Would you account for this, and how?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
AllstonRockCity

Would you account for this, and how?

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

In prepping for my high stakes league that drafts tomorrow (3/16) at 8pm, I noticed something and was wonder what everyone here thought.

The default rankings in the draft room for this site have some serious positional scarcity incorporated into them. 3B's and MI's are ranked crazy high because they play at such 'scarce positions'. Now, I would like to think that everyone in the draft will be using their own lists and I won't need to account for this at all. But, as we all know, when you have that queue staring you in the face, it makes you look at guys sooner than you would if you just stuck to your own list.

Does anyone think I should account for this? If so, how much? And how would you suggest I go about doing that?

TIA

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Would you account for this, and how?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What is the format of your league? Some rooms like ESPN/Yahoo rank according to their home game which for ESPN is 10 team mixed with 1 catcher, so when I was involved with their ranking summit, it was KILLING me to not get the votes to have Napoli ranked higher :mrgreen:

I think you probably have to do a little bit of both zigging and zagging. if the draft favors scarcity, then take what they give you, to a degree and hit the OF and CI early, but try to leave at least 2 spots for an OF later.

Maybe this means taking a 2nd catcher (if you use one, starting pitching and a closer early if at your turn in the middle rounds, the best hitters are OF and you have not reached the point yet where the 2b/ss/3b are mixed in with the rest.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

It is the standard 14/9 so yes, we do use 2 Cs. In fact when I mocked the other night I did get both napoli and m montero (like 10 rounds later) so that is a path I'm willing to take.

You are basically echoing the thoughts already in my head; don't account for it just take what the draft gives you but know this might happen so be prepared to call an audible.

I guess the main problem is (and you can see this in our forum draft) I do like to focus on my IF early and get my OF and pitching a little later. My concern is that the sites prerank might have everyone using the same plan as myself negating my 'advantage'.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Any league mate that follows any site's default ranking will be Dead Money..............so I wouldn't worry about it too much