Which Cuban will have a bigger impact?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Boulder Rifles

Which Cuban will have a bigger impact?

#1 Post by Boulder Rifles »

Miguel Gonzalez or Alexander Guerrero are in play here. Do to a quirk in my NL Auction League, I have a chance to acquire both at below a normal auction price. Next week, I can pick any unclaimed prospect with rookie status, but they have to make their NL team out of spring training. If they don't, they go back into the available player pool where they are available in a supplemental draft where I also have the first round pick. Thus, if one makes their team and one doesn't (but comes up even a week later), I can end up with both if one starts in the minors.

Guerrero was being held out as needing time in the minors but the Dodgers dropped Mark Ellis, opening the door for him. Gonzalez has had a season here, so he seems like a lock to make the Phillies rotation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Captain Hook

Re: Which Cuban will have a bigger impact?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Boulder Rifles wrote:Miguel Gonzalez or Alexander Guerrero are in play here. Do to a quirk in my NL Auction League, I have a chance to acquire both at below a normal auction price. Next week, I can pick any unclaimed prospect with rookie status, but they have to make their NL team out of spring training. If they don't, they go back into the available player pool where they are available in a supplemental draft where I also have the first round pick. Thus, if one makes their team and one doesn't (but comes up even a week later), I can end up with both if one starts in the minors.

Guerrero was being held out as needing time in the minors but the Dodgers dropped Mark Ellis, opening the door for him. Gonzalez has had a season here, so he seems like a lock to make the Phillies rotation. Any advice would be appreciated.
First given there are other Miguel Gonzalez we should correctly refer to the Phillies pitcher as Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

I think both can be valuable for your team in 2014 BUT given that we have a hitter vs a pitcher I think Alexander Guerrero who will presumably be playing second base for the Dodgers (slim chance he plays shortstop but Hanley Ramirez would have to WANT to play third base which I don't think is the case) is the much better pickup.

Boulder Rifles

Re: Which Cuban will have a bigger impact?

#3 Post by Boulder Rifles »

Thanks, that is the way I am leaning, particularly since I need offense but I am also greedy and want them both.

I am guaranteed to get one of them. Two would vastly improve my team.