FYI - an NL oddity

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

FYI - an NL oddity

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Our auctions (NL and Al onlys) come up this weekend. When doing my research, I noticed something that I had to take a more detailed look at and I had a hard time swallowing. What do the following players have in common; Eric Stults, Travis Wood, Tyler Matzek, Brett Anderson and Jeff Locke?

They are 5 pitchers, to be sure ....and they currently have starting jobs. But they are 5 of only 13 NL starters who are left handed! So out of 75 rotation spots in the NL, there are maybe 8 or 9 quality left handed starters. Arizona, Miami, Cincy, St. Louis, Milwaukee, San Diego - not a single left handed starter in their rotations. So a lefty bat in say, the Dodger lineup, sees Bumgartner, Tyler Matzek and that's it. Just sayin'.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Re: FYI - an NL oddity

#2 Post by CubFan »

kid....seems like something one could more exploit in a daily transaction league vs weekly. In a weekly tranny league if you had a bench and swapped out players to take advantage of a lefty SP it'd only be good for that one game, then what about the other 5 or 6 games which had righty SP. Best left to daily leagues. Also seems more suitable for real-life MLB managers to exploit. Interesting nonetheless.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: FYI - an NL oddity

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I disagree ...in the case of the Dodgers, those left handed bats (like Agon)? They'll play almost half their season (76 games) against the 4 teams in their division. And that's only their division. No, there's more than just a daily transaction anomaly here. And of course, that assumes one is swapping out players on a weekly basis. I'd be checking lineups such as the Dodgers and the Pirates to see how they did against righties the last few years.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams