Just some humble reminders for 2014

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Just some humble reminders for 2014

#1 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Here are a few things you might let slip by you next year because we tend to forget things from the prior year;
  • There should be NO doubts about Alex Cobb's makeup going into your 2014 player acquisition cycle. Don't look at what's he's done ... look at what he's come back from.
  • Next year, whatever you do, avoid the temptation to utter the following names; "Bonifacio", "Phillips", "Pena, Carlos", "Furcal", "Freese" ....more to come.
  • In the words of Judge Marilyn Milian, do NOT believe Corey Hart's tongue even if if comes notarized.
  • Ned Yost was re-signed to a two year deal but it most likely isn't because of the great job he did. Remember, 2014 is the final year of the KC Plan as constantly referred to by Dayton Moore - but the minor league cupboard is now bare. and this team finished 28th in HR in 2013. ONE ..count 'em ...ONE player to hit 20 homers. Unless they plan to get a big gift from the power fairy in December, beware.
  • Ervin Santana wants a $100 million dollar contract - there should be a proviso that he has to give back at least $20 K for every gopher ball he gives up through the length of the contract!
  • If you REALLY want to see something scary, look at the run differential for the 2013 New York Yankees. Starting with 2009, their run differential has been: 162, 166, 210, 136, -21. Wasn't this the place that had balls just flying out a few scant years ago? See any hope it's gong to get better for them any time soon?
More to come as Hot Stove moves on.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Just some humble reminders for 2014

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Brandon League has had off season corrective eye surgery - just remember, they operated on his eyes, not his arm. They didn't add any more juice there.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

THIS is where Robinson Cano chose to go?? Keep Beyonce on the road, Jay - you made not be in this business long. Bod? if you're out there and you haven't already seen this, you should. Says a lot about the Mariners and their "future";

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2 ... 08xml.html

Headline; "Dysfunction at the top: Eric Wedge, others point to trouble in Mariners’ front office ". And yet, just another case of using the time honored tradition of throwing money at a problem rather than fixing it.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#4 Post by CubFan »

Wow. This sounds so similar to the Scott Pioli era with the Kansas City Chiefs. This is also similar in investing in stocks. Better find good management as over time poor management destroys a company. Have to wonder how much this will affect 2014 Mariner player values? Were the players aware how dysfunctional upper management is? They will now that this is in print. This is something that an algorithm can't account for......the intangibles.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I am so stunned at this one, I still need time to think about what I think. The National Post and NBC's Hardball Times is reporting this (1/12/14);
On John Axford’s first day with the St. Louis Cardinals, his new coaches sat him down for a meeting. We’ve been scouting you for five years, they said. And by the way, you might be interested in one thing we know about you: You’re tipping your pitches.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/01/ ... rofitable/

BTW, the Brewers pitching coach? Has been the Brewers pitching coach since the 2011 season and still is. Does it make you wonder if there's anything else the Brewers may be missing out on?

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#6 Post by CubFan »

If these articles on Axford are true he certainly moves way up on my draft board….especially if he looks good in ST.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:I am so stunned at this one, I still need time to think about what I think. The National Post and NBC's Hardball Times is reporting this (1/12/14);
On John Axford’s first day with the St. Louis Cardinals, his new coaches sat him down for a meeting. We’ve been scouting you for five years, they said. And by the way, you might be interested in one thing we know about you: You’re tipping your pitches.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/01/ ... rofitable/

BTW, the Brewers pitching coach? Has been the Brewers pitching coach since the 2011 season and still is. Does it make you wonder if there's anything else the Brewers may be missing out on?
Axford supposedly was told in Milwaukee but blew it off.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

CubFan wrote:If these articles on Axford are true he certainly moves way up on my draft board….especially if he looks good in ST.
WAY up? Good luck with that.

At best I'll now concede he'll start with the job in Cleveland and I'll be drafting Cody Allen any place I can afford to stash him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:Axford supposedly was told in Milwaukee but blew it off.
Now this is interesting .... so what do we have here, Todd??? A 29 year old (at the time) Trevor Bauer (who I understand is finally getting around to wearing his big boy pants) or an ineffectual managerial/coaching staff? I don't know if anything was said to him in Milwaukee or not - but, if it was and he blew it off?? He wouldn't get a chance to kill my job considering he didn't have a great deal of ML history on his side. To me, you got to your pitching coach and say "What's with Axford?" and you get "He's ignoring me", then you get to sit your 2.5 total years of ML experience on the pine until you either listen or stop blowing ball games. It also indicates that he may not be a bargain if he WAS told in Milwaukee and Cleveland can't get him on the right page either.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Axford supposedly was told in Milwaukee but blew it off.
Now this is interesting .... so what do we have here, Todd??? A 29 year old (at the time) Trevor Bauer (who I understand is finally getting around to wearing his big boy pants) or an ineffectual managerial/coaching staff? I don't know if anything was said to him in Milwaukee or not - but, if it was and he blew it off?? He wouldn't get a chance to kill my job considering he didn't have a great deal of ML history on his side. To me, you got to your pitching coach and say "What's with Axford?" and you get "He's ignoring me", then you get to sit your 2.5 total years of ML experience on the pine until you either listen or stop blowing ball games. It also indicates that he may not be a bargain if he WAS told in Milwaukee and Cleveland can't get him on the right page either.
Note the date of this piece and the credibility/pedigree of who first pointed it out...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fa ... 84049.html

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Thank you, sir for that very interesting article ... no Axford for ME this year. YO! Sons of the Cuyahoga! Buon Fortuna! Guy in the bigs less that a year blowing off coaches! And Milwaukee lets him do it for three years!?!?!

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

File it away - managers who wouldn't say boo about their next series if this were the regular season are announcing to the world who their O.D. pitchers are ...like it matters and we're too stupid to realize it. This one had Lasix off season, that one is in the best shape of his life, the other guy is rededicating himself and Cano still doesn't bust out of the box. File it under information we are already in possession of.

You know what spring training is good for? Guys like Matt Harrison ... two surgeries last year and he's complaining about soreness in the same location now? Rutt Roooh!

Guys like Felix Doubront - who, if you didn't realize the Red Sox just told you this, is a 26 year old who isn't projected to throw 200 innings this year ...so they signed a 36 year old who is??

Guys like Jesse Crain and Chad Qualls - one who's hurting (again) and one who MAY get you 10-12 saves this year until they find the next flavor of the month in the Astro pen ... and doesn't this tell you a lot about what the 'Stros REALLY think about Josh Fields ...so much for last year's spec, eh?

And do the Rockies think Brett Anderson is LESS likely to get hurt this year because he'll be at altitude half they year?? And does Jesus Montero need to desperately buy a clue?? One less decision the M's have to make about their 25 man. And I know it's an "individual" decision ...but it's also a little more substance to the stuff about the M' front office.

Just sayin'