NFBC DC Express

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Captain Hook

Re: NFBC DC Express

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

At First Pitch AZ which is held (generally) on the first weekend in November during the Arizona Fall League (on the weekend of the Fall Stars Game), there are several drafts for attendees to participate in if they choose. I always draft a team in the NFBC leagues they have there as I enjoy drafting early and the draft & hold format - well that and first place is a free conference registration the following year.

So remember this was first weekend of November 2014 that we did the first twenty three rounds.
From the 1.03 spot my picks were:
1.03 - Giancarlo Stanton
2.13 - Freddie Freeman
3.03 - Adam Wainwright
4.13 - Yu Darvish
5.03 - Jason Kipnis
6.13 - George Springer
7.03 - Starling Marte
8.13 - Koji Uehara
9.03 - Kole Calhoun
10.13 - Gio Gonzalez
11.03 - Xander Bogaerts
12.13 - Jenry Mejia
13.03 - Andrelton Simmons
14.13 - Dioner Navarro
15.03 - Jose Fernandez
16.13 - Wellington Castillo
17.03 - Rick Porcello
18.13 - Carlos Ruiz
19.03 - Arismendy Alcantara
20.13 - Mike Minor
21.03 - Chase Headley
22.13 - LaTroy Hawkins
23.03 - Seth Smith

Obviously a lot of things changed with the winter meetings - I had left the draft with three starting catchers but when the draft resumed online on January 6, I had just one. Headley got a job and Smithh lost one. Still I thought my start was terrific so now to round out the team.

Here is the final team by position:

C - Navarro, Castillo, Ruiz, Mike McKenry, Rene Rivera, Caleb Joseph

1B - Freeman and Justin Smoak

3B - Bogaerts (also SS), Headley, and Conor Gillaspie

2B - Kipnis, Alcantara (also OF), Jose Peraza, Logan Forsythe, Steve Tolleson

SS - Simmons and Eugenio Saurez

OF - Stanton, Springer, Marte, Calhoun, Smith, Kevin Kiermaier, Brandon Barnes, Kevin Frandsen

SP - Wainwright, Darvish, Minor, Porcello, Gonzalez, Fernandez, David Hale, Sean Nolin, Vance Worley, Charlie Morton, Alex Colome, Matt Harrison Brandon Morrow, Ross Detwiler, Corey Luebke

RP - Uehara, Mejia, Hawkins, Bruce Rondon, Domonic Leone, Tom Wilhelmsen, Kelvin Herrera + Matt Belisle

There are several pitchers who probably won't appear until later in the year - hopefully they are active in time as there is always a lot of attrition on pitching staffs during the season (hopefully not as bad as last year). I think Fernandez will be back in June and obviously he is a huge key for this team.

Yes, six catchers may be excessive but remember I lost two starters. Besides you should see what other teams are rolling with :D

southpaw

#12 Post by southpaw »

southpaw wrote:Interestingly, I just drafted Reddick at 20.3 in my slow DC.

My roster thus far:

C: D'Arnaud (12)
1B: C Santana (6), B Butler (17)
2B: Rendon (1)
SS: A Cabrera (16)
3B: Frazier (3), Wright (7)
OF: Cespedes (5), R Castillo (8), Rios (11), K Davis (13), Reddick (20)

SP: Felix (2), Ryu (9), Tanaka (10), Wacha (14), Petit (18)
RP: Jansen (4), A Miller (15), W Davis (19)

I like the flexibility - Santana and Frazier both have 1b & 3b, Rendon 2b & 3b and Asdrubal SS & 2b. Wright was unfortunately a timed out pick. I didn't expect my pick to come back to me overnight and didn't have anyone queued up so it auto selected highest ranked player which was Wright at the time. So he'll be my CI initially. Closer, as usual, went very fast. I wasn't about to spend an 11th round pick on Gregorson or K-Rod so I waited on Miller. I expect the Yankees to use Betances as main closer but I feel that Miller will get a handful (10-12?) of saves vs. LH 9th inning batters. Yanks have 2 other LH in bullpen for a reason.
I'm probably going to be short on speed unless Castillo breaks off a 50SB season so I'll look to address that in the next 10 rounds with some cheap speed. Also a little short on power but not sure I can do something about that now. Will try to find potential somewhere....

Thoughts?
Rounds 21 - 32:

21: Jaso (C)
22: Parnell (P)
23: S Smith (OF)
24: Peraza (2B)
25: Rutledge (SS)
26: Cingrani (P)
27: Cervelli (C)
28: J Chavez (P)
29: C Young (OF)
30: B Cecil (P)
31: Buxton (OF)
32: Aviles (2B, 3B, OF)

Lots of flexibility and unless I get really unlucky, I should be able to maximize my ABs throughout the season. Picked a couple more closer candidates in Parnell and Cecil. Took a flyer on Buxton as I was all set to take R Elias with that pick and he was snagged right before me. Probably a wasted pick but I think there's a reasonable chance he's up in the summer if the Twins are in contention. Granted, I know chances are slim. But I thought I could afford the chance.
Looking now for some "6th starters" to add pitching depth. Definitely need at least one more catcher, probably two.

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote: I suppose there's a good chance Gregorson has the job but it's far from certain. .
Getting back to this because the Astros depth chart on their website (which MLB.com requires to be updated) is currently showing Chad Qualls as the closer with Gregerson next in line. Given that Gregerson has been a great set up reliever that may well hold UNLESS Qualls fails (he wasn't as bad last year as some think they remember)

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#14 Post by aburt19 »

The Astros might use Qualls as closer early in the season and if he's successful, trade him
to a contender to use as a setup man.

aburt19
Major League Elite

#15 Post by aburt19 »

Captain Hook wrote:
southpaw wrote: I suppose there's a good chance Gregorson has the job but it's far from certain. .
Getting back to this because the Astros depth chart on their website (which MLB.com requires to be updated) is currently showing Chad Qualls as the closer with Gregerson next in line. Given that Gregerson has been a great set up reliever that may well hold UNLESS Qualls fails (he wasn't as bad last year as some think they remember)[/quote

I went to the website and the depth chart says that MLB.com does the depth chart with no
approval from the Astros.

Captain Hook

#16 Post by Captain Hook »

aburt19 wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:
Getting back to this because the Astros depth chart on their website (which MLB.com requires to be updated) is currently showing Chad Qualls as the closer with Gregerson next in line. Given that Gregerson has been a great set up reliever that may well hold UNLESS Qualls fails (he wasn't as bad last year as some think they remember)[/quote

I went to the website and the depth chart says that MLB.com does the depth chart with no
approval from the Astros.
Good catch there and I think this is a recent tag so that MLB.com could keep updated off transactions and speed and yet tell people not to call the clubs with questions/comments.

I still think that they will try Qualls to start the year - Gregerson is an extremely strong setup pitcher with not much closing experience/success. IF Qualls holds the job then Neshek>Gregerson>Qualls is a very strong 7-8-9 lineup

aburt19
Major League Elite

#17 Post by aburt19 »

Good catch there and I think this is a recent tag so that MLB.com could keep updated off transactions and speed and yet tell people not to call the clubs with questions/comments.

I still think that they will try Qualls to start the year - Gregerson is an extremely strong setup pitcher with not much closing experience/success. IF Qualls holds the job then Neshek>Gregerson>Qualls is a very strong 7-8-9 lineup[/quote]

I agree that Qualls may have the job to start the season. If he is successful, Houston can
trade him to a contender as a set-up man for a prospect.

The Astros offense is looking better with adding Gattis and Valbuena. There may be more saves
for the Astros than what there were last year.