Todd's DC Express team

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Todd's DC Express team

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

15 teams, 50 rounds, one night, no waiting

12th pick

C-- J.T. Realmuto (8), Jett Bandy (21), Chris Herrmann (24), Carlos Perez (43)
1B-- Anthony Rizzo (1), Miguel Cabrera (2)
2B-- Devon Travis (12), Matt Carpenter (5), Jed Lowrie (30)
3B-- Kyle Seager (6), Chase Headley (29), Cheslor Cuthbert (36), Matt Dominguez (50)
SS-- Brandon Crawford (15), Eduardo Escobar (31), Jimmy Rollins (49)
OF-- Billy Hamilton (3), Stephen Piscotty (10), Brett Gardner (18), Eddie Rosario (22), Seth Smith (25), Alex Gordon (26), Steve Pearce (27), Matt Joyce (33), Mikie Mahtook (39), Dalton Pompey (40), Brandon Guyer (45), Chris Young (47)
SP-- Justin Verlander (4), Julio Teheran (7), Jerad Eickhoff (13), Drew Smyly (16), Matt Shoemaker (17), Zach Davies (19), Mike Foltynewicz (20), Andrew Triggs (23), Nathan Karns (28), Yovani Gallardo (32), Ubaldo Jimenez (37), Tyler Duffey (38), Bryan Mitchell (41)
RP-- A.J. Ramos (9), Jim Johnson (11), Shawn Kelley (14), David Phelps (34), Jacob Barnes (35), Grant Dayton (42), Zack Burdi (44), Erasmo Ramirez (48), Nick Vincent (46)

Love the starting hitting, reserves feel light.
OK with starting pitching except one or too fewer than desired
Closers FLEW. Opted to push and push, hoping to get lucky. I got two of the guys I wanted by doing this in Johnson and Kelly. Have spec picks in Barnes and Burdi. Feels too heavy on other MR.
Felt the soft spot in the draft was OF and humbly feel I really exploited that. Didn't grab OF5 and UT until picks 25 and 26. Also grabbed three guys that could be starter worthy (though in a platoon, but that's OK for OF5/UT).
Pushed catcher but hopefully won't need much from C2 to support what I hope is solid offense.

FIRE AWAY!
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

dietrichdingers

Re: Todd's DC Express team

#2 Post by dietrichdingers »

I feel you ended up with a strong staff, even with waiting until the 4th to take a pitcher. Verlander is a steal, and I like Eickhoff and Smyly a lot at those rounds. Triggs is a great grab at 23, as well.

I'll always be a fan of Miguel Cabrera in the 2nd round, his hitting skills are so off-the-charts that I'll probably still take him in the 2nd round when he's 38. And between Smith, Gordon, and Pierce I think you have at least 2 guys who will vastly out-perform their draft round at that stage.

As for picks I'm not a fan of... I don't think Realmuto has the upside to take in the 8th round, especially if he's batting 7th in the order. I'm also not a fan of Devon Travis in the 12th (or much at all). I think we've already seen the best we will see of him in 2016. He doesn't hit the ball hard, and has bad plate discipline so his AVG is going to drop significantly. I'd rather have Forsythe or Walker, even though they're going rounds later.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

For some reason, I have it in my head Travis runs -- which he doesn't. I still like him -- a lot -- but pushed him up for bags, which is a mistake.

w/r/t Realmuto, it's more of a format thing for me. I'm not worried about upside and batting order, I'm paying for durability and volume as Realmuto plays a ton of games. I don't want to give up both C spots in this format. In a different format, I likely would have gone a different position, or perhaps closer.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

dietrichdingers

#4 Post by dietrichdingers »

I can't really argue with that logic on the Realmuto pick. He's got a pretty high floor, and if he actually gets days in at 1B on his days off of catching, that gives him some extra counting stat value.

Travis is a guy I basically won't be touching at all. He has no power upside, no SB upside, and his batting average is doomed to fall because his skills don't support better than .280 at best. I'm also worried about his extensive injury history which has plagued his entire pro career. I'm in a 12-team AL Only auction and my price for Travis maxes out at $8.