YO captain

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
maddog

YO captain

#1 Post by maddog »

I have taken the plunge on a draft and hold league, start drafting tom. any words of wisdom for a rookie ?
thanks

Captain Hook

Re: YO captain

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well the bad news is that starting tomorrow I am on the road for a few weeks - and won't likely have great access at sea ... BUT
there are plenty of others to answer questions and give advice - Todd may be knee deep (or higher) in changing a lot of projections but loves the format and will chime in.

Here is my overall plan

1) You likely have 50 roster spots - I want 25 of those to be pitchers
2) Catchers get hurt so I like to have four on the roster (and guys like Yan Gomes or Evan Gattis who have multiple position eligibility can really help over the course of a long season
3) Multiple position infielders are also a big plus
4) First few rounds really depend on your draft spot but from most spots I want to start the draft with two hitters and one STUD (and healthy) SP
5) I also want power with those two hitters as it becomes increasingly harder to find those guys who you are confident will play every day. I would take Trout with the first pick (and did with 1.01 at First Pitch AZ NFBC D/H league - then took Carlos Gomez at 2.15 and Jose Fernandez at 3.01)
6) If you have an experienced group the SP will go off the boards early - Kershaw in late first or early second and then several more dependable starters in rounds two and three (in AZ they weren't NFBC experienced and while Kershaw went early Fernandez was only the second pitcher off the board)
7) No reason to rush on closers - you take the ones you like when you feel you need to and then pick lots of might get chances later guys

HAVE FUN

maddog

Re: YO captain

#3 Post by maddog »

Thanks , I like the thoughts.