NFBC Draft Champions Draft

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

NFBC Draft Champions Draft

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

Merchants of Kaos are getting started early with their prep for the Diamond Auction by teaming up in an early NFBC DC league.

Site member Sam Botnick and I took down one of the two NFBC Ultimate Auctions (another subscriber, Dave Potts won the other). We decided to do a DC to get a jump start on seeing where we agree/disagree on this year's playing pool so we can better plan for the March auction.

Right away we learned something -- in a draft we'd both take Mike Trout #1. Here's the squad so far...

1.01 Mike Trout
2.15 Max Scherzer
3.01 Matt Kemp
4.15 Kyle Seager
5.01 Adrian Gonzalez
6.15 Alex Cobb
7.01 Kole Calhoun
8.15 Cody Allen
9.01 David Robertson
10.15 Leonys Martin
11.01 Andrew Cashner
12.15 Russell Martin
13.01 Ben Zobrist
14.15 Erick Aybar
15.01 Brett Lawrie
16.15 AJ Burnett
17.01 Billy Butler
18.15 Dalton Pompey
19.01 Jake Odrizzi
20.15 Josh Reddick
21.01 Brad Boxberger
22.15 Everth Cabrera
23.01 Yovani Gallardo
24.15 Jed Lowrie
25.01 Joe Smith
26.15 Marcus Semien
27.01 Justin Smoak
28.15 Kevin Graveman
29.01 Brandon Finnegan
30.15 Randal Grichuk
31.01 Hank Conger
32.15 Ike Davis
33.01 Shane Greene
34.15 Josh Phegley
35.01 Caleb Joseph
36.15 Mitch Moreland
37.01 Jordan Walden
38.15 Chris Heisey
39.01 Zach Duke
40.15 Nate Karns
41.01 Robbie Erlin
42.15 James McCann
43.01 Brandon Cumpton
44.15 D.J. Peterson
45.01 R.J. Alvarez
46.15 David Phelps
47.01 Kyle Lobstein
48.15 Sean Nolin
49.01 Travis Ishikawa
50.15 Taylor Jordan
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NFBC Draft Champions Draft

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Just took Kyle Seager and Adrian Gonzalez. We decided to push pitching a bit and really load up on some reliable bats.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Couple of site favorites -- Alex Cobb and Kole Calhoun.

Short on speed, saves and middle infielders but this foundation is SOLID!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Doubled up on saves at the turn with Cody Allen and David Robertson.

We're fading speed and middle infield but we should be OK -- plenty of both left.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Pushing MI and C even further down -- grabbed Leonys Martin for some speed and Andrew Cashner as a decent SP3 with some injury risk but SP2 upside. Even if healthy his innings may be tempered but he ended the season strong so we'll cross our fingers.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Time to address a couple of needs with Zobrist and Martin. Neither of us love Zobrist but he offers some flexibility which is nice in this format while the park factors really favor Martin's move.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

First time all draft we made two sets of picks in one day.

Aybar and Lawrie give us the middle (and Lawrie can go to corner as I have some spec picks for MI in mind)

We're pushing pitching way down but in this format, I don't mind at all. We can find streamers and solid set up guys.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Time to fill in the pieces -- we faded pitching (happens when you get 2 top closers) and snagged AJ Burnett as SP4. the move back to PNC has to help.

Then we though R17 was a good spot to see if OAK can get Billy Butler on track. We'll have a bunch more CI later so the cost is minimal.

by position

C Russell Martin
1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler
2B/SS Ben Zobrist, Erick Aybar, Brett Lawrie
OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Back to crawling again. This wait was especially painful as I really wanted Dalton Pompey and we got him. Then we went for an upside arm in a nice park with Jake Odorizzi.

C Russell Martin
OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin, Dalton Pompey
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson

We're a C, UT and 2 P away from having a legal 23 (though you don't have to do that with your first 23).

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

Added Reddick to OF/UT-- had a solid 2H and should play regularly and not platoon since his defense is Gold Glove caliber.

We were planning on a couple from Davis/Giles/Boxberger and since the first two went we needed to jump on Boxberger. Who knows, with new management he could close or be part of a time-share. At season's end that was the plan but those that made the plan are now planning elsewhere.

C Russell Martin
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

A potential starting shortstop in the 23rd when there are a few MLB team in need of one? I'll take that chance. Everth would look pretty nice on the Mets. Just sayin'....

Sam and I may be the only two guys left that still have a thing for Gallardo -- what can I (we) say?

Quackenbush went in this cycle -- sort of surprised that he, Davis and Giles all went in the first 23 (but I like it). We got Boxberger so we weren't shut out but we'll need to find a sleeper in this realm. We have a couple names in mind.

C Russell Martin
2B/SS Ben Zobrist, Erick Aybar, Brett Lawrie (Everth Cabrera)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry -- hot stove has me busy...

Jed Lowrie - MI depth, he'll get a gig somewhere
Joe Smith - wanted another solid MI guy and Street can't stay healthy 2 years in a row, can he?
Marcus Semien - this was a round before the deal so everyone had a crack, he was on our radar but we jumped him up after the deal
Justin Smoak - Adam Lind role? Nice park, we'll see.
Kevin Graveman - Starting in OAK, need streamers in this format
Brandon Finnegan - a lawr michaels favorite, could start but even in relief will help in this format

C Russell Martin
1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak)
2B/SS *Ben Zobrist, Erick Aybar, **Brett Lawrie (Everth Cabrera, **Marcus Semien, Jed Lowrie)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan)
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger, Joe Smith)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Hank Conger - our second catcher, we made the decision to just pick up a bunch reserve catchers that could get more playing time. Castro has underwhelmed so you never know

Randal Grichuk - I screwed up here, not realizing how the autopick would work. We wanted Mike Mckenry but he was picked before us. Since I only had 2 names in the queue I figured it would click the 8 hours before auto-picking the next name (actually stupid of me to think that) and we got Grichuk. It's not the worst pick but it cost us Jose Peraza who we were sitting on. I'm not crying over not sneaking Peraza in since we're OK with middle as well as speed, especially if Everth signs.

Ike Davis - starting 1B this late? Yes, please. Doesn't hurt that we have Bulter so chances are one will have a nice set of games in terms of handedness

Shane Greene - as of now he's in the Tiger rotation and even if they sign Scherzer and someone else, Greene will get his starts at some point

C Russell Martin, Hank Conger
1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak, Ike Davis)
2B/SS *Ben Zobrist, Erick Aybar, **Brett Lawrie (Everth Cabrera, **Marcus Semien, Jed Lowrie)
OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin, Dalton Pompey (Randal Grichuk)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan, Shane Greene)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Time for a dart throw at a couple of back-up catchers. Phegley should be the understudy for Norris as Jaso isn't likely to catch and Vogt isn't very good. Wieter's backup used to not see a whole lot of playing time but since he's coming back from TJS this year could be different. Joseph showed some pop in Wieter's stead. There's also a chance Wieters slides into DH at times.

C Russell Martin, Hank Conger (Josh Phegley, Caleb Joseph)
1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak, Ike Davis)
OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin, Dalton Pompey (Randal Grichuk)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan, Shane Greene)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

Mitch Moreland - can't complain a potential starter, at worst a LHB platoon in a great hitting park, assuming the ankle is OK and reports are positive

Jordan Walden - setup to the shaky (but I still like him) Trevor Rosenthal. My preference is to have a few more hitters than pitchers so in order to do that, I favor real solid set up men over my last couple of dart-throw starters that would do more harm than help if I needed them. Even if Walden doesn't happen upon 9th inning duty, he's a nice parachute for the pitching staff.

1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak, Ike Davis, ***Mitch Moreland)
UT Josh Reddick
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger, Joe Smith, Jordan Walden)

* also OF
** also 3B
*** hoping for OF eventually 8-)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

Nothing too exciting here -- grabbed more OF depth with Chris Heisey. I'm not convinced Joc Pederson can handle LHP so there will be times when Crawford and Pederson sit for Scott Van Slyke and Heisey. Maybe there will be a weekend series where the Dodgers face a couple of southpaws so we can use Heisey.

Duke is the Robertson handcuff. Since Bryan Shaw was taken after that pick, perhaps we should have taken Shaw to back-up our Cody Allen first since Shaw is more recognizable as the #2 than Duke -- lesson learned.

Sam and I decided so long as there's players we think we'll use over the course of the season that we'll take them and not go speculating on the farm --- we agreed we're at the point where some prospects might be in order.

1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak, Ike Davis, ***Mitch Moreland)
OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin, Dalton Pompey (Randal Grichuk, Chris Heisey)
UT Josh Reddick
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger, Joe Smith, Jordan Walden, Zach Duke)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Todd Zola »

One of my favorite ploys, especially when trying to conserve pitching spots is to take decent 6th and 7th SP from teams where you already have one of the first five especially in a good park...

Nate Karns -- hedge for Cobb and Odorizzi
Robbie Erlin -- Cashner

are perfect

OF Mike Trout, Matt Kemp, Kole Calhoun, Leonys Martin, Dalton Pompey (Randal Grichuk, Chris Heisey)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan, Shane Greene, Nate Karns, Robbie Erlin)
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger, Joe Smith, Jordan Walden, Zach Duke)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Todd Zola »

James McCann - Avila is back but is very tenuous. McCann is supposed to be the guy in 2016 but it could be earlier.

Brandon Cumpton - back to handcuffing guys we own, in this case AJ Burnett

C Russell Martin, Hank Conger (Josh Phegley, Caleb Joseph, James McCann)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan, Shane Greene, Nate Karns, Robbie Erlin, Brandon Cumpton)

* also OF
** also 3B

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

Sorry, been on the road -- all that's left is for us to take Mr. Irrelevant. I'm about to go to my nephew's Bat Mitzvah so Sam will be making the last pick.

Since we last cyber-spoke

D.J. Peterson - part Seager hedge, part possible 1B/DH call-up in season.
R.J. Alvarez - spec closer play, originally in SD then dealt to OAK and I like his chances even better with the A's
David Phelps - In NY? NFW. In Miami? WTF.
Kyle Lobstein - could see starts if someone gets hurt
Sean Nolin - dealt to OAK, could be Gravemen hedge
Travis Ishikawa - a bench player but could see stretches of work with injuries

We got lucky with some trades, etc. Norris going to SD clearing the way for Phegley to platoon in OAK. Wieters could be delayed to start the season so Joseph could get a lot of time early. My money's on Boxberger for saves in Tampa. Kemp is admittedly step down in SD though the arthritis doesn't concern me this season.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Todd Zola »

Mr. Irrelevant is Taylor Jordan. Last spring he battled Tanner Roark for the last spot in the WAS rotation while Fister was out and obviously lost but he's a capable starters (coming off surgery to remove bone spurs).

C Russell Martin, Hank Conger (Josh Phegley, Caleb Joseph, James McCann)
1B/3B Adrian Gonzalez, Kyle Seager, Billy Butler (Justin Smoak, Ike Davis, ***Mitch Moreland, D.J. Peterson, ***Travis Ishikawa)
UT Josh Reddick
SP Max Scherzer, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, AJ Burnett, Jake Odorizzi, Yovani Gallardo, Kevin Graveman (Brandon Finnegan, Shane Greene, Nate Karns, Robbie Erlin, Brandon Cumpton, David Phelps, Kyle Lobstein, Sean Nolin)
CL Cody Allen, David Robertson (Brad Boxberger, Joe Smith, Jordan Walden, Zach Duke, R.J. Alvarez)

* also OF
** also 3B