My 2nd NFBC Slow Draft

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
mbendar
Major League Veteran

My 2nd NFBC Slow Draft

#1 Post by mbendar »

I've seen some round by round analysis then stopped in round 10, so I'll post my picks to date with analysis through round 7 (from the 8 slot):

1 - Jose Bautista - very happy with this pick as I have him ranked better than 8. Could have doubled up on Cano from 1st slow draft, but went with the highest player on my list and the dual eligibility in this format is a plus.

2 - Andrew McCutchen - for the 2nd time, I lost out on Halladay and Reyes right before my pick. I couldn't screw up by taking vMart this time, so had the same choice of Verlander, McCutchen or Stanton and went with McCutchen.

3 - Jay Bruce - this pick changed my draft to date. Only 5 pitchers had gone to this point and took the chance that 1 of the next 6 would make it back to me. If Bruce continues his yearly improvement, 40 HR's could be in reach and if not, 30+ was too good to pass up here for me. Could regret passing up on King Felix.

4 - Matt Cain - my gamble didn't pay off, as the 6 pitchers and only 6 went before this pick. I sensed a pitching run and Cain was the highest pitcher on my board. I like his stability and plan to get K's out of my SP2. Passed on Zobrist and Phillips, which if I knew what was going to happen in the next 14 picks.....

5 - Yovani Gallardo - again, my sense of where the draft would go was wrong - pitching has been very light and this pick gets the K's I need to back up Cain. Picking Gallardo makes me feel much better about Cain.

6 - Kevin Youkilis - I really don't like this pick but I had 6 guys on my want list - Rollins, Mauer, Utley, ARod, Weeks and Youkilis and Utley was the last of the other 5 to go right before my pick. Need to get Cerrano's Jobu doll out to keep him healthy :mrgreen:

7 - Adam Wainwright - This is a conscious decision to zig when everyone else is zagging - my draft has been the complete opposite of the early pitching of most drafts this season and decided I'm going to load up on the pitching as long as this trend continues. I like the gamble of Wainwright in the 7th round, especially as a SP3.

Well aware of where I don't have players, which will be addressed in the next 5-7 rounds.

Thoughts?

Mark

Captain Hook

Re: My 2nd NFBC Slow Draft

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Looks very good so far Mark - long way to Tipperary

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

I'm in the draft with you. It's been an odd one, that's for sure. A couple guys waiting till the double digit rounds for pitching has caused SP to slip further than usual. Then you have the constant roll backs because of mis-picks. It's been frustrating.

Here's what I have so far from the 4 spot:

OF Kemp
3B Beltre
SP Lincecum
2B/OF Zobrist
C McCann
SP Shields
OF Gardner
SS Hardy
OF Stubbs
RP Valverde
SP C Carpenter
RP Marmol
1B Howard

So far I think it's a good but boring squad. Nothing for me to get excited about yet. Was really surprised Stubbs lasted till round 9. Couldn't really pass that up. Carpenter in round 11 is pretty good value for my SP3. I have two for sure closers but I hated taking Marmol. I think Howard slipped because of the news this weekend about the infection. I still think he comes back end of May/June 1. 13th round is latest I've seen him go so far so even though I've tried to stay away from him, I couldn't resist. I hope I don't regret passing over Gaby for him.

mbendar
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mbendar »

Well then, I guess I should stop the round by round thought analysis :mrgreen:

Just kidding, if that's impacts anyone else's draft, I'd consider it a complement.

I was considering taking Marmol in the 12th and definitely on the way back when you took him, but Crisp in my opinion was the last elite speed option left and couldn't pass that up.

I'm as unhappy (probably more so) with FFrancisco as you are with Marmol. If he provides anything close to the MB projection, I'm very happy with my pitching to date.

After a slow draft, it's moving fairly well - I hope it finishes before my 1st live draft next weekend, or if not, late enough that I can just auto for the day.