NFBC Slow Draft Advice

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
daweasle
Major League Veteran

NFBC Slow Draft Advice

#1 Post by daweasle »

Looking for your inputs on my ongoing NFBC Slow Draft team. (15 teams, I pick on the 15/16 turn every round)

Here's what I have so far: (WHAT DO YOU THINK?)

C Brian McCann
C Russell Martin
1B Carlos Pena
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Hanley Ramirez
3B Kevin Youkilis
MI Rickie Weeks
CI Derrek Lee
OF Lance Berkman
OF Matt Joyce
OF Jeff Francouer
OF Rajai Davis
OF
UT

P Jered Weaver
P Chris Carpenter
P Ubaldo Jimenez
P Max Scherzer
P
P
P
P
RP Brian Wilson
RP Javy Guerra

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC Slow Draft Advice

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

sort of in a rush, but my quick thoughts...

You have some injury risk in the middle, someone like Jamey Carroll that can cover both positions could be a nice target.

Davis doesn't have a job - not sure I would have taken him when guys with jobs are still available.

Really short on saves as Jensen has a great chance to get the saves is LA. I'd really try to get Romo to handcuff Wilson (injured at the end of '11) and find another possible closer from Balfour, Reed, D Carpenter or F Cordero.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

Thanks for the quick reply -

I researched everywhere and everyone seems to think guerra is the default closer in LAD....I just went with the consensus....

assuming Rajai Davis was a one category producer (SB) so if he can pinch run nearly every night - can he produce 30 SB?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

There is supposed to be an open competition for the closer gig in La La land and Jensen has the skills to take the job and run with it.

Re: Davis - I doubt it, especially on that team. Who is Davis going to pinch run for and who is going to then take the field? 30 steals is a ton for that role. I can see picking him up as a 6th or 7th OF just in case Rasmus gets hurt, but not as someone I plan on starting.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

SO here we are a week or so later...

any updated inputs?

C Brian McCann
C Russell Martin
1B Carlos Pena
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Hanley Ramirez
3B Kevin Youkilis
MI Rickie Weeks
CI Derrek Lee
OF Lance Berkman
OF Matt Joyce
OF Jeff Francouer
OF Jason Burgieous
OF Franklin Gutierrez
UT Adam LaRoche

Hitting Depth:
C Francisco Cervelli
MI Yuniesky Betancourt, Orlando Hudson
1B - (berkman/laroche/dlee/pena)
OF Rajai Davis, Matt Joyce

SP Jered Weaver
SP Chris Carpenter
SP Ubaldo Jimenez
SP Max Scherzer
SP Carlos Zambrano
SP Dallas Braden
SP Wade Davis
RP Brian Wilson
RP Javy Guerra
RP J Abreu
RP D Carpenter
RP Joey Devine
RP Brian Fuentes

I got about 12 picks left. What should I focus on?
(very little few guys left with guaranteed ABs)

southpaw

#6 Post by southpaw »

More starting pitching for sure.
You are going to have to take guys like Bruce Chen and Jake Arrieta. Not sexy but you need starters.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

agree 100% -- it is now an arms race for you

maybe mix in 1C, 1 MI and 1 OF, but you need to get a lot more SP

I am as risk averse as anyone, probably too much, but there also comes a time to speculate on "What if he gets at bats" and not focus on projected playing time.