My NFBC Fast/Slow Draft

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
rudygamble

Re: My NFBC Fast/Slow Draft

#11 Post by rudygamble »

Hi Captain Hook -
Just wondering how this team did?

Thanks -
Rudy

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

rudygamble wrote:Hi Captain Hook -
Just wondering how this team did?

Thanks -
Rudy
Hi Rudy - this was from last season, and despite the injuries and those who never were available to play I was in contention at many points but ultimately finished 4th or 5th IIRC. As many pitchers as I had I could have used more.

rudygamble

#13 Post by rudygamble »

Thanks CH -
I am 30 rounds into my first 50 round slow draft and it helps to see a case study.

I think I am heeding your advice on SPs. Already have 10 in the first 30 picks.

Rudy

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

Don't forget your closers and closers in waiting

You want 25 pitchers but you need enough saves to be competitive and setup pitchers with great ratios and strikeouts who might get saves are valuable too

rudygamble

#15 Post by rudygamble »

I drafted Greg Holland and Huston Street then handcuffed with Gregerson (whom I like as an MR as well). Hoped to handcuff Holland with Herrera but he got snagged earlier than I expected (29th round). 54 relievers by my count have been drafted so far so I'm slightly below league pace. I'll likely snag an MR in the next couple rounds.

I did mentally note how your team last year was saved (pun intended) by Wilhelmsen. Ended up being a fantastic pick.

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

rudygamble wrote:I drafted Greg Holland and Huston Street then handcuffed with Gregerson (whom I like as an MR as well). Hoped to handcuff Holland with Herrera but he got snagged earlier than I expected (29th round). 54 relievers by my count have been drafted so far so I'm slightly below league pace. I'll likely snag an MR in the next couple rounds.

I did mentally note how your team last year was saved (pun intended) by Wilhelmsen. Ended up being a fantastic pick.
Thanks - a few to keep your eye on

1) Josh Fields, HOU - could end up being the closer there - Veras doesn't inspire a lot of confidence

2) Sean Marshall, CIN - we don't know if Chapman will remain a SP ... but we do know that Broxton can't go every day so Marshall if nothing else will get some LH save opps and will give you great numbers when you do deploy him

3) Heath Bell, AZ - Towers knows him better than anyone and Putz is another guy who can't go every day ... I know it's popular to think David Hernandez, but .....

rudygamble

#17 Post by rudygamble »

Thanks for the tips.

Agree that Marshall is an MR to watch - he got nabbed as part of the top MR (non-partial closer) tier with Storen, Hernandez, and Gregerson b/w rounds 23-25 (Jansen was picked in Round 12).

Veras is definitely the iffiest closer out there. Fields is intriguing. You could probably choose 3 closers for Astros and I still might take the 'field' bet on largest # of Saves this season. But definitely a good late round flier.

Interesting on Heath Bell. His 2012 stats look a lot better in the light of day. Wouldn't be the first time that the top MR/seemingly closer in waiting gets passed up.

*UPDATES*
- Was able to get Jared Burton in the 32nd round as my 4th reliever. Venters was surprisingly available but Burton feels like the better bet for a 2013 closing opportunity

- Took Carter Capps in the 34th round. LOVE this guy's stuff. 98 MPH fastball. Seems like he has better K-potential and control than Pryor. I think he has Janzen/K-Rob lite potential this year and is next in line should Wilhelmsen falter or get injured