Ryan C/Mastersball - CBS AL ONLY Team

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
deansdaddy

Ryan C/Mastersball - CBS AL ONLY Team

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - the draft is in the book and here is the squad. We'll use this thread to track weekly moves and standings throughout the year.

C - C Santana $27 R Lavarnway $1
1B - Trumbo $7 3B - M Young $22
2B - Cano $33 SS - Andrus $25
MI - J Keppinger -$2 CI - Figgins $5
CI - Figgins $5
OF - Rios- $16 Boesch $21
OF - Gentry $3 E Chavez$1 S Fuld $1
DH - LaPorta $1

P - King Felix - $25
P - Valverde $19
P - Capps $13
P - McCarthy -$13
P - J Sanchez -$9
P - H Alvarez -$9
P - A Ogando $4
P - C Pavano $2
P - V Pestano $1

RES - B Francisco, C Cowgill, G Richards, Derek Lee (took a shot here), A Cunningham, J Zumaya, J Iglesies

deansdaddy

Re: Ryan C/Mastersball - CBS AL ONLY Team

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Okay - the weekend isn't even over and already I have lost my first player. Joel Zumaya out for the season. Not really a surprise, but he actually had a decent bullpen days prior to the draft and I took a flyer in the reserve round to back up Capps pick (Perkins went before I was able to get him 1st rd of reserves). So I already have a spot to play with.

On the bright side - Chris Perez will miss 4-6 weeks with a pulled muscle. That's makes my $1 Vinnie Pestano look like a steal today. He'll get all of ST to work as the closer and will likely open the season in the role. There is a chance that if he does well - he doesn't give the job back.

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

Shhhhhhhhhh let's not talk of Vinnie Pestano please. ;)
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

More news breaking that is actually a positive for my team. Grady Sizemore had back surgery and will miss 2-4 months. Who knows, his career could be over at this point. However - this gives Matt LaPorta a little better shot at making the team out of spring training. I also grabbed Aaron Cunningham in the reserve round in case Sizemore would miss major time. Cunningham is out of options, so he will get a shot out there. Of course the Indians also have Shelley Duncan and Ryan Spillborghs in the mix.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

Made a couple minor moves in the early going in CBS league:

Pickups - Drew Smyly SP, DET
Jenmar Gomez SP CLE
Carlos Peguero OF SEA

Drops - Jose Iglesias SS BOS
Derrek Lee FA
Joel Zumaya, MIN

Zumaya was done for the year so an easy drop. D Lee didn't pan out and Iglesias got sent to minors. I decided to grab Smyly and Gomez as two arms who look poised to grab rotation spots. I will likely have to deal some SP's at some point and having some warm bodies to move in won't hurt.

Update 3/39 - With Mike Carp's injury requiring a DL stint - Peguero got recalled today meaning I should get some starts out of him for the next two weeks at least. Good news for my squad which can use whatever AB's I can find in the early going in the OF.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - a quick update on my AL-only squad. We are off to a slow start and are presently sitting in 11th place - with only Fan Duel's Mike Kuchera's team below us.

There is absolutely nothing on the wire in terms of offense, but I was able to add both Clete Thomas and Jason Repko for some help in the OF. I have Matt LaPorta stashed, and can only hope that he keeps hitting in AAA and forces his way to the majors. I also have Lavarnway stashed and maybe all the injuries in Fenway will get him a quicker recall as well. I am lagging on offense right now and need to find AB's.

On the bright side Drew Smyly and Jenmar Gomez have looked good so far and I have Grant Richards as well who has been lights out in AAA. As such I have pitching to deal and was the first to openly put players on the block for offense. Seeing no reason to hold back - I firmly put King Felix on the block to see if I could rouse anyone's interest in dealing with me. No nibbles yet - but everyone now knows who to call if they need pitching.

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Time to update my AL-Only squad which actually had a pretty decent week.

After languishing near the bottom of the standings we have surged a bit recently and as of today are up in 5th place!

Pitching has been our strong suit as we have 46.5 points on that side of the ledger.

Hitting we continue to struggle sitting at 20.5 points. Hopefully Cano's slam gets him going. Still HATE that Girardi insist on hitting his best player 5th in the lineup. He should be locked in the no 3 spot - matchups be damned.

But - at least we are out of the cellar here. I need LaPorta and Lavarnway to make their way to the majors soon. Cowgill wouldn't hurt either. Nothing on the wire in terms of offense - but I did grab Will Rhymes and Erik Komotsu so hopefully I get some short term help. Reimold's injury should get me some stats from Chavez as well in the short term.

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - another strong week for my AL-Only squad which has managed to fight it's way up to second place in the CBS Experts league,with 74.5 pts, trailing Derek Carty by 8 points. Still - I am pretty pleased that my team has been able to battle it's way into contention. My pitching staff continues to lead the way and I was able to make some headway on offense , passing some of the other offesnsively challenged teams to steal some points. Power is a problem for my squad, but I was able to gain ground in BA and SB's, while Robbie Cano got hot, helping in runs and RbI's. There is not much on the wire, but my recent claims were Scott Diamond, who did get two W's, (albeit on my bench) and I grabbed Jose Lopez. I also grabbed Hester, backup C in LAA for now. I had some DL moves (E Chavez, J Sanchez) that opened slots. My cut was Luke Hughes.

Right now I am in a group of 5 teams chasing D Carty, so I could slide back to 5th or 6th quickly. Still, I have gotten myself into the top half which is where you want to be at this point.