Ranking Players

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
andrew_schug
Double-A

Ranking Players

#1 Post by andrew_schug »

How many players should I have ranked in my 12 team mixed league with a 23man roster? (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UTIL,UTIL,9P,4Bench)

I fear I have too many players at each position ranked

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Ranking Players

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Confused as to the context of the question. You can't have too many, but you can have too few.

I guess the rudimentary answer is 120 hitters, 108 pitchers then enough of both to fill reserves.

However, the problem is ranks shouldn't be so stringent. They should be fluid, based on roster construct.

Maybe I'm missing the reason for the question, but the more players you evaluate, the better the ability to build a strong roster.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

andrew_schug
Double-A

#3 Post by andrew_schug »

No, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I'm looking for. How many players per position would you suggest? I went really deep. 241 hitters and 248 pitchers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Again, there's no number - especially with so many utilities. You don't know how everyone will fill them. Go pretty deep. It's a very shallow league, not like you'll be deciding where to rank Joey Wendle and Ty Kelly.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord