting in first place with 86.5 points (we lost 4 points in K's yesterday that we should recover starting today).

We are also sitting at #72 (out of 864) in the overall competition.

Matt Kemp and Ian Kinsler have obviously been the offensive stars so far and I couldn't ask more from my top two picks. I have also gotten very good production from Joe Mauer and Derek Jeter, which is a nice bonus. Both look healthy and spry and Jeter in particular has looked great so far, displaying a vintage approach at the plate.

On the pitching side of things my big two of Weaver and Wilson are off to great starts and the rest of my staff has been solid avoiding major bombs thus far.

My initial assessment was on the money as speed and saves were my soft spots. The draft I was in saw both commodities overdrafted (IMO) and I while I made the decision to not overpay for saves in the draft - I just kept missing on speed targets throughout.

Here are the moves I have made so far:

Week 1: Added Adam Laroche for $55 and dropped Tyler Pastornicky
Added Ardolis Chapman for $2 and dropped Michael Brantley

Laroche was a conditional behind R Furcal who went for more than I bid. Laroche looked/looks healthy and is hitting in the middle of an improved Nats lineup. The nice thing about LaRoche is when healthy, you kind of know what you are getting. In most seasons he would not have been on the wire in Week 1. Solid pickup which gives me the flexibility to move Cuddyer to OF if I need to or bench Goldschmidt if he struggles. I inserted him in for week 2/3 in my UT spot.

Brantley was a tough cut since I need speed, but someone had to go. I also had Kubel and Viciedo around on the bench still. Chapman was actually a conditional bid behind Santiago/Rodney who went for big bucks here. Chapman looked dominant and since I had drafted Marshall as my No 1 closer - I decided to get Chapman as insurance.

Week 2: Added Santiago Casilla for $401 and dropped Addison Reed
Added Danny Duffy for $11 and dropped Bartolo Colon

Well - I took the plunge on Casilla. Runner up bid was $224 - so I overpayed, but I got the guy I felt I had to get. Reed was a tough drop because I still believe he will close at some point, but I now have Marshall (Chapman), Aceves, Casilla and K Jansen as bullpen arms. Other potential cuts were Viciedo, Figgins or C Carpenter. I wasn't ready to give up on Carpenter yet. I HAVE to wait on his rehab starts. If he makes it back he is a huge plus to my staff, so I will give it a couple more weeks. Figgins likewise I can't give up on yet. He is playing everyday basically for now AND still leading off. He isn't stealing bases yet - but I couldn't drop him yet. The fact he added OF eligibility this week added to his value as well. I need speed - so I felt he had to be stashed for another week. Viciedo was the guy I was going to drop - but then he popped two home runs to close the week, and I talked myself out of dropping him. That made Reed the odd man out. Duffy was a nice grab as he has looked great so far. Someone else cut Greg Holland this week as well , so I felt better about the Reed drop. Of course Santiago blew his first save on Monday. This means Reed will be a target of other save hungry teams. I may even make a move to pick him back up (or Holland).

Some other interesting drops by other teams this week were Tim Hudson, Jake Westbrook, Ben Revere and Eduardo Nunez.

Glenneration X

#3 Post by Glenneration X »

Nice job so far in this league Ryan. This is my one and only Online Championship team this year and I'll be working hard to catch you my friend. :D I just caught sight of this thread and I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it throughout the season as we do battle. I'll contribute as well if you don't mind as I'm sure it'll add to the fun of this league for me and hopefully you as well.

It's interesting to read that you made bids on both Furcal and Santiago as well week one. I did manage to outbid you on both though I likely overpaid on both. I had drafted Furcal as a reserve for multiple leagues during the live draft season and added him wherever I felt an upgrade at reserve infielder was needed week one. He's just the type of player I like to have in reserves. Someone you don't NEED or have to RELY on to start but when you do (and he's healthy), can bring his once near elite skills to help out in short spurts. Santiago, like your Casilla pickup, was a need move for me. The surprising all-reliever strategies that we saw in the draft (still don't understand this strategy in an overall contest) left me feeling short on saves even before Farnsworth was announced out for 6 weeks hours after the draft. Balfour's been a stud for me so far and Henry Rodriguez has given me more thus far than I could have expected when I made him a late round flier, but at the time I felt I needed another option out of the pen.

By the way, here's my draft (my last draft of the season on 4/3/12) and I hadn't slept in over 48 hours as I was still in Vegas at the time (yup, already making my excuses :D ).....

From the 3-slot right in front of Ryan

1 - Troy Tulowitzki - SS
2 - Dustin Pedroia - 2B (I would have taken Kinsler, but you snagged him right before me :( )
3 - Cliff Lee - SP1
4 - Zack Grienke - SP2 (I wanted 2 elite starters in this format and was happy to roster both these guys where I got them)
5 - Matt Wieters - C1 (Anyone sensing a scarcity strategy here? ;))
6 - Nelson Cruz - OF1
7 - Paul Konerko - 1B
8 - Josh Johnson - SP3
9 - Andre Ethier - OF2
10- Corey Hart - OF3
11- Billy Butler - UT
12- Jemile Weeks - MI
13- Adam Lind - CI
14- Grant Balfour - RP1
15- Josh Beckett - SP4
16- Peter Bourjos - OF4
17- Kyle Farnsworth - RP2 (Duh!!!)
18- Russell Martin - C2
19- Francisco Liriano - SP5 (1st time I drafted him all season and wish I would have held out just one more time)
20- Chase Headley - 3B
21- Alex Presley - OF5
22- John Mayberry - OF reserve
23- Erik Bedard - SP6
24- Bud Norris - SP7
25- Chris Davis - 1B/3B reserve
26- Andres Torres - OF reserve (since dropped)
27- Gavin Floyd - SP reserve
28- Scott Baker - SP reserve (since dropped)
29- Tyler Green - MI reserve (since dropped)
30- Henry Rodriguez - RP reserve

I left this draft knowing that I might be light in speed and it's proven accurate thus far. I also knew that I had several risk/reward types in my SP staff and thus far it's been mostly non-reward, especially in the cases of Josh Johnson & Francisco Liriano. I've made three roster moves in the first two FAAB's and have spent over half of my 1000 FAAB in doing so. My other pickup besides Santiago & Furcal has been Chipper Jones. Even off to a slow start, I think this team will compete, though I'll have to be a little less spend-crazy in FAAB from this point forward. :)

Good luck the rest of the way Ryan, I'll be gunning for ya. ;)

Glenn

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey Glenn - thanks for jumping in on this thread. :D

For those who don't know Glenn - he is one of the better and more successful fantasy players out there. He's also a great guy. Right now I am off to a little faster start then Glenn :D but if he contributes to this thread it will only make it more a more interesting read for us all for sure. Likewise this is my only OLC team and actually rates as my most high-profile league. SO I am very motivated to bring home the league title here 8-)

One thing both Glenn and I are lagging in right now is SB's. I am not sure where they are going to come from, but I am just going to hang onto Figgins for now and hope that he and Kemp/Kinsler/Rasmus can start to provide some. Like Glenn I will have to be a more thrifty with FAAB for awhile - but being a 12 team league there are always players out there. What I will do when I want to conserve money a bit is I may dedicate a roster spot to taking fliers on guys, trying to hit on someone a week or two early. That can often be a key. You also have to train yourself not to get too married to the guys occupying the bottom of your roster - it needs to remain fluid - at least two or three spots IMO. But that doesn't mean you have to always spend a ton of money every week. Every year I have played these games I have always had a handful of $-or $2 players that have ended up being very valuable contributors. Sometimes you catch a guy right at the beginning of a little hot streak. The key is to sometimes ride it and then get off while the going's good.

Glenn's pickup of Chipper is a great example of this actually. Chipper will hit when he is healthy and in the lineup. We know this. We also know he will get hurt. But why not grab a vet like Jones and ride him while you can? Travis Hafner is another player who falls into this category. He has looked good so far, showed some power and is hitting the ball well. Grab him, plug him in if you need a boost and then be prepared to cut bait when he goes cold or gets hurt again.

We'll have another FAAB update after the weekend.

josh

#5 Post by josh »

If you guys dont mind sharing, which online league is this? Im in a few of those.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

This was NFBC Online Championship April 3 10 pm ET League

One of the last drafts of the year.

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Okay - here are the FAAB results from My and Glenn's league this week:

Dough Boyz Francisco Cordero (MR) 180 75
ElCaRTeL Bartolo Colon (SP) 143 110
Team Brady Tim Hudson (SP) 114 99
Team Metivier Gerardo Parra (LF) 101 15
Dough Boyz David Murphy (LF) 46
ElCaRTeL Kirk Nieuwenhuis (CF) 43 41
The Great One Ty Wigginton (3B) 40
Glenneration X Ross Detwiler (SP) 38 21 - drop J Mayberry
Team 403 Jason Hammel (SP) 21
Team 403 Devin Mesoraco (C) 21 9
The Great One Ryan Ludwick (LF) 13
Mastersball.com - Carey Jon Rauch (MR) 10 drop D Viciedo
The Great One Lucas Harrell (SP) 7
The Lyndons Eduardo Nunez (SS) 4
The Great One Jason Castro (C) 3
Glenneration X Michael Brantley (CF) 1 drop C Jones
Team Sutton Jason Vargas (SP) 1
Mastersball.com - Carey Luke Hochevar (SP) 1 drop D Duffy

After spending a big chunk of my FAAB last week - I took a more conservative approach this week. I was the runner-up bid on Hudson at $99, which was close but not quite enough to secure him. I had conditional bids after him on Colon (who I dropped actually), Hammel and Detwiler, but was going cheap after Hudson knowing this is my 7th sp and I didn't need to break the bank. I grabbed Hochevar for $1 and cut teammate Duffy. He gets two starts in Week 5 (although Det and NYY) and I admit that the fact that many prominent NFBC players drafted him in the ME had me give him a shot. As a 12 team league there are always arms out there to give a shot to and it isn't a bad idea to have one spot you use to cycle $1 guys in and out with.

Rauch was a conditional bid after Cordero, Nieuwenhuis and Gerardo Parra. I was the runner up on Parra and wasn't even close. Of course I didn't overpay for him either. I was not the runner-up bid on Cordero or Niewenhuis as I bid only $35 on both. I knew that I likely wouldn't win either at that point (come close on the new Met), but honestly couldn't justify bidding more without knowing how long Santos will be out. I also don't have a ton of faith in Cordero. Rauch is just a speculation that he will get some save opps in the near future from a struggling Frank Francisco. Francisco is still dealing with some knee issues and a DL stint in the near future wouldn't surprise me. I have Marshall, Casilla and Aceves - and with Aceves recent meltdown I am almost hoping they stick him in the rotation. The drop was Dayan Viciedo who was expendable for me. I had he and Kubel and they are basically the same guy to me - so no reason to carry both at this point. I had to stick with Figgins for another week. He will slot in at 3B to start the week for A Beltre. Hopefully Beltre will be back by the weekend or else I will have to go shopping this weekend.

Glenn made a speed pickup by picking up one of my castoffs in Michael Brantley. Glenn and I both was speed issues. I almost bid on T Campana, and likely should have - but the Beltre injury saved Figgins for another week as I needed his 3B eligibility. No one else bought him or Matt Carpenter this week - two guys I came close to moving on

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

Updated Roster - Faab buys are bolded. I have a bunch of RP right now. My primary lineup has remained healthy allowing me room to speculate here a bit. Also my starters have been pretty solid (except for Latos). Still waiting for word on Carpenter but I drafted him hoping for a late May/early June start - so not giving up on that yet. Wish Gibby would stop forcing Overbay into the lineup and just let Goldschmidt play every day. Jeter has been great. Kemp and Kinsler are carrying this offense. Rasmus showed signs of life (on my bench of course). I expect a Francouer hot streak coming sometime soon (well at least I hope so).

C: Mauer, Saltalamacchia

1B/3B: Cuddyer, Beltre, Goldschmidt, A LaRoche (Figgins)

2B/SS: Kinsler, Jeter, Scutaro,

OF: Kemp, Holliday, Francouer, Rasmus, Boesch

UT: Kubel

SP: Weaver, Wilson, Beachy, Latos, Sale, Nolasco, Hochevar (Carpenter)

RP: Marshall, Jansen, Aceves, Chapman, Casilla Rauch

Dropped - Pastornicky, Brantley, Colon, Reed, Viciedo, Duffy

deansdaddy

#9 Post by deansdaddy »

Here are the FAAB results for my and Glenn's league this week. Scott Downs and Tony Campana were the big prizes/targets. Both Glenn and I needed steals, and I was the runner up bid on Campana at $75. I am still pissed I didn't get him last week when it would have cost $1 (sure Glenn is to). I was able to get Jarrod Parker (outbid on Westbrook). I cut Chris Carpenter to add him. I also brought back Addison Reed for $17. White Sox bullpen is in flux - and he's still the best option to lead this team in saves IMO (much like Jansen in LA) so I dropped Rauch to get him back. There were some key drops this week by other teams (Bourjos by Glenn, L Cain, I Desmond) so while I lost out on Campana some SB's just hit the wire for next week.

DIESEL Scott Downs (MR) 223 130
Glenneration X Tony Campana (CF) 151 75
Team 403 Jon Jay (CF) 81 62
DIESEL Alex Gonzalez (SS) 45 27
Team 403 Pedro Alvarez (3B) 45
Team 403 Jake Westbrook (SP) 41 35
Team Sutton Tommy Milone (SP) 40
Team Sutton Chipper Jones (3B) 40
Team Metivier Chris Capuano (SP) 35 20
Mastersball.com - Carey Jarrod Parker (SP) 25
The Great One Michael Saunders (CF) 21
ElCaRTeL James McDonald (SP) 21
The Lyndons Duane Below (MR) 20
Mastersball.com - Carey Addison Reed (MR) 17
The Great One Bronson Arroyo (SP) 15
The Great One A.J. Ellis (C) 15
The Great One Ryan Sweeney (RF) 7
The Great One Ruben Tejada (SS) 3
Dough Boyz David Phelps (MR) 1

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

My team had a very good Week 4 and reclaimed the lead with 93.5 points.

I hit .312 with 59 runs, 14 hr's, 42 rbis and 4 sb's

My pitching delivered a 2.341 ERA, 1.110 WHIP, 8 saves and 53 K's - unfortunately I only tallied 1 W for the week

This week I have a bunch of double starters in Beachy, Nolsco, Sale and Wilson along with Weaver that is 9 starts. I actually am benching Latos and not going with Hochevar against NY and Det either. Also leaving Parker on the bench. Instead I am going with Aceves, Casilla, Marshall AND Jansen with those 5 starters. Double starts allows this play for me. Maybe I grab some more cheap saves from Jansen - and avoid potential bad starts against elite offenses. We'll see.

On offense - i am sticking in Rasmus and benching Figgins for early week games. Also leaving Goldschmidt on the bench again until Gibby finally starts playing him everyday.

deansdaddy

#11 Post by deansdaddy »

Man - did I dodge a bullet by benching Hochevar for his double start week - WHEW!

Missed out on Parker's gem - but that's okay - he looks like a keeper. Hochevar heading to the wire next week most likely.

deansdaddy

#12 Post by deansdaddy »

Here is this week's FAAB for my NFBC OLC squad.

Team Brady David Robertson (MR) 427 351
Dough Boyz Rafael Soriano (MR) 155 1
Team Brady Rafael Dolis (MR) 123 51
Mastersball.com - Carey Jarrod Dyson (CF) 90 2 - drop Figgins
Team Metivier Jed Lowrie (SS) 75 56
Dough Boyz Kyle Seager (3B) 71 21
The Lyndons Drew Smyly (SP) 50 34
Team 403 Ian Desmond (SS) 45 19
The Great One Steve Cishek (MR) 39 33
DIESEL Danny Duffy (SP) 29 11
Dough Boyz Chris Johnson (3B) 25 23
The Lyndons Bobby Abreu (RF) 25
Glenneration X Chris Carpenter (SP) 23
Team Brady Lorenzo Cain (CF) 20
Stallions Anthony Bass (MR) 17
DIESEL Wei-Yin Chen (SP) 12
Team Metivier Wilin Rosario (C) 11
Dough Boyz Chris Getz (2B) 11
The Great One Barry Zito (SP) 10
Mastersball.com - Carey Joe Blanton (SP) 7 - drop Hochevar
The Great One Andres Torres (CF) 5 2
The Great One Placido Polanco (3B) 5
Glenneration X Johnny Damon (LF) 2

My team is still riding high in first place in this league with 96 points. Second place team at 79.5. My weakest category here (and in the overall) has been SB's. Tied (with Glenn) for last place I need to "steal" some points here - so Dyson was my big target of the week after missing on Campana last week. I overbid by a lot - and I will regret spending that extra 88 dollars later on - but I got my guy. Dyson is batting leadoff, and hitting well. If he can keep it up, the steals will follow. Lorenzo Cain was also picked up - but he's out for at least another four to eight weeks - so Dyson should get a nice little run. Hochevar was jettisoned and I got Blanton who was I think the 4th name on my bid list.

Closers were the big names this week - and Robertson was a prize for sure - but I already spent my wad on Casilla and knew I had no shot at him. I didn't even go after Cishek or Dolis. I have too many RP/closers on this team now. With Sale getting sent to the pen I have Sale, Marshall, Aceves, Casilla and Jansen, Reed and Chapman. I decided to hold onto all of them for now, because as we are finding out - everything can change quickly. Sale's arm could explode - so I have to keep Reed til I know Sale is healthy. Jansen's time is coming. I think Chapman's is as well - either as the closer OR as a starter. Hopefully Sale will be healthy, Jansen gets the job and I can jettison Aceves and Reed safely - and let others toss their FAAB at them both.

In the overall I am hanging in there at #40 - after getting as high as #30 this week. Even a decent amount of SB's from Dyson could net me hundreds of points - so hopefully he'll start running wild.

josh

#13 Post by josh »

Ryan, have you ever done the online championship/main event before? I have a few teams, a couple of them in first place and a few others contending. However, I think my highest rank is about 90th. At what point in your opinion do you scrap going for the overall title(starting mediocre closers) and just go for your league title?

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

Yes - I have done it before.

Honestly - I usually put more of my focus on my league and let the chips fall where they may in the overall. Yes it is nice to be performing well in both - but I don't really focus on the overall. Win your league and you will be in the running in the overall.

Leveraging for the overall often means cycling in double start SP's to maximize W's and K's. The risk with that is hurting your WHIP and ERA.

The other option sometimes is guys chase extra steals on offense.

So I can't really give you an answer here, but I would lean toward just try to win your league and see where you stand later on - maybe midseason before I decided to make moves to really leverage stats for the overall.. The categories you are weak on in your league will only be amplified in the overall - so if you attack them in your league - it will only help you in the overall. You can keep your eyes open for double-starters - but don't obsess over them in a 12 teamer. You don't want to drop good players just to grab two starts from a guy you only will use for a week. I often found streaming these guys in works better in 15 team leagues than it does in 12 team leagues.

deansdaddy

#15 Post by deansdaddy »

Here is the FAAB report for my OLC league for May 13th

Team Sutton Brian Fuentes (MR) 225 40
The Great One Josh Reddick (RF) 89 88
DIESEL Dale Thayer (MR) 56 49
Dough Boyz Will Middlebrooks (3B) 46 41
Team Metivier Brandon Inge (3B) 41
Glenneration X Casey Janssen (MR) 40 10
Team 403 Stephen Drew (SS) 31 3
The Lyndons Ryan Sweeney (RF) 30
Glenneration X Andy Dirks (LF) 28 22
The Lyndons Wade Miley (MR) 28
The Lyndons Todd Frazier (3B) 15
The Great One Derek Lowe (SP) 12 3
Glenneration X Jon Rauch (MR) 12 1
Team Brady Alfonso Soriano (LF) 9
The Great One Jesus Flores (C) 8
Dough Boyz Josh Thole (C) 6
Dough Boyz Jeremy Guthrie (SP) 2
Mastersball.com - Carey Peter Bourjos (CF) 2 cut J Blanton.
Team Brady Devin Mesoraco (C) 1

When you spend a lot of money early - sometimes you have to reign it in a week or two. I decided this was a good week for that for me as I targeted to players. I thought I might be able to sneak Stephen Drew thru with a $3 bid - but someone else had the same idea and outbid me. Marco Scutaro's lack of run production is kind of killing me at MI. Anyway - Borjos was a $2 buy - and if he gets traded as is rumored he'll have value. I need steals - and I feel he'll prove valuable at some point for my squad. I reluctantly cut a two-start Joe Blanton - but I don't love his matchups this week and wanted to hang onto A Reed for another week. (Of course he went out and sucked later in the night). I have given up some ground in K's and will again this week - but next week I will have a slew of double starters to get some of that ground back. I am still in 1st place in this league - but I am down to 84 points and my lead is down to 1 PT. I didn't need to chase any saves this week - so I was out on those.

deansdaddy

#16 Post by deansdaddy »

I actually missed a week for this league's Faab reprot - so here was the results from 5/20:

Team 403 A.J. Ellis (C) 65 27
Team 403 Gregor Blanco (CF) 65 25
The Lyndons Dayan Viciedo (LF) 62 24
DIESEL Matt Carpenter (1B) 36 35
Team 403 Joe Blanton (SP) 27
Mastersball.com - Carey Felipe Paulino (SP) 27 5
The Great One Brandon Belt (1B) 20 17
Mastersball.com - Carey Jerome Williams (SP) 19 3
The Lyndons Jordan Pacheco (3B) 17
Dough Boyz Freddy Galvis (2B) 13 8
Glenneration X Ernesto Frieri (MR) 11
DIESEL David DeJesus (RF) 11 1
The Great One Pedro Alvarez (3B) 10
The Great One Aaron Harang (SP) 5
The Great One Rick Porcello (SP) 3
The Great One Darwin Barney (2B) 3
Glenneration X John Danks (SP) 3
The Great One Alexi Ogando (MR) 2
Glenneration X Elliot Johnson (SS) 1 1
Glenneration X John Mayberry (LF) 1
Dough Boyz Marco Estrada (SP) 1
Mastersball.com - Carey Ben Revere (RF) 1

The big prize this week was Dayan Viciedo - a player I drafted and unfortunately cut. I was the runner-up bid in an attempt to get him back but it was not to be. This week I made moves on Felipe Paulino and Jerome Williams. I also acquired Revere from a contingent bid behind Viciedo. I cut Jarrod Parker, Peter Bourjos and Colby Rasmus. Rasmus was a tough cut and in retrospect I should have dumped J Dyson instead. predictably Rasmus picked it up following my cut. My team had slipped in the standings out of first place, and I needed to make a push in pitching as I had given up ground in K's.

deansdaddy

#17 Post by deansdaddy »

Here are this week's results for my OLC league:

5/27

Mastersball.com - Carey Matt Adams (1B) 72 29
Mastersball.com - Carey Will Middlebrooks (3B) 45 17
Glenneration X Tyler Clippard (MR) 41 1
DIESEL Will Venable (RF) 33
The Great One Colby Rasmus (CF) 21
Team Brady David Murphy (LF) 18 1
Mastersball.com - Carey Vance Worley (SP) 17
The Great One Scott Diamond (SP) 11
Team 403 Felix Doubront (SP) 11
The Great One Gordon Beckham (2B) 7
The Great One Rod Barajas (C) 3
Team 403 Michael Brantley (CF) 3
The Great One Sean Burnett (MR) 1
DIESEL Ryan Hanigan (C) 1 1
DIESEL Kurt Suzuki (C) 1
Dough Boyz Jarrod Parker (SP) 1
Team Sutton Alex Liddi (3B) 1

I went pretty big on Matt Adams, Will Middlebrooks and Vance Worley and won all three bids. I wasted some cash - but I got the guys I wanted. My cuts were Jarrod Dyson, Jerome Williams and Sean Marshall. I actually had Rasmus as a contingent bid behind both my bats - and would have won him back had I lost out on either. My team roared back up the standings thanks to a big pitching week. I am also back up to 62 in the overall standings. SB's continues to be a weak spot - but lately I have been getting contributions for across my lineup. I hung onto Ben Revere for one mor eweek as a pure speed option, but he in on the bench to start the week.I also have weathered Matt Kemp's DL stint and get him back finally this week. Unfortunately I also got news of Jered Weaver DL stint - and he was in the lineup - so I lose a two start week there. Thankfully Chris Sale provided two pitcher's worth of K's in his first start.

Here is my current roster:

C - Mauer, Saltalamacchia
1B- M Cuddyer (OF)
2B- I Kinsler
SS- D Jeter
3B- A Beltre
CI- A LaRoche
MI- M Scutaro
OF- M Kemp, M Holliday, B Boesch, J Kubel, J Francoeur
UT- Middlebrooks,
RES- M Adams, P Goldschmidt, Revere

Return of Kemp a big plus. Adams and Middlebrooks give me depth at the corners which will potentially allow me to move Cuddyer back to OF finally. LaRoche could be heading into a cold spell as well, so I wanted a backup there. I still believe in Goldschmidt, but had to admit he just wasn't getting the AB's at this point. Revere is on the bubble, and a MI with some speed might be the best option going forward.

Pitching:

SP - CJ Wilson, J Weaver, B Beachy, M Latos, R Nolasco, C Sale, F Paulino, V Worley
RP - Chapman, K Jansen, S Casilla, A Aceves, A Reed

I felt taking a chance on Worley was worth the risk. No ligament damage and Phillies are a team that wins. Injury to Weaver and Wilson's blister this week hopefully not major blows. I have a treasure trove of closers - but I am using only three with Aceves and Reed on the bench this week. It stinks to have to burn roster spots on them, but for now I have to keep all five. No trades means I either keep them or drop them. Not ready to do that just yet and I like having the insurance here.

Hopefully we can keep on rolling and hope that Kemp gets going again. I lagged a bit in RBI's and HR's in his absence. Time to get back a couple points I lost in those two cats.

deansdaddy

#18 Post by deansdaddy »

Here are the results for this week - I actually took the week of and made no moves after last week's binge. I considered Q Berry (who no one else grabbed) for steals - but couldn't find someone I wanted to cut. The pitching available didn't excite too much - but I was intrigued by both Bucholz and Bailey. The downside of locking up 5 closers is I am locking up 2-3 roster spots with guys I am not using on a weekly basis. You just can't go 4-5 closers a week and stay in the K and W race. So then not only am I not using certain guys, I also have to try and pick the right ones each week. Headaches. I will likely cut someone loose at some point - but not yet. Still sitting in first place in this league - but losing Kemp after waiting two weeks to get him back hurts. Looks like it could be a month this time - OUCH!

Team 403 Clay Buchholz (SP) 31
The Lyndons Homer Bailey (SP) 28 8
DIESEL Darwin Barney (2B) 23 9
Team 403 Brian Matusz (SP) 21 2
Team Brady Sergio Romo (MR) 15
The Lyndons Yasmani Grandal (C) 15 11
Dough Boyz Tyler Greene (2B) 13
Team 403 Salvador Perez (C) 11
ElCaRTeL Michael Saunders (CF) 9 1
The Great One Joe Saunders (SP) 7
Dough Boyz Scott Feldman (MR) 6 3
The Great One Philip Humber (SP) 3
Glenneration X Jose Tabata (RF) 3
Glenneration X Tom Wilhelmsen (MR) 2
Glenneration X Francisco Liriano (SP) 2
Team Metivier Vernon Wells (LF) 1

deansdaddy

#19 Post by deansdaddy »

Time for an update on my quest to win the big prize in the NFBC Online Championship.

Currently I am still in First Place in my individual league, although I did drop out of the top spot for a few days earlier in the month. Still I am back on top and will have to keep on grinding away. In the Overall I am sitting at 75th currently out of 864, so I am in the hunt heading into the second half. My two weak categories are SB's and K's, and my drop in K's is partly due to some injury bad luck and employing extra closers for a few weeks. Last week I only started two of my 5 closers - and started to make up some ground in K's. But I have a lot of points I can grab there going forward. Steals I have actually mad up some ground thanks to Ben Revere - but I still have plenty of points to grab there as well. If there are two stats to be gunning for - these aren't bad ones to have to chase. My ratios are all very good at this point - so I have given myself some room to employ double-starters in the second half to chase K's if needed.

I actually hadn't posted here as I hadn't made very many moves for about three weeks. I was doing well and hoarding the FAAB I had left . I did grab Alex Presley in Week 11 and dropped Matt Adams.

I caught some injury bad luck when I lost Brandon Beachy and Felipe Paulino in the same week.

I replaced them with Barry Zito (double start week) and Marco Estrada last week. I also finally cut bait on Brennan Boesch and grabbed Evereth Cabrera for some more speed on the bench. E Cab himself could get cut after the break if he doesn't start hitting.

This week I cut Zito to grab another bat. I naroowly missed on Anthony Rizzo, but landed Tyler Colvin for $2. The key for my team is to keep on holding on. I will get Matt Kemp back soon I hope.

Team Metivier Pedro Alvarez (3B) 76 5
The Great One Anthony Rizzo (1B) 65 58
Stallions J.D. Martinez (LF) 53
Team Metivier Chris Young (SP) 25
Team Sutton Quintin Berry (CF) 23
Team 403 Yasmani Grandal (C) 21 20
Team Brady Michael Brantley (CF) 17
Glenneration X Luke Scott (LF) 16
Team 403 Michael Fiers (SP) 11 10
Team 403 Clayton Richard (SP) 11 1
Team 403 Daniel Murphy (2B) 11
DIESEL Carlos Villanueva (MR) 11