My 2nd NFBC slow draft (50 rounds / No FAAB)

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: My 2nd NFBC slow draft (50 rounds / No FAAB)

#11 Post by SteveB »

Todd Zola wrote:FWIW, there is talk on the NFBC forums that the queue is not stable, for some reason, it us getting mixed up if you sign off.

As soon as you find out, you can e-mail them and tell them it screwed up and pick another player not yet drafted. Everyone else gets a crack at the guy you did not want, but cannot replace the player they picked with someone other than that guy, they are stuck with the player they picked if they don't want yours.

i got burned by this in the slow league from hell (we are going to take 5 weeks to finish whereas it usually takes 2-3 weeks, closer to 2.

The guy that takes all the time had the clock expire overnight and then in the morning, asked for a switch. I legitimately picked Ronny Paulino, mainly because I set it on autopick and wanted enough catchers to cover me, but since you can't set it per round, on my comeback pick, I got Paulino. So when they were dong the fix, I asked for Moseley instead of Paulino but was denied. So the guy that has taken almost 8 hours each time gets a repick after running out his 8 hour clock, and they guy that has been setting it on auto for 2 picks at a time is stuck with Paulino.

Whether the rest of the guys did it as a favor or not (it would not surprise me, the other 13 are a kick ass group of guys), I got Moseley next pick.

I suppose the one good thing is guess which owner has both V-mart and Carmona? Karma is an effin' bitch :mrgreen:

interesting thanks Todd...by the time i realized we were past a few picks. I guess i could have gotten Schafer by changing it figured just chalk it up to lesson learned and not use auto anymore. Plus i make a big stink..Soria gets traded they start broxton at cl and he gets 33 saves....how big of a dumbass do i become?

I am fairly fast anyways and the 20mins i was gone would have saved me the trouble of this.

As my wife says..." I just like to bitch"

southpaw

#12 Post by southpaw »

Well, the situation sucks, that's for sure. But I would have understood if you wanted to stop it right then and backtrack the picks. I'm sure there won't be a next time though since auto will not be in use any more. But I would understand if something freaky happens. Shoot, it happened to me earlier in the draft when some guy I've never heard of got picked instead of the guy I clicked on. Very glitchy software.
And no need for that Cerrano talk. I'm going to have to send you a live chicken.

Here's the updated roster through round 29:

C Ramos (Flores)
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman (LaRoche, J Guzman)
2B N Walker (Andino)
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter

southpaw

#13 Post by southpaw »

Through round 35:

C Ramos (Flores)
C Pierzynski (AJ Ellis)
2B N Walker (Andino)
SS Aybar
3B Bautista (Arenado)
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay (N Aoki)

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang, Wolf)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter (D Hernandez, Perkins)

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

Looks very good - obviously you will draft more arms and outfielders from here

southpaw

#15 Post by southpaw »

Just finished this thing up.
Here is the final roster:

C Ramos (Flores, Marson)
C Pierzynski (AJ Ellis)
2B N Walker (M Downs, Getz)
SS Aybar (Andino)
3B Bautista (Arenado, Descalso)
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton (Hafner)
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay (N Aoki, Nix, T Buck, R Johnson)

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang, Wolf, C Richard, C Morton, Surkamp, R Wells, Westbrook, Furbush)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter (D Hernandez, Perkins, Rauch)

I like this team. I really do. Much better effort than the 1st slow draft I did.
Sure there are some weaknesses but there's always going to be some when you draft NFBC 15 teamers.
I'm light on saves with Cordero signing with the Jays. Crossing my fingers for Carpenter. I have 3 guys on standby who are an injury away from save opps.
Also seem to be light on speed. Can Pennington get back to what he did a couple years ago?
Not liking my OF depth as I waited too long to address it. With Braun out 50, I sure hope Aoki gets the bulk of the playing time. Also, Guzman getting OF eligibility would be a big help.
Wigginton is OF eligible so I might have to use him there and Hafner at UT (or LaRoche/Guzman). I can also move Bautista to OF and Zimm to 3B so I have options.

Overall, I feel confident this team can contend. If I can hang close while Braun is out, then I'll be happy.

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

Yes I think that looks very good - as you said there are concerns but you would have to be drafting at the Braille institute to avoid that.

I have nine rounds to go and then I will add mine

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#17 Post by SteveB »

nicely done ..you drafted a nice team. Gonna be fun competing against each other. We should do a side bet just us two, something like a ballcap or something?
There is a couple of teams in there i thought looked pretty nice as well so should be a competitive league.

Good luck ..I am really pulling for you to take second ;)

(is it too early for smack talk?)

southpaw

#18 Post by southpaw »

SteveB wrote:nicely done ..you drafted a nice team. Gonna be fun competing against each other. We should do a side bet just us two, something like a ballcap or something?
There is a couple of teams in there i thought looked pretty nice as well so should be a competitive league.

Good luck ..I am really pulling for you to take second ;)

(is it too early for smack talk?)

We can put a little wager on it, sure. You are on for a ballcap. I'll check my hat size for a Yankees one.