Allen Webster

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
AllstonRockCity

Allen Webster

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

If you play in an AL Only league and he is available for some reason, pick him up ASAP, while you still can.

This kid has all the tools. He's already pitched pretty well in 1 big league start. In that start he was so nervous that his 2 seamer looked like a 4 seamer when he overthrew it. With those butterflies out of the way he could become a rotation mainstay as an SP4 or SP5 in an AL only.

From the main page......

Red Sox | Allen Webster could stick around
Tue, 07 May 2013 16:19:32 -0700

Boston Red Sox SP Allen Webster could remain with the team for a while depending on how long the bullpen remains depleted and how well he pitches. He tossed six scoreless innings with Triple-A Pawtucket last Friday and struck out nine hitters. SP Felix Doubront, who was moved to the bullpen temporarily, allowed 12 hits and six runs in 3 2/3 innings in his last outing and had decreased velocity. Doubront has walked 13 hitters in 18 1/3 innings in his previous three starts. Webster has struck out 26 hitters in 20 innings with Pawtucket, and scouts are saying that he has the best stuff of any pitcher in camp. If he pitches well Wednesday, May 8, he may be in line for an extended stay in the rotation.

Captain Hook

Re: Allen Webster

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree - sadly I got sniped on Webster in my AL only keeper leagues

BUT if in such a league where Webster was available AND I could reserve him if/when he is sent down I would jump all over him as I think he might be a potential keeper for next year

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#3 Post by Black Sox »

1.2 innings 6 hits 8 ER 3 W 2 K's As they say that's NOT what we were looking for. No less of a prospect, but I was hopeful he might take the job and run with it.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Webster was only up for one start - maybe two and obviously a disappointing outing.

But he will be back and may well be in the 2014 rotation in Boston

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Captain Hook wrote:Webster was only up for one start - maybe two and obviously a disappointing outing.

But he will be back and may well be in the 2014 rotation in Boston
I had to work. did anyone actually watch him pitch? if so, how did he look? as bad his line, or were there other things going on?

I would say that he is definitely in the rotation next year. I don't see how he can't be.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Picture a deer on the mound and behind home plate there was a car with its high beams on.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote:Picture a deer on the mound and behind home plate there was a car with its high beams on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda what I thought as its kinda how things looked the 1st time. The fact that he probably could guess that he was auditioning for a spot in the rotation only exacerbated that I'm sure.

Good to know as those types of things usually (Rick Ankiel, I'm looking at you) aren't a big deal.

Dear RedSox Management:
For the sake of Pete, please make sure his next start is on the road.
Thank you

Dennis

#8 Post by Dennis »

Webster was call u- then sent down and call up and sent down again. He will be a top pitcher. Boston has to manny starters right now. But you should grab him now. I have run a fantasy league for over 20 years