NFBC XII Inaugural Team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
southpaw

NFBC XII Inaugural Team

#1 Post by southpaw »

So I decided to take a shot at the inaugural NFBC 12 team championship format. I ended up drafting via teleconference with the live Chicago drafters. I was a little worried how that would play out but I have to say, it went without a hitch. The guys from Stats were great and relayed every pick to me as they happened. I just had my laptop and cheatsheets laid out so I could update who was taken and keep track of my team as well. It was fun and I would do it again if I had to.

Interesting draft. It veered is some interesting directions including a run on closers that I haven't seen. Just about every closer was gone by round 13 and the speculative ones went within a couple more rounds. One team took 4 closers in a row with having one SP rostered at the time. I found myself taking a couple players who I felt slipped too far even though they weren't in my gameplan. In turn, I was light on speed by the end game and had to reach for a couple guys myself that brought SB potential.

Drafted from the 9 hole:

C McCann (6), Avila (11)
[Shocked Avila fell to 11, had to grab him there, Arencibia taken right before him]
1B Fielder (2), Freeman (10), Lind (17)
[Lind wasn't on my radar with already taking 2 1B but couldn't pass him up in round 17]
2B Zobrist (5), Walker (16)
[Initially will put Walker at MI but I have flexibility with Zobrist]
SS Hardy (14), S-Rod (27), Drew (29)
[JJ is one pick I'd like back. Positional need told me to take Hardy with Jesus Montero still on the board and went 4 picks later]
3B Bautista (1), Zimmerman (4)
[It was between Joey B and AdGon; Zimm in round 4 allows me to put Joey B in OF]
OF Stubbs (9), T Hunter (15), De Aza (20), Revere (22), JD Martinez (24)
[Bautista will be in OF so one of these will start on my bench; had to reach for Revere in 22 as I needed speed and will be getting more in FAAB]

SP Lincecum (3), Wainwright (8), Morrow (12), Hellickson (18), McCarthy (19), Masterson (21), Jurrjens (25), Leake (28)
RP Kimbrel (7), C Perez (13), Venters (23), H Rodriguez (30)
[Solid rotation, I feel. Taking Morrow and Kimbrel allowed me to grab lower ratio/lower K guys like Hellickson, McCarthy, Masterson and Leake later on. Wanted Pestano but I was greedy and waited too long]

I welcome all thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

mbendar
Major League Veteran

Re: NFBC XII Inaugural Team

#2 Post by mbendar »

It's always a little difficult to judge the 12 teamers because it seems like everyone has solid teams. With that said, your hitting is excellent and your noting of a little light in steals shouldn't be big issue because if there is one thing you can be weak in, especially in a 12 teamer, it's steals.

Pitching - it's a solid staff, but could be a little light for a 12 teamer - IMO you need Wainright and Morrrow to produce to your expectations and you don't have 3 closers, and in worst case scenario with Perez, wouldn't have 2. 3 closers is usually what you need in the 12 teamer to compete in the overall (and sometimes league), even if you don't start 3 of them all the time.

If Pitching holds up, this team should be in contention, as I think your hitting is top of the league.

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

mbendar wrote:It's always a little difficult to judge the 12 teamers because it seems like everyone has solid teams. With that said, your hitting is excellent and your noting of a little light in steals shouldn't be big issue because if there is one thing you can be weak in, especially in a 12 teamer, it's steals.

Pitching - it's a solid staff, but could be a little light for a 12 teamer - IMO you need Wainright and Morrrow to produce to your expectations and you don't have 3 closers, and in worst case scenario with Perez, wouldn't have 2. 3 closers is usually what you need in the 12 teamer to compete in the overall (and sometimes league), even if you don't start 3 of them all the time.

If Pitching holds up, this team should be in contention, as I think your hitting is top of the league.

Thanks, I agree 100%. I like Wainy where I got him. He's had an outstanding return so far and could put up numbers equating to where he was being drafted pre-TJS. He's a good #2. Morrow is an iffy #3 like you noted. If I could go back, I'd take a Latos in round 10 to help shore up the staff.
I wish I could have gotten 3 closers. I was sweating getting that 2nd one when the big run happened. I'm going to have to be aggressive when the time comes in obtaining saves on the WW.
Thanks for the comments, Mark.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

I like the team and with De Aza and Revere starting in the outfield I don't think you are light on speed assuming Stubbs can hit enough to hold the job all year.

GOOD Effort