Goins vs Garcia

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Goins vs Garcia

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

There were a few blurbs about the Captain's LABR AL team and after reading Perry's article, I had a thought (shaddup) and that thought evolved into a question that will get a separate post. GIVEN that Perry was doing his best to seek out an all starter offense, I see the point with Goins - but - if that all starter theorem aside, who is the better bet is 2014 potentially? 28/2 in 119 ABs does not impress especially if all you get are seven extra base hits. Can he improve - sure .. other things can happens as well. However, considering that Gordon Beckham's numbers are pointing straight down (more he plays, worse he gets), might a 22 year old Leury Garcia produce on a par with a 26 year old Goins (with a 4 year age difference being a significant factor) with a similar number of ABs (lets say 200-250 range)?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

Re: Goins vs Garcia

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I really liked Garcia - saw him coming up in the Rangers organization .... BUT he was blocked in that organization and got a fresh place but not really better PT prospects in Chicago - at least this year. Beckham is still the starter and the White Sox seem to strongly favor Marcus Semien over Garcia since he can play third base as well as both middle infield slots, AND he has Micah Johnson climbing up his ass at second base. That said Garcia might be the extra MI on opening day or he could start the year in the minor leagues.

Meanwhile Goins IS the starting 2B for Toronto and I am betting gets a lot more than 250 at bats - or I will be looking to replace him

You might have a better comparison for Garcia (assuming he makes the club) with Maicer Izturis from the Blue Jays (although I would bet Izturis gets more at bats this year.

Going forward Garcia might have more upside IF Chicago trades Beckham (or just gives up on him after this year) and Semien settles in at SS or 3B (or gets traded) (OR if Goins fails), but I am just looking at 2014