Keeper Help AL ONLY - $4 Avila or $8 A Gordon

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
whammer
Major League Regular

Keeper Help AL ONLY - $4 Avila or $8 A Gordon

#1 Post by whammer »

I can keep omly one- who would you keep for next 2 years at those prices.

Thanks

Shyguy30

Re: Keeper Help AL ONLY - $4 Avila or $8 A Gordon

#2 Post by Shyguy30 »

For me it would have to be Gordon. He was the higher ranked prospect and is more likely to carry a higher AVG and chip in a few steals. Plus catchers don't usually play everyday and there are already reports that the Tigers are planning to rest Avila more this year. I think there is less downside with Gordon.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

All other factors being even close to equal * look at the profit generated by your freeze players

Gordon, keep for $8, projected to earn $22 = $14 profit
Avila, kept for $4, projected to earn $15 = $11 profit

*But if you release Avila don't you have to battle for a productive catcher?
I would rather have the catcher in hand - I can find lots of outfielders for my roster - much tougher with catchers, especially if you have to play two

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

To piggyback on what Perry says....

Look at it as two roster spots.

Keeping Avila you are +11 plus whatever profit you get with the second, in this case, outfield spot.

Keeping Gordon you are +14 plus whatever profit you get from the second, in this case catcher spot.

Like Perry, I am more inclined to lock up the catcher, more confident I can generate more than $3 worth of profit by drafting an outfielder.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would also consider a few things that have occurred in the Tiger organization. Avila caught a lot of games last year - signing Laird will be beneficial to him IMHO and be one of those few cases where addition by subtraction is a helpful thing. With VMart gone for the year, he may also catch some DH ABs. Speculative? Yes. But Gordon is already in a set role. You know what his role will be. Avila brings some interesting possibilities to the table.

Edit: what a difference a few hours make - I would NOW say Avila this year - but too many things have to shake out to make a call on 2013.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams