Fantrax Salary Cap Challenge Help

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
batboyslim

Fantrax Salary Cap Challenge Help

#1 Post by batboyslim »

I recently signed up for the Rookie version of the Salary Cap Challenge over at fantrax.com. This is my first time ever doing a salary cap game system, so I was wondering if any of you guys had experience in this and could give me a few tips. I was also wondering to see who you guys think would be good sleeper/breakout picks this year.

Money is on the line for me here (through the site), and it would be nice to win something. There are Silver and Gold Leagues too where you can win up to $200,000. I suggest you check it out.
If you want to do the Rookie version, I'm in Group 2.

Thanks in advance!

Captain Hook

Re: Fantrax Salary Cap Challenge Help

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Have you already drafted?

If not, you should get a copy of Wiseguys Baseball (his prices are for the CDM game but the information should be helpful for any salary cap game)

deansdaddy

Re: Fantrax Salary Cap Challenge Help

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Gotta be honest - I don't play salary cap games as I never loved the format - and it's tough to give you recommendations without knowing the prices. BUT I have played once or twice in the past and my approach was to try and balance bargains with studs. The more bargains you can find the more studs you can afford to roster. Generally I liked to grab my studs at 1B/3B/C and try to mine for bargains at 2B/SS/OF. As for pitching I would try to avoid paying for the Top priced pitching instead trying to grab more from the middle ground. Closers - try to get some decent ones on the cheap (think Motte/Farnsworth/Hanrahan)

Without looking at prices some names I might expect to be undervalued would be up and coming players:

C - Jesus Montero, Salvador Perez
1B - Eric Hosmer, Ike Davis
2B - Dustin Ackley, Jason Kipnis
3B - Brett Lawrie, Mike Moustakas
SS - Dee Gordon
OF - Desmond Jennings, Cameron Maybin, Brennan Boesch, Dexter Fowler, Dayan Viciedo

SP - Darvish, Pineda, Strasberg, Latos, Bumgarner, B Morrow, B McCarthy, C Sale, J Parker
RP - Go cheap as you can here.

I would suggest throwing together a sample entry - then feel free to post it and I will give you my two cents.

P.S. - Okay I actually peeked at salaries and all these guys ARE reasonably priced. I think you could get a nice team and then add in a Pujols/Cabrera/Braun/ and then maybe one or two elite starters like Kershaw/Halladay