My 2nd NFBC slow draft (50 rounds / No FAAB)

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
southpaw

My 2nd NFBC slow draft (50 rounds / No FAAB)

#1 Post by southpaw »

First drafted team can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3374&start=10

First 20 rounds of 2nd team is in the books. Here is what I have so far:

C Ramos
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman
2B N Walker
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI
CI Zimmerman
U
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer

RP Soria
RP Cordero

I'm liking this team better than the first one thus far, especially the early rounds where I was able to nab Braun in the 4th round and Price in the 5th. Bautista's position flexibility will enable me to use him in place of Braun until he comes back. On the downside, I waited too long for my C2 and took best available in round 20 - Pierzynski. Yuck.

Thoughts so far?

johnnycuff

Re: My 2nd NFBC slow draft (50 rounds / No FAAB)

#2 Post by johnnycuff »

i wouldn't be too worried about your catching situation as long as you can get a backup with playing time since pierzynski is a tad injury prone. starting pitching looks stellar (price and bumgarner look like steals) but you're in trouble with saves for now. if i were you i'd start picking up more closers in waiting in the near future.

do you mind posting the order of your picks? i'd be interested to see where they were taken.

southpaw

#3 Post by southpaw »

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I look to be light on saves but that's usually the case with me in these things. I tend to not overpay for them, especially before ST even starts. Just so many unknown factors. However, I do intend to grab a couple closer in waitings or potential closers coming out of ST in the near future.

Here is the order:

1. Bautista
2. McCutchen
3. Zimmerman
4. Braun
5. Price
6. Bumgarner
7. A. Jones
8. Freeman
9. Aybar
10. J. Zimmermann
11. Soria
12. N Walker
13. Kuroda
14. Ramos
15. Cordero
16. Boesch
17. Chacin
18. Bay
19. Stauffer
20. Pierzynski

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote:First drafted team can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3374&start=10

C Ramos
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman
2B N Walker
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI
CI Zimmerman
U
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer

RP Soria
RP Cordero

I'm liking this team better than the first one thus far, especially the early rounds where I was able to nab Braun in the 4th round and Price in the 5th. Bautista's position flexibility will enable me to use him in place of Braun until he comes back. On the downside, I waited too long for my C2 and took best available in round 20 - Pierzynski. Yuck.

Thoughts so far?
Looks good so far and AJ contributes (I might add Flowers later) and as previous poster said you are going to add more anyway.

I understand not chasing saves but remember in this context you can't fish for them either.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

southpaw wrote:First drafted team can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3374&start=10

C Ramos
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman
2B N Walker
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI
CI Zimmerman
U
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer

RP Soria
RP Cordero

Thoughts so far?

I like your team as well. I realized you were in the same league as me in about the 6 round and i was like " I recognize that handle" . I have posted my team so far on here as well but stopped thinking outloud when i realized you were playing. You only pinched one of my daft picks ;) since we draft back to back thats bound to happen a few times anyways. P was really weird in this draft much different than the two league and 2 mocks i have done. Seemed to drop way farther than i expected. So yeah i like your P staff and i actually like mine quite a bit as well. 4-5 more off my list and i think it will fill in very nicely.

The only spot i dont like of yours right now is 2b but i am not a Walker believer. You did get him at a decent spot in the draft though about a round or two later than he has been going in ADP. The C situation i think just caught you off guard...The VMart news hit right as i drafted my second C and then 5 of the next 8 picks were C. Coming in as late as you did AJ is a nice pick. I was actually considering him in a pick or two if he was still there.

Been a fun draft good luck ...hope you take second place this year :D

southpaw

#6 Post by southpaw »

SteveB wrote:

C Ramos
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman
2B N Walker
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI
CI Zimmerman
U
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer

RP Soria
RP Cordero

Thoughts so far?

I like your team as well. I realized you were in the same league as me in about the 6 round and i was like " I recognize that handle" . I have posted my team so far on here as well but stopped thinking outloud when i realized you were playing. You only pinched one of my daft picks ;) since we draft back to back thats bound to happen a few times anyways. P was really weird in this draft much different than the two league and 2 mocks i have done. Seemed to drop way farther than i expected. So yeah i like your P staff and i actually like mine quite a bit as well. 4-5 more off my list and i think it will fill in very nicely.

The only spot i dont like of yours right now is 2b but i am not a Walker believer. You did get him at a decent spot in the draft though about a round or two later than he has been going in ADP. The C situation i think just caught you off guard...The VMart news hit right as i drafted my second C and then 5 of the next 8 picks were C. Coming in as late as you did AJ is a nice pick. I was actually considering him in a pick or two if he was still there.

Been a fun draft good luck ...hope you take second place this year :D
You are spot on about the catcher situation. I certainly didn't expect to be left with AJ once that catcher run hit. But oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.
I do like your squad as well. I'm a big Chisenhall fan so getting him in round 19 could turn out to be a steal. I like your staff and you have 2 solid closers.
Plus, getting Miggy at 7 had to make you giggle.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

well south you got a freebie there..I had Harang and two other guys in my auto draft and got stuck with Broxton. Not sure what the hell happened there.

southpaw

#8 Post by southpaw »

SteveB wrote:well south you got a freebie there..I had Harang and two other guys in my auto draft and got stuck with Broxton. Not sure what the hell happened there.

You meant to draft Harang instead of Broxton there?
I'm sure you liked Harang's value in round 28 like I did. Good streamer candidate for those weeks when he's at home or at Petco or something like that.
I had Broxton in my queue since I have Soria so in a way, you took one of my guys, if it makes you feel any better. :)

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by SteveB »

southpaw wrote:
SteveB wrote:well south you got a freebie there..I had Harang and two other guys in my auto draft and got stuck with Broxton. Not sure what the hell happened there.

You meant to draft Harang instead of Broxton there?
I'm sure you liked Harang's value in round 28 like I did. Good streamer candidate for those weeks when he's at home or at Petco or something like that.
I had Broxton in my queue since I have Soria so in a way, you took one of my guys, if it makes you feel any better. :)
LOL yeah i had Harang, Schafer, J Guzman , Jerome Williams my first 4 in order on my auto pick. For some reason the comp took Broxton and by the time i came back on we were 3-4 picks past. I dont mind Broxton per se but think i would have had 2 of my top four rated versus 1 of my top for ( i just got Williams) because you sniped me on the way back as well : ) That was a rough pick series for me...i think likely I coul dhave gotten 2 of the four and still gotten Broxton 3 or 4 rounds later on. Oh well complaining over..nice picks on your part looks like we had similar top of our ques. I have to give Cerrano a call time to get
Jo-Bu to take care of Soria for me.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, there is talk on the NFBC forums that the queue is not stable, for some reason, it us getting mixed up if you sign off.

As soon as you find out, you can e-mail them and tell them it screwed up and pick another player not yet drafted. Everyone else gets a crack at the guy you did not want, but cannot replace the player they picked with someone other than that guy, they are stuck with the player they picked if they don't want yours.

i got burned by this in the slow league from hell (we are going to take 5 weeks to finish whereas it usually takes 2-3 weeks, closer to 2.

The guy that takes all the time had the clock expire overnight and then in the morning, asked for a switch. I legitimately picked Ronny Paulino, mainly because I set it on autopick and wanted enough catchers to cover me, but since you can't set it per round, on my comeback pick, I got Paulino. So when they were dong the fix, I asked for Moseley instead of Paulino but was denied. So the guy that has taken almost 8 hours each time gets a repick after running out his 8 hour clock, and they guy that has been setting it on auto for 2 picks at a time is stuck with Paulino.

Whether the rest of the guys did it as a favor or not (it would not surprise me, the other 13 are a kick ass group of guys), I got Moseley next pick.

I suppose the one good thing is guess which owner has both V-mart and Carmona? Karma is an effin' bitch :mrgreen:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#11 Post by SteveB »

Todd Zola wrote:FWIW, there is talk on the NFBC forums that the queue is not stable, for some reason, it us getting mixed up if you sign off.

As soon as you find out, you can e-mail them and tell them it screwed up and pick another player not yet drafted. Everyone else gets a crack at the guy you did not want, but cannot replace the player they picked with someone other than that guy, they are stuck with the player they picked if they don't want yours.

i got burned by this in the slow league from hell (we are going to take 5 weeks to finish whereas it usually takes 2-3 weeks, closer to 2.

The guy that takes all the time had the clock expire overnight and then in the morning, asked for a switch. I legitimately picked Ronny Paulino, mainly because I set it on autopick and wanted enough catchers to cover me, but since you can't set it per round, on my comeback pick, I got Paulino. So when they were dong the fix, I asked for Moseley instead of Paulino but was denied. So the guy that has taken almost 8 hours each time gets a repick after running out his 8 hour clock, and they guy that has been setting it on auto for 2 picks at a time is stuck with Paulino.

Whether the rest of the guys did it as a favor or not (it would not surprise me, the other 13 are a kick ass group of guys), I got Moseley next pick.

I suppose the one good thing is guess which owner has both V-mart and Carmona? Karma is an effin' bitch :mrgreen:

interesting thanks Todd...by the time i realized we were past a few picks. I guess i could have gotten Schafer by changing it figured just chalk it up to lesson learned and not use auto anymore. Plus i make a big stink..Soria gets traded they start broxton at cl and he gets 33 saves....how big of a dumbass do i become?

I am fairly fast anyways and the 20mins i was gone would have saved me the trouble of this.

As my wife says..." I just like to bitch"

southpaw

#12 Post by southpaw »

Well, the situation sucks, that's for sure. But I would have understood if you wanted to stop it right then and backtrack the picks. I'm sure there won't be a next time though since auto will not be in use any more. But I would understand if something freaky happens. Shoot, it happened to me earlier in the draft when some guy I've never heard of got picked instead of the guy I clicked on. Very glitchy software.
And no need for that Cerrano talk. I'm going to have to send you a live chicken.

Here's the updated roster through round 29:

C Ramos (Flores)
C Pierzynski
1B Freeman (LaRoche, J Guzman)
2B N Walker (Andino)
SS Aybar
3B Bautista
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter

southpaw

#13 Post by southpaw »

Through round 35:

C Ramos (Flores)
C Pierzynski (AJ Ellis)
2B N Walker (Andino)
SS Aybar
3B Bautista (Arenado)
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay (N Aoki)

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang, Wolf)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter (D Hernandez, Perkins)

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

Looks very good - obviously you will draft more arms and outfielders from here

southpaw

#15 Post by southpaw »

Just finished this thing up.
Here is the final roster:

C Ramos (Flores, Marson)
C Pierzynski (AJ Ellis)
2B N Walker (M Downs, Getz)
SS Aybar (Andino)
3B Bautista (Arenado, Descalso)
MI Pennington
CI Zimmerman
U Wigginton (Hafner)
OF McCutchen
OF Braun
OF A Jones
OF B Boesch
OF J Bay (N Aoki, Nix, T Buck, R Johnson)

SP Price
SP Bumgarner
SP Zimmermann
SP Kuroda
SP Chacin
SP Stauffer (J Sanchez, Harang, Wolf, C Richard, C Morton, Surkamp, R Wells, Westbrook, Furbush)

RP Soria
RP Cordero
RP Carpenter (D Hernandez, Perkins, Rauch)

I like this team. I really do. Much better effort than the 1st slow draft I did.
Sure there are some weaknesses but there's always going to be some when you draft NFBC 15 teamers.
I'm light on saves with Cordero signing with the Jays. Crossing my fingers for Carpenter. I have 3 guys on standby who are an injury away from save opps.
Also seem to be light on speed. Can Pennington get back to what he did a couple years ago?
Not liking my OF depth as I waited too long to address it. With Braun out 50, I sure hope Aoki gets the bulk of the playing time. Also, Guzman getting OF eligibility would be a big help.
Wigginton is OF eligible so I might have to use him there and Hafner at UT (or LaRoche/Guzman). I can also move Bautista to OF and Zimm to 3B so I have options.

Overall, I feel confident this team can contend. If I can hang close while Braun is out, then I'll be happy.

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

Yes I think that looks very good - as you said there are concerns but you would have to be drafting at the Braille institute to avoid that.

I have nine rounds to go and then I will add mine

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#17 Post by SteveB »

nicely done ..you drafted a nice team. Gonna be fun competing against each other. We should do a side bet just us two, something like a ballcap or something?
There is a couple of teams in there i thought looked pretty nice as well so should be a competitive league.

Good luck ..I am really pulling for you to take second ;)

(is it too early for smack talk?)

southpaw

#18 Post by southpaw »

SteveB wrote:nicely done ..you drafted a nice team. Gonna be fun competing against each other. We should do a side bet just us two, something like a ballcap or something?
There is a couple of teams in there i thought looked pretty nice as well so should be a competitive league.

Good luck ..I am really pulling for you to take second ;)

(is it too early for smack talk?)

We can put a little wager on it, sure. You are on for a ballcap. I'll check my hat size for a Yankees one.