Taking Catchers early? (TODD)

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
daweasle
Major League Veteran

Taking Catchers early? (TODD)

#1 Post by daweasle »

So Todd, I was checking out the FSTA Experts draft and I see that you and Lawr took two catchers relatively early by grabbing Napoli in the third and Montero in the 7th.

I have really been considering this strategy for my upcoming snake draft, thinking of this type of line of thinking:

Most folks consider catchers as an after thought - like if I happen to get two average guys who can hit 250 and don't hurt my stats, then I will be just fine. But my train of thought is - I don't want to be just fine. Just fine is a direct path straight to 6th place. I want to be the winner.

And I think if I got Napoli/Wieters or McCann/Posey, then I would have the best pair of catchers in the league.

Now I would give up two good early round picks to make this happen. BUT - that means I would have to take chances elsewhere, but every draft is about making good choices late in the draft, something I consider myself good at.

Let me know what you think of this crazy idea.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Taking Catchers early? (TODD)

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I have been taking a catcher early in 15 team drafts, especially if it is Santana or Napoli because I think the injury risk is mitigated (sorry, V-Mart owners) and catchers get a pretty big value bump this season so I am able to get them "at value", with the caveat that value is really just potential until October.

There are enough catchers I like late (Lucroy, AJP, Ruiz) that are the "don't hurt you" type that I am OK taking one as my second C in a 15 team league.

That said, in a shallower league, like the 13 team FSTA, or even in a 15 team league, I like the idea of a better second catcher, primarily because once you get to the point where you are taking that second catcher, the rest of the field is so condensed in potential value, and everyone likes someone different, that you may end up with the same rest of your team you would have anyway, had you not taken the catcher.

Now, with THAT said, where Wieters and Posey are going in my drafts, I may not take them. But in that FSTA draft, Lawr and I could not pass up Montero where he was. We did not plan on doing then going on, but it was a unanimous 2-0 vote to take him at that pick.

Another guy to throw into that mix is Alex Avila. I think we are 60 PA light on our current projection.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TheRunner77

#3 Post by TheRunner77 »

Todd, so your contention is that Avila scoops up most of those VMart ABs?

What about Boesch and D Young -- seems like they might benefit together with Avila. Raburn, I'm not sold that he's a full time player.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I think we were light on Avila regardless.

The guy that intrigues me now out of the Tigers mix is Andy Dirks, I think he could see some extra AB with Delmon at DH.

i already had Boesch and Young with near full time AB. I may have bumped Boesch up a little, I just reviewed the Tigers' playing time last night -- the update is due out on Tuesday.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

josh

#5 Post by josh »

I agree, as long as youre not paying through the nose, having 2 good catchers, is a nice advantage. I had Avila and Vmart last year and it gave me 10 more HR, 40-50 runs and rbi than a typical team.