ONLY FORMATS NEXT SEASON WITH HOUSTON MOVING

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

ONLY FORMATS NEXT SEASON WITH HOUSTON MOVING

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm having an interesting discussion with Ron Shandler of Baseball HQ and Greg Ambrosius of the NFBC concerning the number of team in AL and NL only next season.

I know it is a dying breed, but have any of you thought about what you are going to do?

My initial thought is both being 12 team leagues but adding a 24th roster spot that can be a pitcher or a hitter.

In terms of overall player pool penetration:

NOW

AL - 79%
NL - 78% (assumes 10 pitchers)

WITH HOUSTON and 24th swingman spot - 77%
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

Re: ONLY FORMATS NEXT SEASON WITH HOUSTON MOVING

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I think it depends on the league - rules/rosters/keeper or redraft

For the NFFC I would think it best for them to just leave as is - not a big enough deal either way so why get some knickers in a knot with a change

For private leagues aside from league parameters above it depends on the owner's collective attitudes and what you would have to do.

In my ten team AL keeper league (deeper than many eleven or even some twelve team leagues because of a minor league draft each year and deep farm rosters plus three man reserve list) this was discussed last spring and the majority of that league leaned towards adding a second UT or swingman over expanding (although that may well have been driven by protectionist concerns)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't think you can have a 13-team NL only league with 15 team NL teams unless you drop an OF and go with 9P.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

For us? Status quo - keep the 23 man rosters the same for both our 11 team AL only and 11 team NL only. We'll call Houston a "bonus" to our AL league and not that much of a loss to our NL - and if we go back to 12 teams in either of our leagues? Same thing. No modifications. As my brother says to our football league when they complain our championships come in week 17 of the season; "Draft better!"
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Todd Zola wrote:I don't think you can have a 13-team NL only league with 15 team NL teams unless you drop an OF and go with 9P.
Sorry didn't think NL - they should just drop it to 12 for both leagues and NL should drop the 10th pitcher and they would both be the same then

Trav The Ump

#6 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'm a bit behind on my forum reading...our league (11 team AL) has decided the Astro's are simply a bonus. The waiver wire is insanely thin at the best of times, taking another 11 hitters or pitchers out will just deplete things further.