DC Express: Something different

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

DC Express: Something different

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

I decided to take something I've been doing to the extreme -- fading OF and CL. I'm OK with the execution, not sure if the overall plan will work.

1. Altuve, Jose
2. Donaldson, Josh
3. Severino, Luis
4. Encarnacion, Edwin
5. Rendon, Anthony
6. Arrieta, Jake
7. Shaw, Travis
8. Gattis, Evan
9. Gregorius, Didi
10. Gray, Sonny
11. LeMahieu, DJ
12. Anderson, Chase
13. Taillon, Jameson
14. Dickerson, Corey
15. Trumbo, Mark
16. Soria, Joakim
17. Claudio, Alex
18. Piscotty, Stephen
19. Bradley Jr., Jackie
20. Robertson, David
21. Renfroe, Hunter
22. Ziegler, Brad
23. Steckenrider, Drew
24. Barnhart, Tucker
25. Camargo, Johan
26. Smith, Mallex
27. Moreland, Mitch
28. Skaggs, Tyler
29. Markakis, Nick
30. Biagini, Joe
31. Nicasio, Juan
32. Joseph, Caleb
33. Martin, Leonys
34. Goody, Nick
35. Perdomo, Luis
36. Jimenez, Joe
37. Dickey, R.A.
38. Stratton, Chris
39. Wright, Steven
40. Severino, Pedro
41. Grossman, Robbie
42. Peters, Dillon
43. Cooper, Garrett
44. Rojas, Miguel
45. Stassi, Max
46. Cessa, Luis
47. Brault, Steven
48. Smith, Seth
49. Blach, Ty
50. Parker, Jarrett

C: Gattis, Joseph, Stassi
C: Barnhart, Severino
1B: Encarnacion, Moreland, Cooper
3B: Donaldson
CI: Rendon
2B: Altuve
SS: Gregorius, Camargo, Rojas
MI: LeMahieu
OF: Dickerson, MSmith
OF: Trumbo, Markakis
OF: Piscotty, L Martin
OF: Bradley Jr., Grossman
OF: Renfroe, S Smith
U: Shaw, Parker
SP: Severino, Perdomo, Blach
SP: Arrieta, Dickey
SP: S Gray, Stratton
SP: C Anderson, Wright
SP: Taillon, Peters
SP: Skaggs, Cessa
SP: Biagini, Brault
RP: Claudio, Robertson, Nicasio, Goody
RP: Soria, Ziegler, Steckenrider, Jimenez

I messed up a couple times, 100% on me, I've used the room enough to know better. You can click a star next to the name to put him in your queue, you click his name to put him in the "Draft Player" spot. The default draft player spot is the highest ranked player in the overall list, unless you specifically put someone there. I have Nelson Cruz as my 3.01 pick queued, but didn't put him in draft player. I hit draft player and got Luis Severino. If I took Cruz, I would have been left with Paxton and Quintana for sure, and maybe Nola or Archer, since they were taken right before my pick and if I didn't take Severino, one may have made it. The plan was to double tap SP at 4/5. I'm OK with Severino, except I had Carrasco, deGrom and Verlander ranked higher (they went three of the next five picks in R3). The other mess-up was doing the same consecutively with Grossman and Peters. I wanted Peters, but didn't want Grossman. Oh well.

Filling in UT with Shaw wasn't part of the plan, but he was ranked highest and I figured if I was willing to draft Cruz and block UT, why not just grab Shaw.

Closing is very sketchy since I didn't get any of Bradley, Parker and Morrow, three guys nice in this strategy. Now I have to hope Robertson is dealt into a closer role so the Yankees can clear salary.

Not thrilled with Arrieta as SP2, which is why I filled in SP3-SP5 a little quicker, but that's fine when pushing OF and RP down the board.

It was only one draft, but my gut says if you get the #1 pick in the NFBC, and want any sort of high end pitching, double tap it at 2/3 then focus on hitting for a few picks, then take what the draft gives. I suspect I may be regretting my only chance to do that. Starting Altuve, Carrasco then one from Severino/deGrom/Verlander would have been sweet.

To preempt the question, Altuve has outearned Trout in 4 of the past 5 season, and in the fifth they tied.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mkieffer
Major Leaguer

Re: DC Express: Something different

#2 Post by mkieffer »

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think going Carrasco/deGroom would have been sweet as well for SPs. I think I am kind of liking #1-2 or #14-15 more this year than in the past in order to target some of the pitching I like. That said, I know Severino was a mistake but people are high on him. I am not especially high on him, which makes me wonder....