NFBC Round One/Two

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
deansdaddy

Re: NFBC Round One/Two

#11 Post by deansdaddy »

Freeman's hurt - so I would be careful there - also he may slip further than normal - so I would take a chance and see if he slides.

deansdaddy

#12 Post by deansdaddy »

I would suggest holding off on getting another SP of you can. You need to get some bats. You WILL have to be ready to grab at least one CL (and perhaps two back to back) in rounds 9/10.

With these next two picks I would focus on getting the best MI I could - are Kendrick, D Gordon, E Aybar, Utley, A Ramiriez still around? Take a look at the OF's as well - that might be a better way to go with one of these two picks. Or get your fisrt closer now - who's out there?

I think Lind and Freeman will last - but have you considered Mike Cuddyer? If he's there I like him better than either Lind or Freeman.

telestar

#13 Post by telestar »

deansdaddy wrote:I would suggest holding off on getting another SP of you can. You need to get some bats. You WILL have to be ready to grab at least one CL (and perhaps two back to back) in rounds 9/10.

With these next two picks I would focus on getting the best MI I could - are Kendrick, D Gordon, E Aybar, Utley, A Ramiriez still around? Take a look at the OF's as well - that might be a better way to go with one of these two picks. Or get your fisrt closer now - who's out there?

I think Lind and Freeman will last - but have you considered Mike Cuddyer? If he's there I like him better than either Lind or Freeman.
Thx very much - Cuddyer was gone. I wanted a corner guy - so I went with Freeman despite his injury. He really was the best corner left. The only MI left on your list above is Aybar - so I probably won't get him. I agree about the RP in rounds 9/10. Probably will have to do that. So MI will be weak. Sigh.

It is sure tough in a 15 team league.

deansdaddy

#14 Post by deansdaddy »

No prob - keep us updated and feel free to ask about any players you are considering - you surely get plenty of opinions. :D

Don't psych yourself out while drafting regarding the "toughness" - yes it's likely deeper into the player pool than you've drafted before and the competition is much more prepared than what you will find anywhere else - but if you found your way to the NFBC it was because you desired the challenge. Your up to it, I'm sure - heck you are smart enough to be here at MB :lol:

One of the challenges is realizing that while constructing your team you will have some weak spots, you have to take some risks, grab some sleepers - BUT - you don't want to fall into the trap of letting what others are doing dictate how you approach your plan. (Well - not too much at least)

telestar

#15 Post by telestar »

OK - would appreciate further opinions on what to do next (Ryan, thanks for your help). My next pick is a ways away - so some of these guys below will be taken before I come up.

14 rounds complete:
C Posey; C ____; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI ____; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF ____; OF ____; OF ____; UT ____
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; P ____; P ____; P ____

My plan was to look for a C and MI next if possible.

Available C: Soto; Buck; Suzuki; Saltalamacchia; S.Perez; C.Ruiz; Pierzynski; Lucroy; Iannetta; R.Hernandez; Hundley; Barajas
Available MI: K.Johnson; R.Rayburn; J.Altuve; Desmond; Bartlett; Y.Escobar; Furcal
Other Available Hitters: Rios; Kubel; Willingham; Boesch; Morneau; C.Pena; L.Morrison; Tabata; Viciedo; A.Jackson; Cespedes; A.LaRoche; Belt; Chisenhall

Available SP: Sale; Masterson; McCarthy; Lilly; Fister; J.Parker
Plus the 7 generally weakest closers are available

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

telestar wrote:OK - would appreciate further opinions on what to do next (Ryan, thanks for your help). My next pick is a ways away - so some of these guys below will be taken before I come up.

14 rounds complete:
C Posey; C ____; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI ____; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF ____; OF ____; OF ____; UT ____
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; P ____; P ____; P ____

Available C: Soto; Buck; Suzuki; Saltalamacchia; S.Perez; C.Ruiz; Pierzynski; Lucroy; Iannetta; R.Hernandez; Hundley; Barajas
Available MI: K.Johnson; R.Rayburn; J.Altuve; Desmond; Bartlett; Y.Escobar; Furcal
Other Available Hitters: Rios; Kubel; Willingham; Boesch; Morneau; C.Pena; L.Morrison; Tabata; Viciedo; A.Jackson; Cespedes; A.LaRoche; Belt; Chisenhall

Well you want to take the BEST players available as long as they will help your team
so in no particular order
1) You definitely want to add a second starting catcher before that pool dries up - I like suzuki and Perez of that group
2) you have to fill out your MI with a starter - you can get capable reserves for both MI and CI as the draft moves along but you do NEED extra players - I like Desmont and Escobar best of that group
3) you need to continue to add stating outfielders - there will be lots of reserve outfielders later in the draft but you don't want to have to start them - I like Boesch, Tabata, and Kuble there

As far as pitchers you want to continue to add the - LOTS of them, but each draft is a guess as to when to take a hitter you need and when to take a pitcher you need.

I like all those starters
You should add another closer - even if week and particularly in your case later on want to make sure to add Sergio Romo as a backup for Wilson

telestar

#17 Post by telestar »

Captain Hook wrote:
telestar wrote:OK - would appreciate further opinions on what to do next (Ryan, thanks for your help). My next pick is a ways away - so some of these guys below will be taken before I come up.

14 rounds complete:

Well you want to take the BEST players available as long as they will help your team
so in no particular order
1) You definitely want to add a second starting catcher before that pool dries up - I like suzuki and Perez of that group
2) you have to fill out your MI with a starter - you can get capable reserves for both MI and CI as the draft moves along but you do NEED extra players - I like Desmont and Escobar best of that group
3) you need to continue to add stating outfielders - there will be lots of reserve outfielders later in the draft but you don't want to have to start them - I like Boesch, Tabata, and Kuble there

As far as pitchers you want to continue to add the - LOTS of them, but each draft is a guess as to when to take a hitter you need and when to take a pitcher you need.

I like all those starters
You should add another closer - even if week and particularly in your case later on want to make sure to add Sergio Romo as a backup for Wilson
Thanks Cap - all good points. I am worried that I won't be able to accomplish all those goals - C, MI, OF, SP and RP. Know you can't help with that - but it will be a battle to cover as many spots as I can. Thanks much.

telestar

#18 Post by telestar »

17 of 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; C Soto; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI Altuve; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF Kubel; OF ____; OF ____; UT ____

Available Hitters: M.Carp; Boesch; Viciedo; A.LaRoche; Chisenhall; Heisey; A.Craig; R.Rayburn; Bartlett
Available SP: J.Parker; Oswalt; Stauffer; Braden; Collmenter; J.VazquezSurkamp; Danks; Jurrjens; J.Sanchez
Available RP: J.Johnson; A.Reed; S.Romo plus some decent setup men - but I should take Romo first if I can get him above other setup guys

Any suggestions welcome.

telestar

#19 Post by telestar »

18 of 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; C Soto; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI Altuve; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF Kubel; OF ____; OF ____; UT ____
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; RP J.Johnson; P ____; P ____

Available Hitters: M.Carp; Boesch; Viciedo; A.LaRoche; Chisenhall; A.Craig; R.Rayburn; Bartlett
Available SP: J.Parker; Oswalt; Stauffer; Braden; Collmenter; J.Vazquez; Surkamp; Jurrjens; J.Sanchez
Available RP: A.Reed; S.Romo plus some decent setup men - but I should take Romo first if I can get him above other setup guys

Any suggestions welcome.

Captain Hook

#20 Post by Captain Hook »

telestar wrote:18 of 50 rounds complete:
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; RP J.Johnson; P ____; P ____

Available Hitters: M.Carp; Boesch; Viciedo; A.LaRoche; Chisenhall; A.Craig; R.Rayburn; Bartlett
Available SP: J.Parker; Oswalt; Stauffer; Braden; Collmenter; J.Vazquez; Surkamp; Jurrjens; J.Sanchez
Available RP: A.Reed; S.Romo plus some decent setup men - but I should take Romo first if I can get him above other setup guys

Any suggestions welcome.
1) Boesch
2) Carp
3) Stauffer
4) J. Parker
5) Rayburn
6) Viciedo
7) Jurrjens

telestar

#21 Post by telestar »

20 of 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; C Soto; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI Altuve; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF Kubel; OF ____; OF ____; UT Chisenhall
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; RP J.Johnson; P H.Alvarez; P ____

Available Hitters: S.Perez; C.Ruiz; N.Morgan; A.LaRoche; N.Hundley; A.Craig; A.Presley; Bartlett; B.LaHair; G.Jones; A.Torres; B.Allen; D.Mesoraco
Available SP: J.Parker; B.Colon; Oswalt; J.Tomlin; Braden; Collmenter; Surkamp; J.Turner; C.Capuano; C.Pavano; A.Ogando; M.Minor; J.Sanchez
Available RP: A.Reed; S.Romo
plus some decent setup men - but I should take Romo first if I can get him above other setup guys

Any suggestions welcome.

Captain Hook

#22 Post by Captain Hook »

telestar wrote:20 of 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; C Soto; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI Altuve; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF Kubel; OF ____; OF ____; UT Chisenhall
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; RP J.Johnson; P H.Alvarez; P ____

Available Hitters: S.Perez; C.Ruiz; N.Morgan; A.LaRoche; N.Hundley; A.Craig; A.Presley; Bartlett; B.LaHair; G.Jones; A.Torres; B.Allen; D.Mesoraco
Available SP: J.Parker; B.Colon; Oswalt; J.Tomlin; Braden; Collmenter; Surkamp; J.Turner; C.Capuano; C.Pavano; A.Ogando; M.Minor; J.Sanchez
Available RP: A.Reed; S.Romo
plus some decent setup men - but I should take Romo first if I can get him above other setup guys

Any suggestions welcome.
I would take Addison Reed over Romo because I think he will close at some point this year in Chicago while Romo would only get saves if Wilson goes down and so far so good for him. Plus if you get Reed you have 2+ closers and if Reed gets the job at some point you might have three - I would still get Romo but you could then wait for him.

The only SP I would add immediately would be Jarrod Parker
Of the hitters I might well take Perez or Ruiz to give you a third catcher especially with likely to develop 1B eligibility

I also like Pressley and like LaHair who right now only qualifies at OF but will add 1B

deansdaddy

#23 Post by deansdaddy »

Capn' mentions the two guys I was going to suggest in Redd and Parker - so I will just echo his recommendation there.

I also like Presley and Lahair and think you should be able to get one of them on your next pair of picks.

Parker looked great in his first spring start.

telestar

#24 Post by telestar »

34 of 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; C Soto; 1B Teixeira; 3B Headley: CR Freeman; 2B Phillips; SS Aybar; MI Altuve; OF Ellsbury; OF Rasmus; OF Kubel; OF A.Presley; OF A.Torres; UT Chisenhall
SP F.Hernandez; SP C.Carpenter; SP Beachy; SP Hellickson; P H.Alvarez; P J.Parker; RP B.Wilson; RP Motte; RP J.Johnson

Reserve Hitters: A.Gonzalez (MIL); T.Snider; C.Snyder; B.Allen; R.Sweeney
Reserve SP: C.Capuano; D.Braden; E.Surkamp
Reserve RP: F.Salas; F.de los Santos

Available Hitters: Jesus Guzman; D.Lee; C.Blake; D.Descalso; J.Schafer; John Baker; V.Guerrero; F.Cervelli; J.Thome
Available SP: Javier Vazquez (assume he is retired); N.Molina; B.Beavan; K.Kendrick; J.Blanton; K.Medlen; J.Westbrook; L.Lynn
Available RP: K.Uehara; S.Downs; E.O'Flaherty; E.Mujica; L.Coleman; O.Dotel; D.Carpenter; W.Lopez

Any suggestions appreciated

Captain Hook

#25 Post by Captain Hook »

I would for sure get Posey's backup (unless you had two starting catchers on reserve).......IMO you need four catchers for these rosters...I might carry five with Posey's issues

You NEED more pitchers - don't be afraid to get the best/most likely to be called up at some point this year - Trevor Bauer, AZ; Danny Hultzen, SEA; Gerrit Cole, PIT; Mike Montgomery, KC; etc

Forget RP other than Romo or potential closers (Carpenter/Hou would be interesting IF/when they trade Myers)

I like Jesus Guzman a LOT.....just not sure where the at bats come from but it's a long season

southpaw

#26 Post by southpaw »

Yeah, Guzman is a good get this late. Also, surprised Schafer is still available. He is the Astros starting CF, right? Are you sure that's not Logan Schafer of the Brewers?

southpaw

#27 Post by southpaw »

Whoops, just realized the last post was 3 days ago. This thing is probably about wrapped up by now, huh?

telestar

#28 Post by telestar »

All 50 rounds complete:
C Posey; Soto; Snyder; Jaso; A.Recker; J.Baker
CR: Teixeira; Headley: Freeman; B.Allen; Chisenhall; D.Barton; D.Descalso
MI Phillips; Aybar; Altuve; A.Gonzalez (MIL); Taylor Green; Fontenot
OF Ellsbury; Rasmus; Kubel; A.Presley; A.Torres; T.Snider; R.Sweeney; McLouth; M.Diaz
SP F.Hernandez; C.Carpenter; Beachy; Hellickson; H.Alvarez; J.Parker; C.Capuano; D.Braden; E.Surkamp; B.Beavan; R.Wells; J.Westbrook; L.Lynn; C.Volstad
RP B.Wilson; Motte; J.Johnson; F.Salas; F.de los Santos; N.Masset; S.Kelley

Any reactions appreciated - and thanks for all the feedback previously!