Auction keeper leagues - guaranteed 1 year rentals

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Auction keeper leagues - guaranteed 1 year rentals

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Which players are guaranteed one year rentals in your leagues - the players who someone is saving up a whole lot of units for just for one year and back he goes next year? The player who is going to be targeted for big bucks because someone feels he's the missing piece to a title chance? To start:
  • Miggy
  • Kershaw
  • Kimbrel
  • Goldschmidt
  • Bautista
Any others ...was tempted to put Mc Cutcheon in there but it seems a bit too soon for that.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

Re: Auction keeper leagues - guaranteed 1 year rentals

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

This year, in my league:

King Felix
Verlander

I expect each to command close to, or more than, 40 units.

Much like a beautiful woman with no self esteem, a $44 Felix has been with 3 men in the last 3 days. I don't expect any of them to retain his services and it will be back to the singles scene for him.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Those are excellent choices, ARC. Does David Wright belong in this group, you think?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Which players are guaranteed one year rentals in your leagues - the players who someone is saving up a whole lot of units for just for one year and back he goes next year? The player who is going to be targeted for big bucks because someone feels he's the missing piece to a title chance? To start:
  • Miggy
  • Kershaw
  • Kimbrel
  • Goldschmidt
  • Bautista
Any others ...was tempted to put Mc Cutcheon in there but it seems a bit too soon for that.

I presume you are talking keeper leagues that DON'T have a lot of inflation - I play in two leagues, one AL and one NL that have high but normal inflation in the NL and sometimes extremely high - north of 40% in the AL so Miguel Cabrera was drafted in 2011 at 52 and kept all three years by that team until traded late last year in his final year to a contender for a nice basket of goodies.

I suspect he will go in the 50s again this year - only the presence of Prince Fielder (who was a one year player at $51 - specifically drafted last year by a rebuilding team who traded him to some guy on a ship for his first round minor league draft pick this year turned out will be 1.01) and both Verlander and Price plus the new players from the NL might keep it below 55 - and several of the teams that might get him will likely keep him next year unless he is moved at the trade deadline this year.

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Those are excellent choices, ARC. Does David Wright belong in this group, you think?
Not sure, I haven't looked at the NL in a few years. I barely have enough time for the AL.

BUT, I will say that if 3B in the NL is anything like 3B in the AL, then yes.

Mr. Wright looks like a 1 year rental.

Great thread, BTW

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote: I presume you are talking keeper leagues that DON'T have a lot of inflation - I play in two leagues, one AL and one NL that have high but normal inflation in the NL and sometimes extremely high - north of 40% in the AL so Miguel Cabrera was drafted in 2011 at 52 and kept all three years by that team until traded late last year in his final year to a contender for a nice basket of goodies.

I suspect he will go in the 50s again this year - only the presence of Prince Fielder (who was a one year player at $51 - specifically drafted last year by a rebuilding team who traded him to some guy on a ship for his first round minor league draft pick this year turned out will be 1.01) and both Verlander and Price plus the new players from the NL might keep it below 55 - and several of the teams that might get him will likely keep him next year unless he is moved at the trade deadline this year.
No I am actually including high inflation leagues in the question .... and 4x4 and 5x5 as well. Last year, our 4x4 only AL saw Miggy go for 59 which was a stunner at auction - but you just knew that was a pennant push when it happened. As expected, he's been thrown back for auction this year. I would be curious about the risk/reward your last Miggy owner reaped in the three years he owned him... because you bring up an interesting adjunct, Perry. I didn't think I'd find many high priced 3 year Miggy auction/keeper owners - but I'd sure like to know how they finished in the years they owned him.

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

Well he was bought (this time) by a team that was taking a shot - but they didn't have enough to go with him in 2011 or 2012 (or what they bought didn't work) But they didn't want to give him up and until his expiring year last season didn't get enough for him but last year it was take the best offer (there were several) and the got mlers Kevin Gausman and Michael Choice and a first round ml draft pick for this year as well as two roster fillers.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#8 Post by alleyoops »

It might be different for leagues which have a relatively low in-season salary cap. In these leagues, over-paying for a stud may not be the best strategy, as it hurts your value-per-dollar, even with the stellar stats. I think the most successful owners in these kinds of leagues avoid these guys in the auction, then trade for studs who are priced "right" during the season, to make their push.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

We use a $300 in season cap which I think is perfect for $260 auction leagues with keeper inflation - perhaps added to because we have very large (potentially) minor league FARM systems which really lets owners develop players and also serves as the "coin of the realm" for trades for overpriced or expiring studs (along with upgrades for the following spring's minor league draft - a first round ml pick is very valuable)